Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Muffincat View Post
    Yeah, they're free if you have the ability to run it, which most people don't. If you use your own computer, you have to have it running 24/7 (and a good enough computer and internet), which is not feasible for everyone. Servers aren't something that most people have lying around (though some do).

I don't think anyone said that running the server itself costs money, but a lot of people use a service that charges you a monthly $5, or something like that - which is often more feasible. Minecraft is a big hog on computers; we've tried running our own, but once there's more than a couple people, it usually ends up failing. It's pretty poor, honestly. Simply running Minecraft on some computers takes up a lot, let alone trying to run a server (or do both). It usually ends up lagging and being unplayable, at least on the kind of equipment that most people have running around. I had a friend who ran a server well by dedicating an extra computer he had lying around as the server, but it certainly wasn't his primary computer.

Also, he already said that he and his friends tried it and it didn't work because they have terrible internet.

I just don't think it's likely that egg-whites will find someone who is willing or able to run a 24/7 server, but it doesn't hurt to ask for sure.
    Eggs asked if it was free, and thedeparted seemed a little confused I was just confirming that it was if it was ran off someones server or computer and not from a company. I'd say my computer is pretty average, maybe below average and my runs fines on minecraft. If many people would just direct more memory to java or minecraft it'd probably run way better. It's also not needed to run 24/7, he said morning to bed time would be fine.

Like I said never tried running it for more than 2 people. So I wouldn't know if my computer would be able to. I don't think minecraft takes much resources to run though. I do have pretty good internet though, 15MB download, upload is only 1MB though.

and if it doesn't hurt to ask then why are you guys just ripping him apart about it lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Exentenzed View Post
    OH! You are asking for someone to set up your sever! Sorry, must have misread or something.

Alas, i don't know how to do that.

Also the biggest resource you need to host a minecraft server is bandwith. Which is why i can't do it. I've checked with my 16mbDL-0.7mbUL bandwith and i was reccomended to only have a 2 slot server max (Was close to 3). xD From what i've seen you should make sure to have about 1mb dl/ul speed per 4 slots.
    That makes sense on how mine was able to run 2 fine. We have about the same internet speed.

anyway, good luck finding someone eggs.
    Last edited by Trunks; 02-18-2012 at 01:37 PM.

I can't do it for the same reason as Exe, my internet is complete **** :/

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    they're actually fairly easy to run too, it doesn't take much. I ran one my computer so me and and a friend could do sky block together.
    Did you guys only do Skyblock? You could run that on a Commodore 64 :P

Loading up and playing on an actual map is an entirely different story.

Sig by TheMangler

Well we did at first, but after we loaded up a full map and it was fine lol.

Hmm darn I think I could get a make do server with my computer but i dont know how to port forward does anyone have a linkskys e2500 to help me port foward. (A whole video on how to do the whole thing would be nice but what ever works i can read so if its text i can do that.

You're gonna need bandwidth and RAM for a good server (both of which I lack). To open a port you have to go into the router's settings by typing in your routers IP address into your browser and opening whatever port you want to use
    Last edited by CraeSC111; 02-19-2012 at 04:48 AM.

okay but how do you do that?

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Like I said never tried running it for more than 2 people. So I wouldn't know if my computer would be able to. I don't think minecraft takes much resources to run though. I do have pretty good internet though, 15MB download, upload is only 1MB though.
    Yeah, I think it usually crashes with more than 2 or 3 max for most people - though I didn't say it was impossible. Obviously, people run their own Minecraft servers. It generally isn't feasible for most people, is all I was saying. And it takes up a lot more resources than it should o-o But yeah, I think internet is usually the biggest factor - most people don't have access to good enough internet. At least, that was one of the issues that I and other people I know ran into. Minecraft uses up most of my computer's resources when I run it, though. I can barely do anything else if I have it on :/

and if it doesn't hurt to ask then why are you guys just ripping him apart about it lol....
    No one is ripping him apart; we're just saying it's unlikely that someone will be able to/want to host a server for him o_O

Quote Originally Posted by egg-whites333 View Post
    Hmm darn I think I could get a make do server with my computer but i dont know how to port forward does anyone have a linkskys e2500 to help me port foward. (A whole video on how to do the whole thing would be nice but what ever works i can read so if its text i can do that.
    Most routers are the same, but you should be able to find everything you need on Google, unless some fine soul wants to give you explicit directions :P You can do as Crae said and type the IP into your address bar; I can't remember the standard router IP off the top of my head. Most of the routers I have used in the past had some weird obscure IP @_@
    Last edited by Muffincat; 02-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Port Forwarding: Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com

Find your router, then the game, and follow through.

Easy.

I use it all the time for stuff, used to use it a lot more when my server was up and running. And it should have Minecraft info for every router.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

I looked on that website and it didn't have the router on it I was using at the time so I had to figure it out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CraeSC111 View Post
    I looked on that website and it didn't have the router on it I was using at the time so I had to figure it out myself.
    Most routers are nearly identical though. Take Dlink for example, there's only really 3 or 4 variations of port forwarding for the ~8721941098234 (rough estimation) models of routers they have. Find the combos, mix and match, the one that works for you works. Not too much trouble, my router wasn't listed either.

Thread Information