Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laptop issues...

So y'know how I got my laptop if you read my Birthday Thread? Well, it's messed up and I've barely had it more than a day. Its a Toshiba Satellite and it worked when I first got it, but today, I can't be on it for more than twenty-or-so-minutes until everything or anything doesn't respond. It doesn't shut-down or log off the normal way after this, but it does before twenty-or-so minutes. I've tried restarting and taking it off the charger and blah blah blah. Nothing helps. It had a shut-down and install updates option before I restarted it before twenty-or-so minutes and now it doesn't have that option anymore, just regular shut-down. Though it said it would install said updates around 3AM otherwise. Do these updates have to install before I can to anything for a longer amount of time without it being unresponsive or what? Someone please help, I just got it and I can't use it...
    ♫ Mυsιc Bαbe ♪ Rσcker Chιck ♪ Vισlιηιst ♫
    /»/Soldier of the HU and BVB Armies\«\
    \\m// SLEEPING WITH SIRENS \\m//
    ❤~07/17/11~❤

I bought a Toshiba Satellite a few weeks ago, mine is fine for now.

And does the lag only happen when it updates? If it does, you can turn off automatic updates in control panel. And for it to do the updates at 3AM, your laptop would have to be on at 3AM, otherwise it does the updates when it turns on.

If that's not the, the hardware could be faulty (either RAM or CPU), they could be stalling. Usually the case of bad manufacturing. If the lag keeps up, see if you can get it replaced or something.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

I'm not really sure. But the one time it tried updating, it was on installing update one out of thirty-nine for about six hours. -_-' (I was on my old computer or gone at the Fair during that time.) It doesn't really 'lag'. Its a decently fast speed for that twenty-or-so minutes until nothing responds. Then after that you try logging off or shutting down the blue swirly thing just keeps going for ages. You have to press the power button. But eh, we'll see in the morning if it'll try updating then. But, incase, how do I turn of the 'automatic updates' if that's what it is? My friend has the same laptop as well, I tried asking her if it was this unresponsive when she got it and she said she didn't remember. (I knew she was always useless. XD) Was it this unresponsive to you if you remember?

I'm on my computer while my laptop sits and does nothing.
    ❤~07/17/11~❤

I own a Satellite as well, it's a couple years old and I've had no problems (aside from it overheating a couple times)

I'd definitely see about getting a replacement if it keeps up.

Sig by TheMangler

start menu >> control panel >> on top right, View by "Small" or "large" icons >> windows update >> change settings on left side

then select "Check for update but let me choose whether to download and install them"

I'm assuming you're using Win7 since it's a new laptop. SO the above instructions are for Win7. It's similar on Win Vista and Earlier versions, but not identical.

If it's stuck on an update for 6 hours, the update itself could be bad. I had that a few months ago on my desktop when trying to install the new SP1. It was stuck at 53% during install at night so I left it running all night, woke up in the morning and it was still at 53%. I shut down manually and retried the update later and it worked fine then.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Yes, it is Windows7, so, alright, I'll go try that right now.

If worse comes to worse my mom said she'd take it back. It was the last one in stock...
    ❤~07/17/11~❤

I've never had luck with installing Windows updates on my Satellite. (I like how we all have the same brand laptops). It's always been stuck on 1 of X, and never finishes anything.

I'd say take it in, they should replace it if you bought it at a place like Future Shop, Best Buy, The Source, etc. I don't know what the issue would be for you, it may even be Windows 7 compatibility issues. For whatever reason it slowed my computer right down to where I couldn't even use it. My laptop is about 2 years old though, so yours may be quite a bit different.

EDIT: Just seen you said it was last in stock. They'd give you a receipt to get a new one, or credit to use towards a different laptop, anyways.

Well, this morning, it actually installed 1 out of 37 (rather than 39) updates. Then after these updates were installed, it gave me 30 minutes rather than 20-or-so-minutes before it became unresponsive. We took it into Best Buy today and the nice Geek Squad person said that two programs (Webroot and Norton) were 'clashing' to see who got to detect for problems as he put it. So he deleted Norton (we didn't want it anyway, it was already in the laptop) and told me to install anymore updates over the next few days and it should be good to go. I played spider solitaire on it in the car on the way back home, I don't know how long it was, but nothing was unresponsive. *Shrugs*
    ❤~07/17/11~❤

Norton sucks. Forgot Toshibas had those installed by default - the first thing I did when I got my Laptop was remove everything norton.

Bad experience with Norton in the past... Anywho, it was that blasted Norton. My laptop works fine now!
    ❤~07/17/11~❤

Thread Information