Default Star Wars: The Force Unleashed(Xbox 360)

Hello fellow gamers and wonderful review readers!

This time we're gonna talk about one of the drop dead most awesome Star Wars games that I've ever had the pleassure of buying out of desperation(I wanted SOME game, and I had money for one, but had NO idea what to get, so I just snatched this and bought it)

So get your lightsaber, and may the force be with you, as I present the sith and the jedi to their greatest challenge yet in:

This game is a core component in Lucas Arts' famous project, called the Force Unleashed project, and this game is what put it on the map for real. It sold 1 million copies in its debut month, and has sold 7 million copies since 2008 on its release. It has earned the title as the fastest selling Star Wars game in history(A LONG LIST too).

Storyline
    This game takes place at some point in time between revenge of the sith, and Star Wars IV. You play as the secret apprentice of none other than Darth Vader himself, and you have been given the code name "Starkiller", a different name is never spoken. You are tasked with hunting down the last remaining jedi in the galaxy after the emperor releases code 66, killing any jedi they see. Some narrowly escape, and it is your task as a sith to hunt down and destroy any jedi that gets discovered. On the side, Darth Vader plots against the emperor, and has taken you as his secret apprentice, hidden away on his personal ship, away from the prying eyes of the emperors spies. In this secrecy you train, using the cover as a jedi hunter to get yourself ready to fight alongside your dark master in pursuit of total control of the galaxy.

However, the sith are notorious for betray one another. Is Darth Vader different? Or is there an underlying reason for his trust in you? Only time will tell.

Plot
    On the wookie home planet of Kashyyk, a huge amada of imperial star ships appear, and as one lands, a towering, completely clad in black figure emerges, and begins to rampage through the cities, destroying anyone and anything in his path, his menacing mechanical breathing marking him as the dark lord Vader, apprentice and general to Emperor Palpatine. He eventually reaches his target. A rogue jedi master who has made Kashyyk his home amongst the friendly wookies. A titanic battle is fought between the two, but sadly Vader comes out as victorious. But before he manages to kill the rogue jedi, his lightsaber is torn from his legendary grip by none other than...

A boy......

A son. Vader forgets the torture of the jedi parent, and snaps his neck, before confronting the child. "The force is strong with you, my apprentice".

Gameplay

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is a level based action game, and is one of the most brilliant, most fantastic Star Wars games that I have ever played! The name says it all, and is not a game with alot of emphasis on lightsaber combat, although it is of course present.

The majority of the combat in Force Unleashed however, is with the force, from force push, to force grapples, to force lightning, to force lightning shield, to force lightning grenades and lots more. Pretty much everything in the game world that is not solidly attached to a wall or ground is able to be lifted with the force and hurled with immense power at anything you decide to throw it at. You can even decide to torture your victim, throwing him around from wall to wall, floor to cieling, or spin him around vigorously before dropping him gingerly over the ledge of a deep drop off.

Lightsaber combat IS present, as stated, but does not have as much 'umf' as the force does. Although the lightsaber is vital to your survival, it holds a much more defensive role(Deflecting blaster and melee attacks). It is your job to find the perfect balance between using the force or your lightsaber to efficiently kill your foe.

Graphics
    Graphics are amazing, with almost ANYTHING you see that is not bolted or attached solidly to something much larger, being able to be picked up. You can also use the immortalized force shove to tear down entire wooden structures with enemies hiding inside. Or hurl a dusins of tons heavy rock with force lightning coursing throw it straight into the face of a walker droid. The graphics are worth noticing as you run through the levels.

Holocrons?
    In the Force Unleashed, there're 2 kinds of in game bonuses to be found.

Jedi Holocron

A large, floating, yellow, glowing cube. There's anywhere from 5-15 of these holocrons in each level, and can give bonuses such as Force points, lightsaber color crystals, lightsaber buff crystals, new costumes, or force spheres(will explain all of these things later). It is very worthwhile to keep an eye out for these as you play. Mind you, they can be hidden almost ANYWHERE, so go out of your way to look for them.

Sith Holocron

A large, floating, red, glowing triangle. There's an untold number of these in each level, and each one gives a different temporary buff, which lasts for an average of about 30 seconds. Some of the buffs you can gain are:

Health Drain Aura: Steals a large portion of all enemies around you and gives it to you. This sith power is one of the most powerful, as you can just keep going with this.
    Invincibility: Makes you completely immune to all damage.
    Unlimited energy: never ending energy until timer runs out.
    damage increase: The weakest ability, as your damage increase makes you reckless to use it, killing you efficiently if you're not careful.

Collecting all sith holocrons is not important, they're just buffs to take as you need them. But all jedi holocrons should be found, as they give very awesome permanent bonuses to play with in later games!

Difficulty
    There're 4 difficulties

Apprentice
    Sith Warrior
    Sith Lord
    Sith Master

I'm proud to say that I play on Sith Master, and have the achievements for completing the game on all the other difficulties Either way, I suggest people who are new to star wars games to go apprentice at first, but Sith Warrior is the standard difficulty, with lord and master being the high end levels.

Levels?
    There is a sort of sub level system in Force Unleashed. For each time you level up, you get a number of spheres(Force(blue) combo(red) and skill(yellow). These spheres can then be used to gain additional ranks in select buffs or abilities in their respective category. For example, it might cost 5 force spheres to get rank 3 of the force lightning ability, and you have 6 force spheres available. You buy it, and you have 1 sphere left.

Costumes

Sith Stalker Armor. An unlockable costume in the game. Not gonna tell you how to get it though!

For every jedi holocron you get, there's a chance that you can unlock a new costume! You also gain a new costume when you complete the game(there're 2 outcomes, each with its unique reward costume). Through cheats, however, which are easily found on the internet, you can unlock almost all of the characters in the game to play, such as the emperor, darth vader, proxy, and more.

Sequels?

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 was announced in 2009, and was released in 2010. I will make a review on this when I get around to buying it.

Scores
    Plot/Storyline: 9/10. Amazing storyline, and fits in perfectly as it is set in a time that no movie has covered. It is also an official outcome, as LucasArts themselves have released it, making it the exact events of the time between when the revenge of the sith ends, and where star wars IV begins.

Gameplay: 9.5/10. Very entertaining gameplay, with lots of world interaction, and the ability to use the force in every which way you please!

Graphics: 8/10. Not a strong point, but the graphics are most deffinately not a let down either!

Bonus material: 9.5/10. The bonus material in this game is extraordinarily awesome, and allows the game to be fun and interesting for well over a dusin play throughs, with achievements taunting you to go to the next level.

Final score: 9.2/10

Simply amazing game, and I can't wait to hit my local gamestop and pick up the sequel! I fell in love with this game many years ago, and still today I absolutely love playing it! So go to light speed, unhook your lightsaber, and may the force be with you on this epic journey of unparalelled proportions.

Thread Information