Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NATO: Russia talk of pre-emptive strike

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8430Z020120504
    BERLIN (Reuters) - A Kremlin threat to launch pre-emptive strikes on a planned NATO missile defense system in Europe is unjustified as the system poses no threat to Russia's security, the head of the Atlantic alliance said on Friday.

NATO has long insisted that the anti-missile shield it is developing is aimed at protecting member states from a possible Iranian attack, but Russia fears the system could undermine the effectiveness of its own nuclear arsenal.

In a stark escalation of rhetoric ahead of Vladimir Putin's return to the presidency next week, Russia's military chief-of-staff said on Thursday that Moscow might be forced to carry out pre-emptive strikes on NATO missile defense installations.

"These statements are unjustified," NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said in Berlin after talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

"Our missile defense system is not technically designed to threaten Russia in any way and we have provided that information to the Russians. Politically, we don't have any intention to attack Russia," he added.

NATO has invited Russia to cooperate on missile defense and they have shared defense interests, Rasmussen said, adding that NATO and Moscow had signed a pact 15 years ago pledging they would not use force against one another.

"The best way for the Russians to see with their own eyes that our system is not directed against them would be to co-operate actively," he said.

"We will continue our dialogue with Russia and I hope one day in the future we will reach an agreement."

General Nikolai Makarov, Russia's military chief-of-staff, told an international conference in Moscow on Thursday: "Decisions on the pre-emptive use of ... attack components will be taken in the period of heightening tension."

Testy exchanges between the Russian hosts and U.S. and NATO officials at the conference exposed how far apart the old Cold War foes remain on the terms of a deal that would allow them to cooperate on missile defense, an arrangement both say they want.

The missile defense system is due to be completed in four phases by about 2020 and includes interceptor missiles based in Poland and Romania.

Moscow says the West will gain the ability to shoot down Russian intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) in a few years, weakening Russia's nuclear deterrent.

Makarov said European states should decide whether protection against a possible future threat from nations such as Iran was worth the risk of facing down Russian weapons that would pose a "real threat" to countries hosting the facilities.

NATO will hold a summit in Chicago on May 20-21 at which the shield's first phase is to be declared up and running.]
    I feel sorry for anyone that would challenge the NATO Army.
    Last edited by Jaykub; 05-04-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykub View Post

I feel sorry for living in the middle of two major powers :/

(between a rock and a hard place)

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykub View Post

I feel sorry for living in the middle of two major powers :/

(between a rock and a hard place)

Why can't we all just get along >:U
    At least live with each other and not have to deal with missiles and armies and such nonsense.
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

That's the point, We're trying to defend our self against missile strikes and Russia has a problem with that >_<

Russia provides Iran with material for nuclear missiles then gets mad when NATO puts up missile defense systems? They totally aren't up to anything

We need a global defense system that undermines every nuclear arsenal, not just Russia's.

Quote Originally Posted by CraeSC111 View Post
    Russia provides Iran with material for nuclear missiles then gets mad when NATO puts up missile defense systems? They totally aren't up to anything
    Where did you find info that says Russia provided Iran with stuff for nukes?
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Back in 2010 Russia gave Iran fuel for their nuclear reactor. It caused scares over Iranian nuclear capabilities. Not sure if it was a factor in Iran developing WMDs but it does seem somewhat likely.
    And we need missile defense systems that mitigate everyone else's nuclear capabilities, besides our own (sorry European people )
    Last edited by CraeSC111; 05-07-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Back in 2010
    And we need missile defense systems that mitigate everyone else's nuclear capabilities, besides our own (sorry European people )
    Thats a bit like

no one should be able to have nuclear weapons, EXCEPT US MOAHAHAHAHA!!!(evil laugh)

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Back in 2010
    Thats a bit like

no one should be able to have nuclear weapons, EXCEPT US MOAHAHAHAHA!!!(evil laugh)

Of course no one should have nukes but us. If countries have to have sticks I want mine to have the biggest stick. Or if none should have sticks I want mine to break the rules and pick up a stick.

Of course no one should have nukes but us. If countries have to have sticks I want mine to have the biggest stick. Or if none should have sticks I want mine to break the rules and pick up a stick.
    Actually if the world had no nukes we would be living in a better place.

Thread Information