Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bob makes a gundam

spru1.jpg

After watching the first season of Gundam OO and remembering how much I liked assembling model kits I decided to give the 1/144 scale models another try. I got a great deal on the price and I was interested to see if the model was as good as some of the pictures I have seen.

spru2.jpg

Right out of the box things looked good, I could tell I would have to use a marker to add detail and make the parts pop. This is also the case with 1/100 scale gundams I have put together as well so not so much of a surprise. Clipping all these parts and cleaning the edges is the slow dirty work. I decided to man up and give this gundam my best effort despite my bad experiences with the smaller models.

action2r.jpg

The sexy results.

The detail and quality of this master grade 1/144 scale model where on par with the best gundams I have built. There is a ton of flexibility in the parts and this gundam stands with amazing balance, better than my custom gouf even. The shield here actually has a sticker for the white part, that big sticker is my least favorite part of the model, because over time I know its going to start to look bad. I might have to peel it and simply paint the shield. Im finding good painting makes up for any sticker.

action1.jpg

The big sword fits almost exactly on the wrist as the anime, ther is a grey part that locks into the arm for the sword and shield, those being the most obvious differences from the anime. It hard to actually tell if the anime or the models where made first. Im betting they had the models in mind when they made the anime. There are so many small details that would be hard to add to an anime that look great on this model.

comparex.jpg

Here you can see the 1/100 gouf next to the smaller scale 1/144. While the gouf actually has a lot more pieces, the Exia gundam is not far behind on detail.
    Last edited by BobTD; 03-14-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

super lame post restrictions have made me split this post, carrying on:

compare2l.jpg

Here we have the exia and my phone.

side1i.jpg

Exia with sword belt

painted1.jpg

Painted beam saber.

Im still waiting on a marker in the mail for th final touches. But all in all I think the Gundam 00 models are a huge and vast improvement of the 90s gundam wing crap they used to put out. I built 3 1/144 scale gundams from wing and non of them are worth uploading pictures of.

let me know what you think, also if you dont know much about the gundam series I would recommend the Gundam 00 anime to anyone, its a great one to start out with, IMO its one of the best in the series. ANd the story is independent from the others.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

I geeked over this!!!!!!! That is awesome! Brings back memories of a screwed up Gundam Death Scythe in the hands of a 8 year old (me). How difficult was it? I think i will be getting into modeling again. Haven't touched a Gundam in so long...
    My favorite is G Gundam for it being my first true Gundam i watched all the way through. Also have you watched Gundam Unicorn?
    Last edited by norid; 03-04-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Thank you Rachel and Subb for all the help

Well thanks, good to see some people think this is is as cool as I do.

As for the difficulty, I had no problem. I do recommend using an exacto knife to clean the edges and clippers to get the pieces off the sprue. You can paint anything that is a sticker if you mess it up, I was worried about the shield and stuff but I managed to get them on there pretty well. And I also have a 1/100 deathsythell! That was the first model I built. I will take pictures of it when Im finished restoring it, one of the wing type things broke, the part that connects was very poorly designed.

What is exciting is that they re made teh 1/100 deathsyth and its widely regarded as on of the best quality models printed.

Agh that's it I am going to try and get back to modeling and building.I just need to start off small. What would you refer to a beginner such as myself?

eh, look on amazon for gundams and find something in your price range. I have seen some go for $10-$20, if you arent paying top dollar you can count those as practice. The Exia here was $18 + shipping:

Amazon.com: Gundam 00: HG 01 GN-001 Gundam Exia 1/144 Scale Model Kit: Toys Games

As long as you take your time and detach the bits from the sprue with a sharp blade you can probably pull off a master grade quality gundam no problem. I guess I would recommend getting a gundam model from a series you know, its always more fun putting one together that you are familiar with.

I went and got Kyrios (who needs clothes for a bday anyway)....
    Amazon.com: Gundam 00: 03 GN-003 Gundam Kyrios 1/100 Scale Model Kit: Toys Games

I always liked this one and from the reviews I read hopefully I can pull it off. I am just doing this in between time for hw and classes anyways so I can go at a good speed.

Sweet, I love the 1/100 scale. And I love how that gundam looks, the colors are my favorite out of the 00 gundams. 1/100 is my favorit scale to build in. I was thinking I wanted to collect the four main gundam from 00 so I went with the 1/144 scale to cut the cost down a bit. There is simply no way I coul afford them all at the 1/100 scale right now. And I got the exia first just to make sure the quality was worth it.

I just ordered Dynamis, hopefully it will be as good as exia. Next I plan to order the O8th MS Team EZ8 to keep the gouf company.
    I found the Master Grade Deathsyth remake on amazon as well, this is supposed to be one of the best master grade gundams ever printed.

The Custom gouf I had in the comparison post and the EZ8 are both from the 08th MS Team series. The series that comes right after Wing. It has been my favorite for a while now because of the more realistic combat. There is one fight in particular that stuck with me as the best in the series:

Before you watch it, the pilot of the gouf is trying to kill the guntanks to prevent them from shooting his leader out of the sky, and was probably my favorite Zeon war hero of all time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m7YMbdA1jQ
    Last edited by BobTD; 03-05-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Double posting? Bumping a thread? This is not allowed normally, but according to military testing standards I am better than 93% of my peers and I have decided to use that as an excuse.

Also I was excited when I found this in my closet:

yeah, what where you doing when I was 15, nothing that cool I bet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Agh I opted to build the Astray Red Frame. Finished it. Just need to transfer pics from phone to computer =P
    And a little painting will be done.

Thread Information