Default Dead Space™ iOS (World) - Review

As some of you may have heard, the developers of the Dead Space series have recently released a Dead Space specifically for iOS devices (iPods, iPhones and such) tentatively titled ''Dead Space™ iOS (World)''. This time around, it features a new character, an exclusive new storyline, new objectives, new areas and a lot more.

Overview/Storyline:
    In this game, you play the main protagonist who goes by the alias/codename, ''Vandal''. You are instructed by a mysterious voice to destroy Power Boxes located within the borders of the ship. Whilst you are doing so, a deadly outbreak occurs and you are unexpectedly encountered by a horde of Necromorphs, which are disfigured, mutated alien-like creatures that brutalize the inhabitants of the ship and turn the brutalized inhabitants into one of them. From this point on the outbreak intensifies and escalates into a disaster, due to this happening, you are one of the only survivors aboard the ship, and you must fight to survive the outbreak and save the ship.

Gameplay:
    Dead Space's controls are very simplistic and easy to use, to get into Aim-Mode you just tap the screen, and to change direction of your aiming and move your cross-hairs, you just slide your finger in the direction in which you want to aim and tap to shoot. So I had no trouble learning how to play and navigate my way through levels quickly. The close-up combat controls were somewhat a bit strange, however, they were easy to get used to and I really didn't struggle to control them after a few hours of getting used to it. Within the game you can spend money to buy ammunition for your weapons, and use Power Cells to upgrade and level up your equipment. The negatives about this game is the length of the game, when I finished it, I felt that it was a little to short and that the storyline could've been lengthened for a lot longer. Another negative about the game is the fact that sometimes the controls can be rather buggy and can cause you to fire a lot of shots at the enemy and miss completely, but the overall Gameplay is definitely worth playing through, especially if you enjoyed the first 2 in the series.

Graphics:
    The graphics were utterly ground-breaking which really impressed me, especially for an game on an iOS device. The textures of the ships surroundings were smooth and very detailed. But unfortunately the textures of the Necromorphs were rather rough and poorly detailed.

Musical Score:
    Dead Space has a fairly dark atmosphere which is easily put together with Eerie background music. The musical score features Orchestral Hits which are timed perfectly for pop outs in the game. I jumped numerous amounts of times within the game and it was worth it. I recommend using Earphones for the full game experience, it puts your mind into the games atmosphere and makes the quality of it much more approaching and intimidating.

Overall Ratings:
    Gameplay: ★★★☆☆
    Graphics: ★★★★☆
    Musical Score: ★★★★★
    Overall: ★★★★☆

This game is very original and draws out from most of the other horror games of today, its definitely worth buying and playing the whole way through. I recommend this to anyone who loves horror games, this game is far from disappointing and is worth every dollar paid for it.
    Last edited by Psychotray; 08-20-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Adding photos, screenshots, etc.

''Hey vanity, this vials empty. And so are you.''

ugggghhhh another game that apple has ruined.

compared to its xbox360 counterpart: very bad

the graphic's are similar to that of ps2 games. Now I love touch screen anythings but when it comes to games I think these two awesome things should never come together (especially under apple) for many reason so

its a to this version of dead space...

BUT awesome review Psychotray! good to see in-game screens

"I'm only saying what everyone is thinking?!"
    stupidly large grrr signature!! picture

Quote Originally Posted by Ailithic View Post
    ugggghhhh another game that apple has ruined.

compared to its xbox360 counterpart: very bad

the graphic's are similar to that of ps2 games. Now I love touch screen anythings but when it comes to games I think these two awesome things should never come together (especially under apple) for many reason so

its a to this version of dead space...

BUT awesome review Psychotray! good to see in-game screens
    The game wasn't developed by Apple, it was most likely made by the same team for the iOS, and you can't expect it to look amazing on a phone. Graphics are some of the best I've seen for iOS. As long as it's got a solid story line, what does it matter what it looks like? It's not the graphics that make the game. I can see you've got the hate on Apple for whatever reason, but guaranteed if this came out for the Android or Windows Phone 7 platforms, they'd look identical. Even throwing it onto a 3DS or PSP wouldn't re-vamp the graphics to a new level.

Solid review Psych. I'll definitely have to check this one out for myself!
    Last edited by ROFLBRYCE; 09-21-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Yeah my dislike for apple is deep but...
    I never seriously complained about the graphics I only insisted that it resembles ps2 games?
    and furthermore I didn't state I thought it was made by apple only that apple ruins things haha.

aslo when I said games and touch screen controls should never come together is because of the difficultly you get when playing first, third person shooters, and that is your hands are covering some of the screen and its easy to slip making the game less ermm enjoyable.

lol sorry ROFL if I wasn't clear enough xD bad grammar and punctuation on my side I think.

"I'm only saying what everyone is thinking?!"
    stupidly large grrr signature!! picture

wow, look at how decent those screens are even at this size. I have seen Ipod games and they didnt look anything close to that good.

Also,nice review.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Quote Originally Posted by Ailithic View Post
    Yeah my dislike for apple is deep but...
    I never seriously complained about the graphics I only insisted that it resembles ps2 games?
    and furthermore I didn't state I thought it was made by apple only that apple ruins things haha.

aslo when I said games and touch screen controls should never come together is because of the difficultly you get when playing first, third person shooters, and that is your hands are covering some of the screen and its easy to slip making the game less ermm enjoyable.

lol sorry ROFL if I wasn't clear enough xD bad grammar and punctuation on my side I think.
    It's all good, man. Just saying "Apple ruined this game" "Games and touch screens shouldn't come together (especially under Apple)" and that "Apple ruined another game" doesn't really make sense to me...all of this would be the same on Android/WP7 so why call out Apple for mistakes they didn't make? It's the developers making the games, and the control layouts, not Apple. I'm not a fan of Apple either (except for the iPod Nano 2nd gen. I love mine to death and it's still breathing miraculously) but there's no reason to blame any faults the game has on the console it was released under. It would be 99% identical on any other touch screen, aside from maybe the DS.

I agree shooters flat out blow with touch screen controls. They really do lol. Most games do, except for the odd Tower Defense, Castle Defense, or just tap game that doesn't involve moving/looking at the same time. It's not Apples fault for the controls though. It's how the developer made them to be on a touch screen in general.

Thanks guys, bare in mind some of the screenshots of the game were taken on iPad as well.

''Hey vanity, this vials empty. And so are you.''

Wow, that's awesome! I personally dont think Id enjoy playing a game on an iphone or pad compared to a real console/PC- it's just really cool that they are developing things like for it

Thread Information