Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Who are games made for...?

I looked at my games collection the other day and noticed the age thing on the cases, mostly 15 & 18's. I supposee some would say your an adult and those are the games you should be playing! But me, no way, I'm a gamer who loves all gamesespecially those aimed at the younger market. After looking at my games I wento to where I buy games and noticed that most games are marked 15 and quite a lot of 18's and very few at the younger gamer.

So, I got to thinking are games being made for the older teen and adults and the younger gamers slowly bing pushed out.

Also the price of games are expensive, new releases averaging £35-£40, so that aims at the people with more to spend, I know kids get pocket money but that's a lot of cash for a game.

These observations were made mainly for the PS & XBox consoles, but the Wii is slowly heading that way which normally is good for the younger games.

As anyone else noticed this trend?

Well the main idea is to make money for them while making people happy, right? So they jack the prices up and then make games for the age group of gamers that play the most video games

I've noticed this too.... maybe it can be attributed to better graphics? As time goes on and graphics get better games seem to be getting more violent/gorey. I mean even 10 years ago with games if someone gets shots its just a little area of red pixels. Nowadys someone gets shot and you can see their head explode and brains fly out.

However, I can't remember games ever being cheap. I was soooo excited when I got my SNES as a kid and only ever had like 10 games *max* because we couldn't afford any more.

After my college visit today and after looking at the classes you need to get an AS Degree in Computer Graphics, I realized how much hard work goes into every video game known and why prices are so high on newer games. I also realized that if I want to be like the top game makers today, then I have to make sure that I give 220% effort into making sure I work my way to the top. It might help me learn more about why games are starting to be centered towards the older yet still kind of young gamer groups.

Market research shows that games which get rated t abs m are generally more profitable than e games. E games generally don't have the depth if gameplay that many mainstream gamers are looking for. Also increased strictness from the ratings association help to place more games in the t to m category.

Well most of the games I bye now are rated 18, its probably like mizel say, as graphics get better and technology gets better it will be more gore and violence. But the stories can also get deeper and that means that atleast some of them will have sexuel content, and in many countries that is similar with a 18 years old rating.

Well, games are made for people to make money. If kid won't buy game, parents will. If you are 18+ and you have a work you will buy it on your own. Still price depends on quality of the game. If game is new, this is first part and tittle is not known in the world and company that made that game is not known too then price will not be too high. But if company is know well around the world as the tittle is then price will be a lot higher. Also graphics makes the price change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizel View Post
    I've noticed this too.... maybe it can be attributed to better graphics? As time goes on and graphics get better games seem to be getting more violent/gorey. I mean even 10 years ago with games if someone gets shots its just a little area of red pixels. Nowadys someone gets shot and you can see their head explode and brains fly out.

However, I can't remember games ever being cheap. I was soooo excited when I got my SNES as a kid and only ever had like 10 games *max* because we couldn't afford any more.
    I guess I've been fortunate as I've ever been an adult gamer, I was in my early 20's when computer games/video games started to hit the market, so fortunately I've been able for most part been able to buy games. Plus I get them as presents, my wife for example will buy a game instead of giving me a birthday or Christmas card which is great. Now I consider myself very fortunate and blessed that way. But if these games had come out when I was a kid, there would have been no way that I would've had a console or games as my family were not that rich.

It's the kids of the poorer families I feel for, if they scrape the cash together for the console, they then look for cheap or used games and if their kids are young there are not that many games on the market. I think this is another reason I noticed the gap in the age related games and costs.

Some families go into debt getting games for their kids sometimes. But then there is the media violence issue where parents get games that are not good for their kids to play and their kids walk all over them

Who things that video games have a real link to violence in children?

Thread Information