Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 5 star recruit ejected after dunk

Top forward flattens defender with dunk, is immediately ejected - Prep Rally - High SchoolBlog - Yahoo! Sports

<video inside>

You probably don't know Justise Winslow yet. It might be worth getting to learn the name, especially if he continues to produce incredible feats of athleticism like the preposterous slam you see below.

Winslow, a sophomore for Houston (Texas) St. John's School, was facing off against San Antonio (Texas) Antonian Prep in the annual St. Thomas Tournament in Houston when Winslow simply decided to take over on an explosive drive to the basket. The small forward -- he's currently 6-foot-5 and 200 pounds, but is likely to grow in the years ahead -- blew past an Antonian perimeter defender with a slick crossover dribble then took off from the edge of the key and dunked on top of Antonian's tallest post defender.
    As you can see, that battle was a pure mismatch. There was only ever going to be one winner, and given the force with which he took off with, there was little doubt that was going to be Winslow, who went on to finish the game with 10 points and 12 rebounds.
    Of course, there was a reason why Winslow's totals weren't even more impressive than that, and if you watch the video above closely you can see why. After finishing the slam, Winslow stared down his "dunk victim", promptly earning a technical foul from the nearby referee. Then, to cap things off, as he walked back up the court, Winslow offered up a salute to the St. John's fans in attendance, an act of perceived braggadocio that earned him an instant second technical and an ejection from the game.
    Thirty seconds, one enormous slam and two technicals. That's a busy half a minute for a top prospect.
    Naturally, Winslow is still a young, developing player, and he's likely to get a lot more attention from the top high school programs in the country in the years ahead. As one of the 5-star recruits in the Class of 2014, Winslow is practically guaranteed to attract a bright spotlight for the remainder of his high school career, no matter where it takes him.
    For now, he's clearly content focusing on his basketball, even if that leaves few people who can even attempt to defend him, as Antonian learned in painful fashion.

I personally disagree with the decision to eject the player after the dunk. smh zebra

I am really amazed at how feminine they are attempting to make sports. You dunk on someone, you get ejected. You celebrate after a TD, they take the TD away. As a coach, if a player did that to my team, I would tell them to use the other teams cockiness as fuel to score back on them. It is pathetic that refs and presidents of leagues thinks players feelings will be hurt by stuff like this.

Yeah im pretty sick of where it has lead to these days. Just aint right

I think it's right. Unsportsmanlike like conduct isn't about hurting feelings, if it was no one would give a ****, it's about being professional...

I guess i can see your point but i think it's really been blow out of proportion in what they don't allow anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by thedeparted View Post
    I guess i can see your point but i think it's really been blow out of proportion in what they don't allow anymore.
    I don't really follow basketball so I don't really know but do you think it's just because it was highschool? Or are they strict in the NBA too?

Annnnd best of luck to this kid. I hear the competition and difficulty of moving from High School level --> College level --> Professional level like quadruples every-time you move up

The problem is is that in college, if you act out of line they ban you for 5-6 games, which matters a lot to a season. In the pros you can punch, choke, kick, ect... another player you get a slap on the wrist and move on. No consistency.

I think its just because its High School, NBA/College players get slammed on and really nothing happens unless there is taunting after the dunk and even then its just a technical foul. Personally I wonder why the High School player didn't get a technical if the ref felt he went over the top or whatever he was feeling , the ref seemed to be pretty liberal with the ejection.

Quote Originally Posted by thedeparted View Post
    I think its just because its High School, NBA/College players get slammed on and really nothing happens unless there is taunting after the dunk and even then its just a technical foul. Personally I wonder why the High School player didn't get a technical if the ref felt he went over the top or whatever he was feeling , the ref seemed to be pretty liberal with the ejection.
    Sounds like in Semi-Pro (Will Farrell basketball movie) they come up with the first alley-oop and the ref tries to declare it a illegal move.

Sounds like from what you and sunset are saying is A LOT depends on the ref which sucks that the sport is highly affected by the opinions/views of the ref.

Yeah refs can be shady in basketball

Thread Information