Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
    Older games were a lot more creative with things because there wasn't enough technology to make a lot of things work. I've heard that the fog was added to Silent Hill to mask some of the graphical limitations of the game, and the original Metal Gear was designed as a stealth game because the system's limitations wouldn't allow kojima to make an action game to his liking. Nowadays, every shooter basically controls the same, every 3rd person action game controls basically the same, etc. Everything is becoming uniform it seems.
    I agree, most new games were modelled on their ancestors

Quote Originally Posted by snake_eyes_555 View Post
    I agree, most new games were modelled on their ancestors
    Yeah thats true but also many games copied eachover back then to.

For example pong. It came LOTS of copies with only small differences and, yes there are many good older games but there are also many bad.

Everything wasnt good back then.

Of course I play older games.

The Legend of Zelda for example or Freelancer, Star Wars Jedi Academy, Thief, Gothic, Battle Realms and a lot more.

well of course EVERYTHING wasn't good back in the day, but things were a lot more original and different. I feel like everything looks and plays the same, but have different gimmicks to separate the games from each other

I've been thinkin lately (and by lately I mean the past minute, and the thought pops up every now and then) that I prefer older games to newer games. Older games just seem more fun to play, and newer games seem like levels aren't as interesting to play in, but they're covered up with a lot of flash to make up for it. Of course, not all modern games are all flash, there's a lot of great ones, but I often find myself enjoying older games more. Anybody else feel this way? What are some of your favorite games from past generations?
    I generally feel that I prefer the gaming experiences of the past to modern ones. I think part of it is that there was more.. risk taking. more of a pioneering spirit back in the days of the older consoles. these days, what with the (american, at least) economy being in the state that it's in.. people are just going with the 'safe bet' games. so we're getting a whole lot of the same ****.

I still like travelling back a few eras for some Sonic 2, Kirby's Adventure, Crash Bandicoot, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, FF7, MGS, etc etc- the list goes on.

Nostalga. That's usually enoguh to have people hooked to games, either it be old school or recent. However, old school has a bigger pull v.s newer games, since they've been around longer...

BIGERU BANGERU

Quote Originally Posted by R3d M4g3 View Post
    Nostalga. That's usually enoguh to have people hooked to games, either it be old school or recent. However, old school has a bigger pull v.s newer games, since they've been around longer...
    it's not even nostlagia a lot of the time though, as I can often pick up an older game (that i've never played) and enjoy it way more than a more recent game. For example...when I first got Resident Evil on the gamecube, I enjoyed it a great deal. However, any next-gen survival horror games i've played I thought were stupid.

it's not even nostlagia a lot of the time though, as I can often pick up an older game (that i've never played) and enjoy it way more than a more recent game. For example...when I first got Resident Evil on the gamecube, I enjoyed it a great deal. However, any next-gen survival horror games i've played I thought were stupid.
    Its because its more that play games.

Maybe the doom of games is the numbers of players. before it was only hardcore fans and now the majority is mainstream gamers. The companies arent taking so many chances as before, Of many of the games realesed 2011/2012 how many are succesors.

BUT, humans have a thing to the past, everythin seemed so better back then and if we play many classics today they are unplayable.

The Older Final Fantasy's (I, II, III in America) were epic, Doom and Doom II, Duke Nukem, The first two Fallouts and Half Life.

BIGERU BANGERU

Quote Originally Posted by R3d M4g3 View Post
    The Older Final Fantasy's (I, II, III in America)
    so....FFI, FFIV, and FFVI?

Thread Information