Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Defending my favorite series

I have been looking around at some of the games and the decline in the Japanes market share, going from almost 50% to less than %10 over the last 8 years.

So when I say Monster Hunter is a phenomenon over there its a little less impressive at first, but Japans declining influence helps explain why one of the greatest series on the world has gone largely unnoticed in America.

First, why do I think its unappreciated in this country? Lets look at some simple numbers:

PlayStation Portable games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (4.12 million in Japan)[154]
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (3.1 million;[55] 3.5 million shipped)[55]
    Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (2,725,507 approximately: 2 million in US,[155] 125,507 in Japan,[156] 600,000 in UK)[38]
    Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (2.59 million approximately; 830,000 in Japan, 710,000 in North America,[157][158] 550,000 in Europe)[158]
    Gran Turismo (2.32 million)[111]
    Daxter (2.3 million)[159]
    Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (2.3 million)[55]
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy (1.81 million)[134]
    Need for Speed Most Wanted 5-1-0 (1.32 million approximately: 1.1 million in US,[155] 200,000 in UK,[23] 27,151 in Japan)[156]
    Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition (1.3 million approximately: 1.1 million in US,[155] 200,000 in UK)[23]
    Monster Hunter Freedom (1.2 million)[55]
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (1.13 million approximately; 950,000 in US,[155] 100,000 in UK,[20] 80,420 in Japan)[156]
    Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (1 million)[160]
    Tekken: Dark Resurrection (1 million)[161]
    Wipeout Pure (1 million)[162]
    The number one PSP series in the world is Monster Hunter. The 3rd installment tops the charts and has not even been released int he US because of lack of potential interest.

Now, keeping in mind that we have a VERY advertisement driven market lets look at the score a popular magazine like Gameinformer gave Monster Hunter3, (one of the few games in world to get a perfect score from japans largest game magazine, weekly fumatsu):

A Mechanically Flawed Experience That Rewards Patience - Monster Hunter Tri - Nintendo Wii - www.GameInformer.com

And I quote "Monster Hunter Tri should be a terrible game for a variety of reasons."

How does one of the best selling games in history get called a terrible game on line one of such a popular magazine?!

Now here is the kicker, the score they gave was so biased that it wasnt even originally included in the Metascore breakdown, until about a year after its release. The metascore is one of the few to range as high as 100 and as low as 60. Obviously is one of the most debatable scores:

Metacritic
    Monster Hunter Tri for Wii Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

Why do people like this series? Its got hardcore appeal that no other series can really equal. Literally one of the hardest games to master I have ever played. For an idea of what some of the gameplay looks like I recommend watching a few google weapon tutorials:

psp american version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiG1zT67eV4

MH3 wii:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arpEkdM39sg

Rant:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    If you think thats bad, thats an expert player with maxed out armor and weapon stats and its still a ten minute battle. Not to mention to craft new items you sometimes end up killing a few dozen of a single type of monster. AND on top of that, once you have ascended to a new level of power through crafting those items they double the creatures power for its + version, and then again for its G version.

On the upside, there are a lot of monsters and it keeps track of what you kill:

Just from my PSP version:

(also keep in mind there are different sub species represented by color variations as well as ranks for most monsters)

Felyne:17
    Melynx:177
    Shakalka:60
    Vespoid:576
    Hornetaur:190
    Great Thunderbug:76
    Anteka:60
    Popo:46
    Kelbi:33
    Mosswine:133
    Aptonoth:59
    Apceros:100
    Giaprey:194
    Giadrome:18
    Velociprey:192
    Velocidrome:14
    Genprey:172
    Gendrome:17
    Ioprey:162
    Iodrome:26
    Yian Kut-Ku:45
    Yian Garuga:11
    Gypceros:15
    Remobra:63
    Rathian:37
    Rathalos:46
    Khezu:21
    Basarios:12
    Gravios:31
    Monoblos:28
    Diablos:31
    Tigrex:26
    Akantor:10
    Cephalos:54
    Cephadrome:18
    Plesioth:19
    Hermitaur:149
    Daimyo Hermitaur:49
    Ceantaur:71
    Shogun Ceantaur:29
    Shen Gaoren:12
    Bullfango:138
    Bulldrome:29
    Conga:188
    Congalala:23
    Blango:271
    Blangonga:40
    Rajang:32
    Kirin:14
    Kushala Daora:12
    Chameleos:11
    Lunastra:10
    Toestra:11
    Lao-Shan Lung:17
    Fatalis:15

There are almost entirely different monsters in MH3, and all monsters in the series appear in the MMO version of this series. And considering there is usually an armor and weapon set for each monster there are literally millions of combinations and ways to customize, as well as latent abilities and ability gems you can socket and remove at will.

small example:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tdJWrVVRKoQ/TWLkJI6jc1I/AAAAAAAAAAc/-ZBGtrMSYEE/s1600/Gunning+Armor+Sets.png

There is most likely something close to 60-70 armor skills you can get benefits from, as well as a negative effect if any area is subtracted to far.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

So the depth and sheer potential for unlimited gameplay is staggering. One of the most addicting and challenging gameplay formulas I have ever had the pleasure of getting addicted to.

This concludes part one of my review of the series. I will try and formulate a part two based on factors and downfalls in the series that might have prevented its recognition in the US market next.
    Last edited by BobTD; 05-03-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Nice post, Bob :P

I really do like Monster Hunter Tri... I mostly wish it wasn't for the Wii :/

it is an epic game, though.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Yea I wish it was for PC >.< think of all the possibilities... one huge open world, 32 player co-op, hundereds of pieces of equipment, amazing character customization, better visuals...

Or we just get the Monster Hunter MMORPG :3

I've heard so much about the game and have seen plenty of gameplay but never had the pleasure of playing it myself.

Looks like a game I'd enjoy a few years back, not so much these days.

Great review though. Makes me want to try the game, and I actually have a PSP for it! I'm watching through the videos you posted. The first one looks familiar, I probably saw a bit of it before.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Monster hunter stole my heart at a young age and makes me with I was born in japan Just for that series. These games online co-op is some of the most fun i have ever had and had me and my friends spending more than a couple hundred hours each per character per game. I pray that Frontier comes to the U.S. on a 360 release like it has in japan but know deep down that the chances are slim D :

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Yea I wish it was for PC >.< think of all the possibilities... one huge open world, 32 player co-op, hundereds of pieces of equipment, amazing character customization, better visuals...

Or we just get the Monster Hunter MMORPG :3
    The PC version is frontier. The somewhat MMO version of the game. It was also release onto the 360 this year making it possible it could come to the us.

If that never happens, you could always watch a few tutorials on how to setup an account to play the Japanese version. Considering the style of the game it would not be that hard to figure out how to play. Choosing monsters to hunt and learning the symbols for the most important items is the only thing that would take some patience to learn.

There is actually a large number of people in the US playing the PC version, however playing from the US is against the terms of service for some reason so in game mods will ban you if you make it obvious you are from the US.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

MHF was the reason I lost countless hours fighting dragons, scavenging for items, and trying to get my cats to cook me a good meal...lol I loved every minute of it! I think a lot of people overlook it, but it really is a great game. If my PSP didn't die on me I'd probably still be playing it.

The theme of monster was a success in japan because its inline with japanese tv and kids culture and the like.....not even close to that found in US.....that explains it

I <3 Monster Hunter and i really want to to go to Xbox, it could replace the Halo franchise easily

I recently heard they were doing studies to see how it would go in the US. What the results of that study were or if it is going to come here are still unknown though... At least they thought about us right?

Thread Information