Default The mindset of a team player

I made this post on the LoL subreddit some time ago in a thread discussing how easy it is to get upset over the game, at yourself, or at your teammates.

I (and the hundred or so people that upvoted it) think it's a pretty good read and if you're really getting heavy into LoL and want to improve your game outside of your mechanical last hitting and map awareness abilities, you might find this an interesting read and I'd love to hear your own thoughts as well!

I've copied the post from reddit below in case you don't want to have to follow a link away from our beloved gamers-forum:

This game has taught me a lot about myself and social interaction as a whole. These are the things that I've learned that have made me a much more fun person to play LoL with and a happier person overall (yes, I learned deep life lessons from this game!):

Forgiving myself. We play this game very competitively - we want to get better. That's why we're browsing this subreddit, watching streams, and analyzing our replays. When I make a mistake mid game, I know it, and I feel bad that I made it. I see how it was completely preventable or how I completely gave up an opportunity that an opponent opened up for me (because hindsight is 20/20 and we look like headless chickens in the heat of the moment). But, I'm always getting better because I am seeing these mistakes, and that's the important thing. I can play better myself and be in a better mood and help my team more if I can forgive myself these mistakes as they happen. Everyone makes these all throughout the course of the match, and that's okay. In real life, you'll really start to wow people when you can approach your professors/boss/manager with an attitude of "I made a mistake but am mostly concerned about how I can continue to help the team most in spite of that. I may even need your counsel at this moment to help, but I'm absolutely willing and ready to try what it takes."

Forgiving others. Sometimes you can see that it was your teammate that dropped the ball. That person might be less skilled than you, be a slower learner, someone random that the queue found you to play with, a redditor, or a friend from real life. The one thing that they always are is on your team. You have to play with this person and no matter how bad they are at this game (right now), you have to do your best to learn how to play with them effectively over the course of the match. If you have the attitude that you are a team together and you are both going to do your best together, you will both play better and learn more than if you keep throwing your CC and complaining silently to yourself how that lame insta-lock carry doesn't pick up on the doors you open wide for them to get kills. This kind of patience will make you work much more effectively with people on projects in real life, and you'll really appreciate working with people that are equally understanding that we're all human and make different mistakes.

Ignore the troll. If this person or anyone starts trolling/griefing, that's their issue and they aren't playing to help the team and your team is going to suffer. They are being immature and, unfortunately, in game isn't the time and place to have a huge sit down and talk about it. You can say a couple things calmly and hope they simmer down, but if they take your words and turn them into fuel for the flame the best you can do is /ignore. /ignore is a great tool for this instance because you don't need to dwell on them. They've clearly have their own issues that they've yet to get past, so why waste your time with them? You're going to play better and have a better time if you let them keep their problems to themself. We don't get a /ignore in real life - sometimes it can be a little harder to avoid someone if you and this person have mutual friends, common classes, or are coworkers; but we do this is real life too when people make it unfortunately necessary.

Call out the good things that happen. We spend enough time dwelling on what went wrong with that last teamfight and we love talking post game about "omg that pantheon was so bad lol" but once we've started forgiving ourself and forgiving our team, we can really turn the atmosphere of the game around by complimenting each other. When a gank goes well (or even if it was hairy at first but came through) taking the time to type "gj" will bring you and the teammate(s) involved closer for that game. Feeling good as a team is important - it's how you learn to lean on each other and play off of each other. With the attitude that we're not just doing our best individually, but also as a team, you guys will start initiating fights with a ferocity that can scare that solo queue enemy team into fleeing after the first kill.

Recognize good plays, even when they are the enemy's. You can go a step further in creating a positive atmosphere for the game by complimenting skilled maneuvers, whether it's a teammate teleporting in to save a gank or the other team's ashe nailing you blind with an arrow in the jungle. It sets a precedent of sportsmanlike conduct, keeps both teams positive, and reminds us that dying doesn't always mean you're bad, it frequently means the other team played well. This is why we say "gg" at the end of every match and why we absolutely don't say "bg". There's no shame in getting beaten by a really good play, or recognizing it - in fact you should recognize what your opponents are capable of to become a better player.

In conclusion, and TLR: Being able to take the spirit of a team and turn it into something cohesive in this game has turned me into a very powerful and inspiring group leader in real life. Your attitude towards yourself and your teammates has a huge impact on how well you and your team will play and how much fun you and your team have. So, get into that queue and change this game for four other people. Show them what it's like to have a teammate who really is ready themself to be a team player.
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

Blackleo stole a jungler's blue buff yesterday for fun. He needs to read the part about showing others's what it's like to have a good teammate.

And the part about recognizing the enemy's good plays. I usually try to predict their moves, and I don't mind getting beaten by a good play, it just sucks when you know your team has a great counter but they don't use it.

And I said BG once when 3 of my teammates left and we lost in less than 20 minutes.

AND someone yelled at me yesterday for typing "gj" and "nj" and "good work!" so many times in game. That guy needs to read this too.

It's a great post, I think it can be incorporated in most other team games, I know I can fit everything you've said in Counter Strike and Left 4 Dead.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Well I agree, in game I have mostly seen people complain at eachover, If anyone are no as good as the others the teammates just go flamie on him and calling him noob and other stuff (I have been in that sit myself and its not fun) and its sad.

tl;dr

Just kidding man, it's a well put together post. More people need to realize that this is just a game after all. I'm sick of running into try-hards. Yeah sometimes I'll have a bad game due to either lag, (7 people on the same internet, 2 download movies like crazy. Try not to play during this) or me just flat out playing badly. But if there's someone on my team that's 3-18, I don't care as long as they aren't purposely feeding. It's fun to gank, and sometimes it's fun being ganked when they pull of this random 3-man play out of nowhere. This is a fun game and people need to leave it at that, don't get crazy competitive cause it's not fun for others.

My 2 cents on this and the game in general.

I find that if they buy wards, they are useful, even if they really suck

Love this (:

I've always loved playing LoL with Dili because HE IS SO FUN TO PLAY WITH.
    You can be really good but have a ****ty attitude and its like.. ehhhhh.... and just makes it more like a task than a game.
    You play to get better but you also play to have fun, right?

YOU GO DILI
    YOU TEACH THOSE LIFE LESSONS!
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Thread Information