Default The walking dead, the game review

So today dear readers I will review the Telltale game (gory pictures)

The walking dead

(Yes, come to daddy)

So the walking dead is a really popular tv serie and a comic book, well the studio Telltale thought about doing a game about it and this is the results.

PLOT

So this game follows Lee, he is being transported to jail at the time the infection starts. Well lets just say that things get interesting and by a coincidence you are free. Lee must try to survive amongst the undead as well as trying to get to safety.
    The story in the game is set prior before the tv show(that starts several days(?) after the first infection) and follows totally different people, even though you will see some familiar faces(If you watched the show or read the comic that is).

Gameplay

If you are looking for a game where you run around with two axes and a machine gun slaughtering hundreds of zombies you look at the wrong place, this is a slow game that focus as mutch on the actual survivors as it does on the zombies.

The walking dead is an episode type of game, so far only episode one has been released however the rest will come in the coming months(there are five episodes)

So The walking dead is an adventure game with a point and click type of gameplay mixed with quick time actions.

In the calm sections you can mostly control your character yourself, you walk around as normal and click at special locations to do things. At this point its mostly about solving puzzles and talking to people. In the more action oriented parts for example in fights with zombies its more of a quick time events game. I like this kind of gameplay and its a nice change of pace from many other games.

A big part of the game is talking to different people and helping them, when you talk to them you got several options which can change the oppinion of you, to call someone a b**ch can have big consequences in the future, also you got a limited time to choose.

The game is really short, about 2 hours if you hurry but during that time I really enjoyed it, feels almost like a good interractive movie(or serie).

Also the game will change dependable on what choices you make, both what you say and more physical choices will change the course of the game and the next episodes to in the end be a very personal experience.

graphics,sound

The graphic style in the game looks very cartoonish which I think suits it perfectly. The characters looks alive and the voice acting ups it even more, most characters feels really realistic and human, both in how they act and how they talk. And I must say, the zombies looks really disturbing.

(Smile for the camera)

Even with the cartoonish graphic dont think they made the game for kids. It swears much in the game and its also show some very dragged out and closed in gory scenes, where you for example stab a screwdriver in the head of a zombie, its not for kids.

Overall

The walking dead is an adventure game, it mixes point and click as well as quick time moments and normal. Its a slow pace game which lives more on the atmospere and the characters in the game than fast paced action(even if there are points in the game that are pretty chaotic).

The game features a cartoonish kind of style that follows the comic and the game got some really good voice actors which really make the characters live.

If you like slow paze adventure games with a few puzzles and dont mind a few quic time events Im sure you will like this game, if you are a "the walking dead" fan even better.

gameplay 7/10 Even if I feel a bit clumsy when walking around the controls are surprisingly good, also its not to much quick time events.

graphics 8/10 The game got this cartoonish kind of style which make the game almost look like a comic book, I love it.

sounds 8/10 The voice actors lift this game high up, the ambient sounds are working and sometimes they can give me the creeps.

total 8/10 Its a really good game, and I am eagerly waiting for part two.
    Last edited by paecmaker; 05-02-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Nice review. I may have to check out the game when my comp gets fixed. A few times in the article you typed witch where it should be which

Quote Originally Posted by CraeSC111 View Post
    Nice review. I may have to check out the game when my comp gets fixed. A few times in the article you typed witch where it should be which
    damnit, well thanks for pointing out, going to change it now.

Its been some time now and Telltale have released several more episodes now(the third is out).

The game continues at the same tracks as the first one, they concentrate more and more on the survivors and many of the things changes the other survivors oppinions about you. If its anything is that its still very simple and the choices still dont change as much as I wanted. Also Telltale have been slow in releasing more episodes. However I still recommend it to all zombie lovers.

Thanks for the review bro, might check it out later next week.
    My blog: Diablo 3

Pretty much how I would put it, except I would rate it a 10/10.
    The Walking Dead is something different, ya' know? It ain't that average ''shoot n' kill'' zombie game, it's got a story-line to it, of which will vary depending on choices you make within the game itself. In my opinion, that is a VERY creative element implemented in The Walking Dead, real-time events, plot twists, and so on and so on.

''Hey vanity, this vials empty. And so are you.''

SO I've finished all 5 episodes of this and have to say it is very good. A lot of people complain about how there actually isn't a lot of true 'choice' in the game, as whatever you choose the major events still happen the same way. But I think the big thing telltale did was introduce that mechanic where you only have a limited time to choose your dialogue reply (I've never seen it before- has it been in any other games before?)

This meant that you couldn't work out the different options, or re-try the dialogue- what you chose, you chose. That added a nice sense of realism for me and meant that you were really playing as Lee, who in effect became you.

Apparently season 2 is commissioned so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it. I hope they'll introduce more branching this time so that your choices do have more of an impact on the overall story (it'll be complicated to do but hopefully they'll have more money to work with?)

Shame the above can't be said for the recent Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Quote Originally Posted by RichSG View Post
    But I think the big thing telltale did was introduce that mechanic where you only have a limited time to choose your dialogue reply (I've never seen it before- has it been in any other games before?)

Apparently season 2 is commissioned so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it. I hope they'll introduce more branching this time so that your choices do have more of an impact on the overall story (it'll be complicated to do but hopefully they'll have more money to work with?)
    The same mechanic about the dialouges that you only got a limited amount of time was the same in alpha protocol(which was released a couple of years ago).

ah thanks, I may check that game out then! was it any good?

Thread Information