Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Default What Mods Do You Think Are "Essential" to Have on the Server?

Keep in mind, we won't be using all of the ones you suggest. I want to stay away from economy mods, mmo mods, anything that changes the game drastically. I know people really love /home, so we might put that in, I guess. Will probably give mods item spawning and stuff (though we won't really be using it much).

We're using Bukkit, so if you don't know what kinds of mods there are, you can check out their site.

edit:

For mods:
    -Whitelist
    -"OP" status/ranks
    -Item spawning, teleport
    -Ability to move bedrock

For everyone:
    -The death thing (tells the server how you died :P)
    -/home

For the record, mods won't be using these abilities unless there is some reason they need to. That's why everyone doesn't have them.
    Last edited by Muffincat; 09-21-2011 at 02:02 PM.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

I'm okay with everything suggested so far (just what Muffincat has added to the post already) even though I don't like /home because it takes away the need to travel/explore the beautiful and immersive game world :P

Unless anyone else has any suggestions, I don't think we really need any other mods!
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

Quote Originally Posted by Diligence109 View Post
    I'm okay with everything suggested so far (just what Muffincat has added to the post already) even though I don't like /home because it takes away the need to travel/explore the beautiful and immersive game world :P

Unless anyone else has any suggestions, I don't think we really need any other mods!
    I understand that, and sort of feel the same, but I also feel like it's fine. It can be annoying, and you don't have to use it... and sometimes /home is really nice xD We'll make it so W1CKED disables it for just you

^ Sig by Foofle ^

I've always disliked item spawning items, takes the fun out of the game. Plus even if people say they won't you'll always have mods abusing there teleporting and spawning items. It always happens, I've learned from past experience. Same with teleporting, it's just a easy way to get out of things and takes away from the game.

You can always build a compass if you get lost. I've dug down many times because I got lost while exploring and didn't bring a compass.

That's just my thoughts on things.

No, the mods aren't going to be abusing it. Because dili and I are the mods. And we've been mods on the server for a long time. And we don't like to use mods; we just have them because sometimes things are necessary. We don't give other people or ourselves items, we don't teleport ferry people around, but it's necessary to make sure that other people aren't messing with things.

It was more necessary before, because we didn't have a whitelist and there were a bunch of griefers, so we needed to be able to teleport to people to be able to check them out/keep them from ruining things... but you never know what will happen. You can't just trust that everyone is going to play for everyone else's benefit. We need to be able to teleport to people if there happens to be a problem.

So... yeah.

edit: Also, the best way to keep from getting lost is just writing the coordinates down of where you've built if you went exploring...
    Last edited by Muffincat; 09-21-2011 at 03:05 PM.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Never thought of the coordinates thing before, will have to try that next time.

On the server I play on, he has something that saved the server ever night around 3.00 am real time. That was if anything disastrous happens you can just load the server and you only lose 1 day of work instead of all of it. That may be a good feature to add, not sure if it is a mod or what. If you think you may be interested in it I can ask him about it.

automatic backups of the server's world file don't require mods, though some mods facilitate it. The server running minecraft is W1CKED's and is also home to some of his other stuff - I'm not sure how frequently he backs it up, but he's a network systems admin so he's more than likely has better backup habits about all his data than most of the rest of us on the forum here.

And yeah, none of our mods abuse item spawning and teleporting. I want to play the game, too, and don't have trouble resisting /give or /tp.
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

not a need but if you can get mo creatures we can have pet kittens and horses and all that stuff

Default Mods

Heres a list of mods i think would be good to have for the server:

Anti-Creeper Mod; Disables damage from creeper explosions: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/anticreeper/

MCMMO; provides a skill leveling system which adds new depth to the game and makes doing everything more fun: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/mcmmo/

More coming later when my internet decides to stop being slow

Quote Originally Posted by CraeSC111 View Post
    Heres a list of mods i think would be good to have for the server:

Anti-Creeper Mod; Disables damage from creeper explosions: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/anticreeper/

MCMMO; provides a skill leveling system which adds new depth to the game and makes doing everything more fun: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/mcmmo/

More coming later when my internet decides to stop being slow
    Yeah, we specifically don't want mods that change the game too much, like these.

We want it to be pretty much vanilla, with only a couple fun things (like /home), even though I'd rather just have it be totally vanilla... but we're willing to put /home, because it's not a huge deal and can relieve a lot of frustration.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Thread Information