Default Manhunt - Review

This is actually quite an old game, it was released roughly 8 years ago in 2003 by the company known worldwide as Rockstar Games. This, in my opinion, is one of the most goriest and most confronting games that I've ever played, mainly due to its horrible language and disturbing images of violence and gore. Manhunt was and still is banned from most country's in the world including Germany, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, this being because of its influence upon young teenagers.

Overview/Storyline:
    In this game, you play a criminal by the name of James 'Earl' Cash, who is supposedly executed by a Lethal Dosage, he wakes up and is soon to realize that he was injected with a sedative. Cash hears voices coming from ear piece that tells him that he was only sedated and tells Cash to pick up the piece and put it in his hear. The voice who refers to himself as the ''Director'' tells Cash that he will be given freedom before the night is over, but on the one condition that Cash follows his instructions. Cash is then released into the slummy streets which are claimed to be run by a gang known as ''The Hoods'', he is instructed to kill his way from one part of the streets to the other with Security Cameras scattered in certain areas to film the executions. The Director reveals to Cash that he is a snuff film director and that he was filming his executions simultaneously. Unfortunately when Cash makes it and does what he is told, he is attacked, knocked unconscious, and thrown into the back of a van by a group of masked men who go by the name of The Cerberus. Cash then is left with very few choices and has to progress through a series of streets and kill his way through numerous gangs from place to place and do everything in his power to survive.

Gameplay:
    The Gameplay consists of brutalizing gang members in the most violent way possible and playing it to the Security Cameras, the controls are very hard to get used to, and aren't very settling either which really effects the quality of the Game. There are three levels of executions, the first level is a clean and quick execution, the second level has a bit more of a gory style, and the third level is the brutal, slow, and the most goriest execution. I find that its a lot easier to do quick executions and progress through the level quicker. Some of the Gameplay elements are very impressive such as the levels I stated before, the variety of weapons such as Glass Shards (obtained from breaking windows), Plastic Bags, Baseballs bats, etc. All of which have 3 different levels of executions. When you are spotted by a gang member, you will be chased and bashed. You have 2 options on how to deal with such attacks, 1. Hide in the shadows, which are dark spots spotted around the streets (ie. behind cars, in the corners of rooms, etc) and 2. Try to use your fists and fight the gang member, but if you are getting attacked by multiple gang members then you will be simultaneously overpowered and beaten to death, so you must plan your killings and be careful of your surroundings and where you tread.

Graphics:
    The graphics are very poor and rough, like most games created by Rockstar Games. Throughout the game, you will notice that when you perform executions, your hand will go into the body as a glitch, which is too noticeable and can get annoying after a while. The game naturally has a film grain for added effect into the game. Each time you perform an execution, it switches and pans to a camera like screen which allows you to view yourself executing your enemy from a different perspective, which looks great and adds even more effect to the game. You can also take advantage of the Ps2 USB Microphone and use it for in game effect. When you are wearing the microphone, you can use your voice to distract gang members and draw attention to your location which really puts your mind into the game.

Musical Score:
    The music used in the game has a very dark and slummy feel to it, with very low Basslines and mysterious sounds added to it. When you get chased, the music intensifies into a more complex Bassline and increases tempo, which really stimulates the feel of the game.

Overall Ratings:
    Gameplay: ★★★★☆
    Graphics: ★★★☆☆
    Musical Score: ★★★★☆
    Overall: ★★★★☆

This is a very good game, definitely a game I'd recommend to those of whom enjoy Psychological-Horror games with endless gore, violence, and explicit language. This game is good for its time and should be more appreciated for its originality.

''Hey vanity, this vials empty. And so are you.''

Very nice review, nice one! I look forward to more from you.

I Wonder how I can get into the Game Reviewing Team... as I do play ALOT of games, but Nice Review tray, this makes me want to dig out my old PS2 and play this game again

Quote Originally Posted by BBloodstain View Post
    I Wonder how I can get into the Game Reviewing Team... as I do play ALOT of games, but Nice Review tray, this makes me want to dig out my old PS2 and play this game again
    You can apply to become a games reviewer I will edit this post shortly so that I can attach a link to the related thread.

EDIT* Apply to be a Game Reviewer - Gamers Forum

I See well I'll definitely Apply for that, I hope I get accepted haha

I had a neighbor who constantly played this game. Was always mentioning it when I saw him around.

Very nice review. And great touch with the star system.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    I also thought that was rather snazzy gives your review a unique look to the others!

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    I had a neighbor who constantly played this game. Was always mentioning it when I saw him around.

Thank you LiNuX, I appreciate the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhmmz View Post
    Very nice review, nice one! I look forward to more from you.
    Thanks man, I will do one review or maybe two per day, so we will see plenty more

''Hey vanity, this vials empty. And so are you.''

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotray View Post
    Thanks man, I will do one review or maybe two per day, so we will see plenty more
    This is definitely good news. Be awesome to have a thriving review community on the forum. It's been a while since I've done a dedicated forum review, but I've been so busy with the website and other stuff like the construction of a shed in my back garden but I'll get back on the horse soon.

Wow I haven't heard of or played this game in years, was an ok came from what I remember, all the negative press killed it for me though >.>

Good review by the way
    YNWA
    <-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
    <-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Thread Information