Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Down Why I think Fallout Online will fail.

We've seen this over and over again. Game devs going over the top by trying to make a popular franchise an MMORPG. Blizzard did it with Warcraft - WoW, and probably the biggest success story in the history of modern gaming.

So far, no one have been able to pull off the same trick.

There's been speculations of online versions coming out for all sorts of things.

Matrix Online, awesome as I may have thought it was, the game itself was utter fail, as my review clearly states.

Star Wars: Galaxies was cool untill SOE came and ****ed it all up.

SWtOR will probably be yet another fail MMORPG released by a game dev hungry for money, as ALWAYS.

This is why I think Fallout Online will be absolutely no different. And if it SHOULD manage to get popular, it'll probably be a 'shadow' of itself, as I like to call games meant for single player, that try to become multiplayer.

Take for example Medieval 2: Total War. fantastic example of exactly what I mean.

You all know Total War games, right? Top of the line strategy games? I think Shogun: Total War is the most recent one? Anyway, the game is OBVIOUSLY strictly single player, with a world map where you can do diplomacy, espionage, assassination, trading, city management, and just overall controlling your kingdom.

And then you have battlefield mode, when you decide to play out a fight yourself. You control the army you've deployed, and you use strategic intelligence and knowledge of the units you've deployed to win the battle.

That's singleplayer, fantastic game, love it, can't live without it!

BUT! And here's where Total War screwed up: They made an online feature. Problem is that the core part of the game, the world map, is unavailable, you can only play against or with other people on the battlefield. This is lame, as battles really don't hold THAT much of the game as the world map does.

That's why Fallout Online will probably be a failure. Fallout, just like Oblivion, was DESIGNED to be played by 1 person in 1 world, period, and I don't think Fallout fits at all to become an MMORPG.

That's just my opinion.
    ##WARNING! [-SAPH-]_virus.exe has been detected in your thread!##
    ##Initiating Saph_Removal_Tool.exe program module A...##
    ##Saph_Removal_Tool.exe program has failed##
    ##Initiating EMERGENCY_BACKUP_SAPH_REMOVAL##

I also think that they shouldnt have a mmo in the fallout universe, as I think the market is also flooding over with new mmo,s that really isnt changing the concept. If they were able to do a new mmo off fallout that would change the way we look at mmo,s than just another wow clone with new enemies I would might get interested but until then no, I dont want a mmo off fallout.

^ Agreed.

WoW is an awesome MMORPG, that's why every single dev thinking about making an MMO, copy 70%-99% of Blizzards idea, and change the look, the enemies, the class names, and the races, that's it. PvP is the same, dungeons are done the same, professions are learned the same, skills are aquired the same etc. etc. Everything in every single MMORPG since WoW has been the same thing reincarnated over and over again. The last thing I want to see is the gaming industry getting a fashion sub industry(what is hot and what is not etc.), sadly it's already happening.

Like Paec said, if they could make Fallout be COMPLETELY and utterly new!? Like change the WHOLE concept of an MMORPG, making it THEIR OWN instead of Blizzard copy/paste strategy.

If they can be the dev that other devs copy? THEN I want a Fallout MMO, but there's a HUUUUGE list of terrible MMOs(just as Dili!), all of which tried to milk the money cow that is MMORPGs, but they're mislead by Blizzards fame, and believes that if they just do the same thing, but change alittle here and there, then the money will flow in. Several dusins of game devs have thought just that, and look what it got them, some even closed down cause they put so much money into the MMO, like the devs behind Matrix Online before SOE came in and ****ed it all up.

2 Player co-op wandering around the wasteland and killing stuff wouldnt be half bad, but online multiplayer would be extremly bad.

Yah, 2 player co-op would be amazing, hell, 4 player co-op would be fantastic! But MMORPG? I'm, to say the least, curious with a negative expectation to see how they plan on pulling this bunny out of this narrow a hat.

Any game that was originally anything other than an MMORPG, has a good chance of failing as an MMORPG, as there have been few cases where it has worked in the past; World of Warcraft being a rare example of a game from a different genre getting turned into an MMORPG success.

Dawn of War 3 is heavily speculated to be a 40k themed MMO, moving on from their RTS genre, and my jaw clenched at the idea of it, as it did when I heard about Hasbro & Runescape developers teaming up to make a Transformers MMO; they should know their limits.

Fallout will be interesting to see play out. They have a good company building the game, and no shortage of money for the project. I think it'd be cool to see others playing, cause I've thought to myself before "Why am I the only adventurer and the only other people in the wasteland are all raiders!?"

It'll be cool to see it play out. I just hope it's a success.

EDIT: Upon more reading, I've discovered my research so far false...different company with money issues. God help us all, and pray this game comes out alright.
    Last edited by ROFLBRYCE; 07-11-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhmmz View Post
    Any game that was originally anything other than an MMORPG, has a good chance of failing as an MMORPG, as there have been few cases where it has worked in the past; World of Warcraft being a rare example of a game from a different genre getting turned into an MMORPG success.

Dawn of War 3 is heavily speculated to be a 40k themed MMO, moving on from their RTS genre, and my jaw clenched at the idea of it, as it did when I heard about Hasbro & Runescape developers teaming up to make a Transformers MMO; they should know their limits.
    I dont know if it is what you mean but there is already announced that there will come a 40k mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by paecmaker View Post
    I dont know if it is what you mean but there is already announced that there will come a 40k mmo.
    That is what I was saying
    However, I am scared that they will make a bad game

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhmmz View Post
    That is what I was saying
    However, I am scared that they will make a bad game
    Its not dawn of war 3 atleast, I just read that they will go back alittle to the start(and mix with the new).

Thread Information