Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lilliai View Post
    I must admit, I am a WoW whore and cannot get oenough of it. I was therfore rather hesitant when I caught the new trailer for MoP. At first I was dead against the idea of Po and friends as it looked to childish for my liking (I am a lore fiend). I understand that WoW has had Panderin since Warcraft 3 but they are really just a jokey side attraction. I am down for beta testing the MoP and I am prepared to withhold my judgement till then, but it is not looking good from the releases I have seen. The new talent system is shocking and I hope not a final decision. It is yet another way to dumb down the game for braindead idiots to not struggle.
    I was actually kind of excited about the idea of the Panderin hah I think it’s kind of a sell out, and I mean they are using the same race for both sides…. but they’re just so damn cute xD

I totally agree with the dumbing down the game though. They’ve been doing it consistently for awhile and it sucks. I will admit, there are many changes that make the game less time consuming which some refer to as “dumbing down”- but that’s not what bothers me. Years ago you had the ability to min max your character. You had 3 sets of trees, all of which you had the ability to put points into. If you were stupid enough to put your talent points all over the place- your character sucked. That meant you actually had to read each skill from each tree to know how everything was going to be affected, a simple trial and error process. I was most definitely guilty of this…. My main char is a lock. When I first made her I had points all over the place, causing my DPS to downright *suck*. Instead of whining about it, blaming it on the game and quitting, I stuck to it and in the end it turned out great. Imo, trial and error with the trees and skills results in you knowing your class in and out.

Well, I guess having the ability to completely customize your character’s skills proved too difficult for some. Blizzard’s response: cut down the number of talent points you receive and make it so that you can only spec into a single tree. That way, the people that were butthurt over the fact that they couldn’t handle figuring out how to properly make a character would feel better…. But whatever, it still worked I suppose. You still had a teeny tiny bit of customization you could do, but the process was still idiot proof…. Or so I thought until I saw the new talent system. Now you have one talent point, every FIFTEEN levels, equaling 6 whole points. Oh boy >_< When I saw that, it blew my mind. I mean seriously this:

Compared to this:

I stuck through Blizzard making questing easier, gaining experience easier, making instances easier, making gear easier to get and raids easier to complete…. but turning every class into boring, generic, idiot-proof clones that take no thought to make or play, no thanks. Makes me sad :/ I just hope someday an MMO is released that compares to WoW, because in it’s prime it really was a fantastic game.

@Mizel

You still pick a class tree. Like for Mages: Arcane, Fire, Frost. You learn each of their spells, and abilities like you normally would as you level, as well as previous (current) talents that benefit you.

I don't see how Blizzard dumbed down the talent trees. Currently, everyone uses only a few builds. That seems dumbed down to me. There's only 3 different builds that you can use. With the new trees, you can use a build that benefits your own play style without being judged upon. There's all of a sudden 5 different shadow priests doing different jobs because of their specs being different. Every 15 levels makes a big difference for your talent points too. You have to live with the ability/spell you just learnt for fifteen levels before you get another big choice. That's a game changer right there. It doesn't just actively boost you as you go, you get a burst to it. A challenge. I think the new trees are going to be a great thing, and it'll be nice to see some spec diversity rather than the same 2-5 cookie cutter builds at end game you use.

If you still pick a single class tree…. And can only spec into that specific one, and only get a single point every 15 levels- and they’ve taken many abilities away- how does that offer any spec diversity? It seems that having 3 trees and the ability to spec into all 3 would make for the most diverse range of builds. Like when I started, my lock was half destro and half demonology. You are one or the other now which to me, equals less diverse. Each of the 3 branches of the tree had talents that could help or harm you if you chose the wrong one. So if by more diverse you mean: instead of each tree having multiple abilities that you get to use all at once, you now have multiple abilities that you can’t use all at once, but you can now focus on a specific few…. then yes, I suppose that means more diversity…. but at the cost of losing abilities.

Even according to Blizzard about the old skill tree:

“In Cataclysm, we made some pretty radical adjustments to the talent trees. We really liked offering players a choice of class specialization at level 10, for example, and how streamlining each of the talent trees made room for meaningful choices and greater character customization. But it remained possible for players to "miss" really important performance talents.”

About the simplified MoP tree:

“We want players to gain access to important class performance abilities easily while ensuring that the more engaging utility abilities are front and center. Each talent set is comprised of three talents which fall into a clear "theme”. Currently, the goal is to avoid making any particular talent mandatory or to have them play a role in ability rotations directly.”

Basically summing it up, in their own words…players were missing important abilities so we are changing it all so it’s nice and clear and impossible to choose anything incorrect. And don’t worry what talent you chose, it’ll work regardless because there is no longer a need for a thought out spell rotation.

I’m not sure how that’s *not* dumbing it down since Blizzard pretty much, only in nicer words, said that easier and clear was their goal.

I will admit, that the one time I think the trees will be beneficial is in PvP… Instead of knowing what spec a player is and knowing exactly what talents they have, you don’t because now instead of them having every talent they used to, they only have a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizel View Post
    If you still pick a single class tree…. And can only spec into that specific one, and only get a single point every 15 levels- and they’ve taken many abilities away- how does that offer any spec diversity? It seems that having 3 trees and the ability to spec into all 3 would make for the most diverse range of builds. Like when I started, my lock was half destro and half demonology. You are one or the other now which to me, equals less diverse. Each of the 3 branches of the tree had talents that could help or harm you if you chose the wrong one. So if by more diverse you mean: instead of each tree having multiple abilities that you get to use all at once, you now have multiple abilities that you can’t use all at once, but you can now focus on a specific few…. then yes, I suppose that means more diversity…. but at the cost of losing abilities.

Even according to Blizzard about the old skill tree:

“In Cataclysm, we made some pretty radical adjustments to the talent trees. We really liked offering players a choice of class specialization at level 10, for example, and how streamlining each of the talent trees made room for meaningful choices and greater character customization. But it remained possible for players to "miss" really important performance talents.”

About the simplified MoP tree:

“We want players to gain access to important class performance abilities easily while ensuring that the more engaging utility abilities are front and center. Each talent set is comprised of three talents which fall into a clear "theme”. Currently, the goal is to avoid making any particular talent mandatory or to have them play a role in ability rotations directly.”

Basically summing it up, in their own words…players were missing important abilities so we are changing it all so it’s nice and clear and impossible to choose anything incorrect. And don’t worry what talent you chose, it’ll work regardless because there is no longer a need for a thought out spell rotation.

I’m not sure how that’s *not* dumbing it down since Blizzard pretty much, only in nicer words, said that easier and clear was their goal.

I will admit, that the one time I think the trees will be beneficial is in PvP… Instead of knowing what spec a player is and knowing exactly what talents they have, you don’t because now instead of them having every talent they used to, they only have a few.
    From this I read: "Blizzard cut out important spells and abilities." as the main focus.

You still get the important and beneficial talents that aren't in the tree as passive abilities in your spellbook. I believe if you go to the WoW website and click the Mists of Pandaria talent calculator, it will show you a skill/ability guide that goes along with your spec. So important talents like your DW bonus for Frost DK's are added as well and won't go to waste.

Also on your PvP talent tree note, it'll make things kinda interesting, it makes me giggly to think about it. All of a sudden there's 3 rogues on you....with 3 totally different skill sets and playstyles specc'd Assassination. All of a sudden there's a lot more thinking to the spec, as there's different moves they may or may not know, and you've got about 4 seconds to figure them all out. The PvP will be getting a lot more interesting in the game for sure. I don't think they're dumbing it down though. And there's still a ton of things they can tweak and fix with the game, too. We're still months away from release. I'm still expecting another race/class that has the same "Horde or Alliance!" thing the Pandaren does. Which is a kind of neat addition to the game imo.

You’re right, you do still talents and whatnot as passive abilities, it just annoys me that they took so much out. I just loved having a completely open ended set of skills- how it was before Cata even. I kind of feel like for me personally, they are taking out something that I enjoyed- which was mix and matching talents, and experimenting. It really did take a lot of thought and it was hard and frustrating, but I loved that. And it really was easy to royally screw your character up lol I don’t see that being an issue anymore, which is how imo it’s become easier. Well, not really just imo since Blizz basically said that’s what happening and that was their reasoning. But, if I was still playing WoW, and saw this change it’s certainly nothing that would force me to quit. Despite the fact that I feel like they are making it simpler to produce a good character, there is still that bit of curiosity :P

I think the reason Im so mad they are focusing on changing skill trees is because if it’s not broken, don’t fix it. I wish they would have focused more on balancing classes instead. In reality, the new trees are putting them a back a step in that aspect. When I last played, I was playing as a Disc Priest, a supposed healer class. Not only could nobody touch me in BG’s, but even in dungeons at a high level I was top DPS while *also* healing I mean, don’t get me wrong it was awesome lol But obviously not balanced.

As for PvP, it will def make things interesting That’s the only thing Im looking forward to with the new talent trees. It may also make PvP more frustrating if not impossible…. but that is to be seen.

All in all, it is what it is. Anytime there is a change or expansion in any game people always freak :P If you like it, keep playing- if you don’t quit…. But at least give it a try first.

I was a little lost when they announced this one to be honest, I was like umm .. where in the world do Pandas come into play??? LOL .. I asked one of my friends though and he said that it IS indeed part of warcraft lore soo we'll see I'm sure I will get suckered into playing that expansion when it comes out

Never question Pandas. Especially the Red variety.

Sig by TheMangler

lol ... forgive me for asking .. and I may regret this .. but what exactly is a red panda? >.<

:O

Now fall in love with it like the rest of us.

Or else o.o

Sig by TheMangler

OMG!!! that is just the cutest thing I have ever seen ... You have opened my eyes Synge LOL

Thread Information