Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking How much GFP for a MC server

Hey guys I would like to setup a private server with my freinds but all of our internet suck really bad i have tryed it but it was WAY to laggy. i would like the server to be up at around 9 am est-11 pm est or 24-7 if posible (that would be better). I need admin comands and it would be white listed ill get that for you if you accept. GFP is no object i only have bout 300 right now but if you need more I will pay back I promiss, you will be in the server... DUR. I hope I can get a server soon. (If wanted I can pay monthly)
    thanks,
    Egg-Whites

Exentenzed is offline Professional (Battlefield) Helicopter Pilot.

Uhm, i don't think anyone will pay real money to get you a server just for GFP. It's worth something to us. But not real money. :P Atleast not to me. :/

Sig. by Psychotray

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Especially when we already have a server if we want to play o.o

^ Sig by Foofle ^

300 gfp isn't a lot of gfp.

Real money? I just need somone to setup a MC server? it's free to do that??

So you have a server already? But don't know how to make it work? Am I understanding now?

No it isn't. o.o

You can't just run it from most computers, for various reasons. You usually need to have an actual server just kicking around (which most people don't). Servers cost a lot of money, so most people usually pay for a service (though it is often fairly cheap).

Also, I don't know that people will do it for GFP. I have like 30,000 lying around in the bank and even that isn't a lot compared to a lot of people o.o

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Minecraft server are free to run if you do it from your PC or server, they're actually fairly easy to run too, it doesn't take much. I ran one my computer so me and and a friend could do sky block together. You just have to allocate more RAM to minecraft for the server. I allocated 2 gigs for it, then left just a half a gig to run minecraft which is the default and had the other half free for what ever( only have 3 gigs cause xp sucks.) The server lagged down if I had a bunch of stuff running on my computer, but if it was just minecraft and the server it was fine. I only kept it up when we were playing on it though. Was lag free for 2 people, not sure what would happen if more people came in.

I don't really like to keep my computer running all the time, let alone stressing it by keeping a server running for 12 hours a day or so. So I can't really help you, but one of you should try hosting it your self and see how it runs, it may not be that bad.
    Last edited by Trunks; 02-18-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    Minecraft server are free to run if you do it from your PC or server, they're actually fairly easy to run too, it doesn't take much. I ran one my computer so me and and a friend could do sky block together. You just have to allocate more RAM to minecraft for the server. I allocated 2 gigs for it, then left just a half a gig to run minecraft which is the default and had the other half free for what ever( only have 3 gigs cause xp sucks.) The server lagged down if I had a bunch of stuff running on my computer, but if it was just minecraft and the server it was fine. I only kept it up when we were playing on it though. Was lag free for 2 people, not sure what would happen if more people came in.

I don't really like to keep my computer running all the time, let alone stressing it by keeping a server running for 12 hours a day or so. So I can't really help you, but one of you should try hosting it your self and see how it runs, it may not be that bad.
    Yeah, they're free if you have the ability to run it, which most people don't. If you use your own computer, you have to have it running 24/7 (and a good enough computer and internet), which is not feasible for everyone. Servers aren't something that most people have lying around (though some do).

I don't think anyone said that running the server itself costs money, but a lot of people use a service that charges you a monthly $5, or something like that - which is often more feasible. Minecraft is a big hog on computers; we've tried running our own, but once there's more than a couple people, it usually ends up failing. It's pretty poor, honestly. Simply running Minecraft on some computers takes up a lot, let alone trying to run a server (or do both). It usually ends up lagging and being unplayable, at least on the kind of equipment that most people have running around. I had a friend who ran a server well by dedicating an extra computer he had lying around as the server, but it certainly wasn't his primary computer.

Also, he already said that he and his friends tried it and it didn't work because they have terrible internet.

I just don't think it's likely that egg-whites will find someone who is willing or able to run a 24/7 server, but it doesn't hurt to ask for sure.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Exentenzed is offline Professional (Battlefield) Helicopter Pilot.

OH! You are asking for someone to set up your sever! Sorry, must have misread or something.

Alas, i don't know how to do that.

Also the biggest resource you need to host a minecraft server is bandwith. Which is why i can't do it. I've checked with my 16mbDL-0.7mbUL bandwith and i was reccomended to only have a 2 slot server max (Was close to 3). xD From what i've seen you should make sure to have about 1mb dl/ul speed per 4 slots.

Sig. by Psychotray

Thread Information