Default Against Me! Is this for real?

Tom Gabel Transgender: Against Me! Singer Reveals New Name

Is this real? I wonder what is going to happen to the band, do you think they are going to continue or break up maybe get a new singer?

I really don't see the problem. Why would the best break up just because he is transgender? Could care less if he was Gay, Straight, Transgender or anything else.

The reason why I asked was because he is going to become a woman... Which is whatever, but will they want a woman frontman...

Quote Originally Posted by XnewxskinX View Post
    The reason why I asked was because he is going to become a woman... Which is whatever, but will they want a woman frontman...
    What's the problem with a front-woman? There are many awesome front-women. As long as he sings the same then there's no need to change the singer.

Is this real? I wonder what is going to happen to the band, do you think they are going to continue or break up maybe get a new singer?
    It's the same heart, soul, and inspiration behind the music. If he feels that he'd rather be a she, then more power to her. It's hard enough for anyone to come out and do something like that, let alone someone in the media spotlight with thousands of people berating her. It'll be interesting to hear new vocals but that's the thing about bands. People change inside and out (not usually this drastically, but whatever) and if you're a true fan of the music, you'll stick with them in and out and continue to support and listen to them. Except when Metallica did Lulu. That was horrible, I don't care how much anyone loves them. That was trash lol.

The band doesn't exactly know what they are going to do... And really the whole point of this was to see if that site was credible. But seeing as it is in Rolling stone, it must be...
    Tom Gabel of Against Me Comes Out as Transgender | Music News | Rolling Stone

Personally I think the band sucks rather male, or female singer. But it is my husbands FAVORITE band. I just wanted to know if it was true so I could harass the crap out of him... Not going to go into details but he went into a big long speel about how much my music sucks and how he basis his music choice on education and blah blah... Anyways... It doesn't change HIS opinion on the band... But he said looking back at it, it makes some of the songs make more sense... Infact I guess one song is about Tom wishing he was a woman and named Laura.

Is he getting his voice altered too? I've encountered some transgender people and usually their voices are the same, they just have that flamboyant lisp

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
    Is he getting his voice altered too? I've encountered some transgender people and usually their voices are the same, they just have that flamboyant lisp
    Are they fully through with the procedure though? I imagine with the estrogen in her system, when the whole thing is said and done after a couple years her voice will be more feminine.

I only think as of right now he is just doing hormones. They are currently on tour and I believe when they are done, he is going to have gender reassignment surgery and whatever else. As far as voice, I just watched a show on men who become women and the majority of them had super feminine voices. But who knows.

If his voice is super feminine, that's one thing. If his range changes though, then it'll cause problems

Thread Information