Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Default Muffin's Minecraft Tutorial: The Basics/Surviving the First Night

Hullo, everyone. As we've had a surge of popularity in Minecraft, lately, I thought I'd make a little tutorial on the basics for those of you who are interested. There's a lot of confusion when you first start playing the game, so I've put together a little guide to help get you started! If you've been swayed into buying this game by Dili's review, then let me help you out by giving you a little more information. This will be a picture-heavy post, so beware!

All right! So, let's say you've opened the game, and you're now... sitting in the middle of a large, blocky world. The first thing you should do is look for one of these bad boys:

Yeeeeah. Trees are the most important thing to find when you're starting out. Go ahead and left click on a block of the tree trunk (don't click multiple times -- hold the mouse button down), and you'll see this happen:

Pick up the little block of wood, and you'll have gotten your first resource! Yay! Keep hacking away at that tree for some more wood, and a few more trees, if you like. What you need to do next is start looking for a shelter before the night comes. As you search, you'll probably notice some animals around you:

Hit sheep for wool, kill cows for leather, and kill pigs for porkchops. Chickens lay eggs randomly and will drop feathers upon dying. Make sure you get a few porkchops as you look for a suitable area, as you'll need them later.

I got lucky when I found this mountain with some coal visible right on the surface. If you can find something like this, it will make a wonderful hovel! Coal is a really important resource. You want to go ahead and carve into the dirt somewhere to make a nice little home for yourself. Then, you'll want to do some crafting.

Open up your inventory ("i" or "e" by default) to see this screen. Put your wood in one of the crafting boxes to make wooden planks.

Once you've got planks, put one plank in each of the slots, and you'll get a crafting table! This is one of the most important things you can make in the game, and allows you to make almost everything else you need. Put the crafting table in the bottom line of your inventory, and then use your mouse wheel (or number keys) to get to the right item slot. Right click with the crafting table selected, and you've got it set :)

Note the gray block, stone, which you can technically break by hand, but will not be able to harvest resources from. To be able to mine it, we need to make a pickaxe! Take your wood planks, and put one plank in the square above another plank (can be done in your inventory instead of the crafting table).

Once you've got some sticks, you're ready to make a pickaxe! Remember that in Minecraft, you place the items in the relative shape of the item you want to create. Thusly, we can make a pickaxe with wooden planks and sticks like so:

This will create a wooden pickaxe (which is not very strong or durable). Once you have other resources, you can substitute the wooden planks at the top for stone, iron, gold, or diamond (diamond being the most desirable and gold being kind of worthless). You can also make other tools (swords, hoes, axes), too, but I won't get into them in this tutorial. Now you can mine stone and coal! Get some coal to make torches, which are incredibly important. This is how you make them:

You're going to want to light up your little hovel with some torches, because monsters will only spawn in dark places. If you've got a lit room, you'll be safe for the duration of the night (as long as they can't get inside). Speaking of them getting in, you should make a door to your place! This is how they are crafted:

Doors are nice, as they let you see when it starts to get light outside again, and monsters can't open them. This is what it will look like:

If you haven't mined some stone, you should do so. Once you get enough, you can craft a Furnace.

Furnaces allow you to smelt things. You can smelt an incredible amount of resources, and this allows you to craft better, stronger materials. Right now, you'll want to cook your porkchops in it! Raw porkchops will restore lost health (from falling damage or being hit by monsters), but cooked porkchops restore a lot more!

You can use a lot of different things as fuel to smelt things, such as coal (you usually want to use this), wood, and even lava.

Before I end the tutorial, I'll talk briefly about monsters.

Monsters spawn at night (or will frighten you as you mine and open up a dark cavern), and they each have their own special traits. Skeleton archers can shoot you from far away, zombies will moan at you and are generally easily evaded, spiders are quick and can climb walls, and creepers will silently come at you and SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsuicide bomb you and hurt you as well as exploding a ton of blocks around wherever you are. Skeletons drop bones, zombies drop feathers (for some mysterious reason), spiders drop string, and creepers will drop gunpowder if you kill them.

In addition, spiders and creepers will not disappear with the sunrise. Skeletons and zombies, however, will be set on fire:

They only catch on fire in sunlight, not the light of torches, so :P

This concludes my basic tutorial for very, very basic survival skills. There's so much more to learn to the game!

Make sure to check out the Minecraft wiki, especially the Crafting page!

Thanks for reading, or skimming to the bottom of the post because you were too lazy to read it. :P

TL;DR: ....play Minecraft!
    Last edited by Muffincat; 05-08-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typoz

^ Sig by Foofle ^

You know, you can have a serie of it.

Either way good tutorial.

Awesome guide Muffin Love it, check your inbox though!!!
    ##WARNING! [-SAPH-]_virus.exe has been detected in your thread!##
    ##Initiating Saph_Removal_Tool.exe program module A...##
    ##Saph_Removal_Tool.exe program has failed##
    ##Initiating EMERGENCY_BACKUP_SAPH_REMOVAL##

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Quote Originally Posted by paecmaker View Post
    You know, you can have a serie of it.

Either way good tutorial.
    Ah, I don't think I'll make any more of them... In my opinion, a huge part of this game is exploring and figuring things out; I wouldn't want to spoil too much of that. I know others are interested, though, which I wouldn't mind :P

The first step into the world can just be really confusing, and I think after you've got these first things under your belt, you're free to go about on your own!

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Hay guys! I'll be making the 2nd chapter of this guide Just for those who'd like some tips n' tricks on how to avoid unnecersary death and death-by-fire (falling in lava), also some tips on how to build your home safer, and faster, so you can get on with the decorations faster Minecraft relies alot on HOW you build, and the more trivial little things you do while building, the more daylight you waste, and the more time you actually spend building during the night(which can be very tricky)

So I has reserved the 2nd chapter For those who got the basics from Muffins wonderful review, I'll be adding the frosting to the cake in a few hours!

Exentenzed is offline Professional (Battlefield) Helicopter Pilot.

Now Saph, are you sure you are realy the right person to tutor people on how to not end up in lava? :P (Saph's #1 reason for death: Lava.) xD

No but seriously though, I suppose since you have the most experience with it you would make a good tutorial on that.

Sig. by Psychotray

ahhh, lava the nr 1 cause of human torches.

@Exe: Lol Exe you hit the nail on the head Since I've died in a fire so many times now, I figured I could make a tutorial not on what to do, but on what NOT to do! Lol

Off topic PS: Hope you like the mini entrance I made on your gate, just to avoid accidental mob entrances.

@Paec: Got that right, as Exe can give a testimony for I have lost possibly THOUSANDS of blocks, be it dirt, stone, gravel, gold etc. from falling into lava. The style I am most prune to? Digging downward and not even considering the option that I may fall helplessly into a 3 blocks deep pool of lava............

Quote Originally Posted by Exentenzed View Post
    Now Saph, are you sure you are realy the right person to tutor people on how to not end up in lava? :P (Saph's #1 reason for death: Lava.) xD

No but seriously though, I suppose since you have the most experience with it you would make a good tutorial on that. ;)
    This is exactly what I was thinking as I read that post

After chapter 2, who knows, maybe I'll drop a chapter of a minecraft tut :o we can make a GF collective of minecraft information!
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

Quote Originally Posted by Diligence109 View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking as I read that post
    The part that It is NOT a good idea that I do it, or the part that it IS a good idea that I do it?

Thread Information