Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by paecmaker View Post
    The first thing, I think he got a point. Well maybe not everything but sometimes I feel like I want something else than just a game that gives me a 5 sec satisfaction with big explosions and oneliners. There are some games like that but they are still called games.

Take the game Myst for example, it doesnt have the the "kicks" and the same satisfaction as many other games got. Its a beautiful world where you alone tries to figure out its secrets in your own pace. That game is what I personally feel as something else than just a "game"
    I know what you and the author are saying and I do agree that are all sorts of different "games" that's cause different levels of enjoyment. But I think that while those games fall into different genres, in the end they are still games. Im just talking in the sense of raw definition, everything else aside. It's kind of like saying a childrens book isn't really a book because it doesnt give you satisfaction. Well, despite the fact that it doesn't please you the same as other books may, it still is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizel View Post
    I know what you and the author are saying and I do agree that are all sorts of different "games" that's cause different levels of enjoyment. But I think that while those games fall into different genres, in the end they are still games. Im just talking in the sense of raw definition, everything else aside. It's kind of like saying a childrens book isn't really a book because it doesnt give you satisfaction. Well, despite the fact that it doesn't please you the same as other books may, it still is what it is.
    Maybe, but books got still different names of what they are, a childrens book isnt the same as a novel, the word book is a collsection game but not all books call themselves books if you understand.

Maybe the same can be worked in games, it is in a way but I dont think the classes in how we call different games are sufficient. We got FPS, RTS, RPG but as games start to develop and are able to grab new and more things these "old" markings may not be enough.

Maybe, but books got still different names of what they are, a childrens book isnt the same as a novel, the word book is a collsection game but not all books call themselves books if you understand.

Maybe the same can be worked in games, it is in a way but I dont think the classes in how we call different games are sufficient. We got FPS, RTS, RPG but as games start to develop and are able to grab new and more things these "old" markings may not be enough.
    Oh, I totally understand. Thats why I was saying "games" is simply just a raw overall definition encasing all games of all types- and within that one raw definition are loads of sub-types or genres. What the author was saying is that the term game is obsolete, which I disagree with. Had he said "We need more genres because there aren't enough that are accurate," that would have made more sense to me.

I see what youre saying also that there aren't sufficient enough classes, and I kind of agree with that statement and kind of dont. The last 15 years or so in gaming have brought about so many advancements, which in turn has brought about all the different genres of games we have now. Again, makes sense. Broadly classifying one huge thing into a bunch of smaller things is done for one reason: to make things simpler. But, if we give every single game that comes out that has a single element different then any other game, eventually all games will literally just be there own genre and we'd be back at step one, before it was simple.

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

That's not really right, though. The different kinds of games (FPS, RTS) are exactly the same as having different genres of books (novel, children's book)... It's the same product, but categorized for ease. o_O

That's... exactly the same system. All books are books. All games are games. o_O A novel is a book just like a first person shooter is a game. I don't understand your argument here.

Also, on topic, I agree with many of the people posting here that I don't think the term "game" is detrimental. They ARE games. o.o Just because some games are "better" than other games doesn't mean that they aren't games anymore.
    Last edited by Muffincat; 09-27-2011 at 07:30 PM.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

I kinda feel like the way he wrote it detracts from what he's trying to say, as there were several sentences that I found myself having to read over and over just to get what he meant, but I don't feel like it should be called anything else.

The word "game" is fine. Sure, for games like TES and Mass Effect, it's on a higher level of interaction, but they're still games. If someone thinks it sounds juvenile and "kiddy," well.. **** 'em. I don't need the opinions of someone else to tell me what to enjoy.

^Sig made by Lemons^
    "And if you succeed, you will do so... without recognition. Because you. Do not. Exist."

Thread Information