Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I ask for a Wii for graduation?

I'm not a gamer--everything I know about video games comes from Zero Punctuation and Penny Arcade--so forgive me if I seem ignorant here.

I'm about to graduate from high school and my mom wants to get me a graduation present. Her idea? $600 earrings. I'm thinking of asking for a Wii instead, something to play with over the summer and take with me to college. I hear Wiis are good for casual gamers, and it would be something nice to do with friends. Do you guys think I should ask for a Wii? And if so, what games should I get for it?

Graduation at 16? Congrats!

Mario Party
    New Super Mario Bros

are a start

Quote Originally Posted by thedeparted View Post
    Graduation at 16? Congrats!
    Yeah wondering about this as well, xD Although she may be from the UK where their school system is different (not 100% sure just heard bits and pieces of it.)

Don't go about it as "Could I get a Wii instead?" I can kinda see where your mom is coming from. She wants to get you something nice, that will last, and be more of a sentiment; a keepsake. You want something more practical that will be used. Totally understandable. Explain that how I did (I'm the suck-up king ) and just show you want something you and others can enjoy, blah blah etc.

Casual fun games would be like thedeparted said Mario Party, New Super Mario Bros. We've done quite a bit of playing on the Wii with my girlfriends younger sisters, their friends, our friends, etc, and we've found a ton of games we all like.

-Super Smash Bros. (fighting game)
    -Mario Kart Wii (racing)
    -Just Dance (any of them, they're fun to play. I still like 2 the best. TUNAC TUNAC TUN ooo DAH DAH DAH)
    -Trivial Pursuit
    -Family Feud
    -Wario Ware
    -Karaoke (Disney Sing It was pretty awesome. The cartoon one, not Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers crap. All the "Sing It" games are fun though)
    -Rock Band/Guitar Hero (little more expensive however.)

Hope that all helps!

Wii is great fun especially if you are not into "hardcore" games and have someone to play with. Wii = party console :P
    My blog: Diablo 3

Well Wii has Hardcore and mostly Casual games to offer. For someone like you it'd be very fitting.

Recommended Games:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Mario Party 9
    Kirby's Return to Dreamland
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Rayman Raving Rabbids
    GoldenEye 007
    Mario Kart Wii
    NBA Jam
    and Wii Sports Resort should make a good start for Wii.

Hardcore Games for example are:

Conduit 2
    No More Heroes 1/2
    Mad World
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 (it was for me personaly more hardcore than most shooters)
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Don't have much to add to what the others have said. If casual is what you're after you'll find no shortage of casual games on the Wii. Keep in mind though, that it's nearing the end of its life cycle; The Wii U, Nintendo's next gen console, is coming this year and will become their main focus.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFLBRYCE View Post
    Y
    Don't go about it as "Could I get a Wii instead?" I can kinda see where your mom is coming from. She wants to get you something nice, that will last, and be more of a sentiment; a keepsake. You want something more practical that will be used. Totally understandable. Explain that how I did (I'm the suck-up king ) and just show you want something you and others can enjoy, blah blah etc.
    Or, ya know.. Let mom buy the earrings.. Then sell/return the earrings, buy a Wii and pocket 450 bucks >:]
    Last edited by Synge; 05-12-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Sig by TheMangler

Thanks, everyone! I asked my mother about it and she said yes, as long as she can use it for yoga sometimes. I think I'll get Mario Kart and a dancing game to start with.

Also, I would be graduating at 17, since I have a summer birthday, but I skipped 10th grade. That's why I'm graduating early.
    Last edited by misseureka; 05-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Yea but u should just go for a xbox if u want cuz thats pretty much the same with the kinect but then again u gotta pay extra for the kinect and u dont got mario party to yea id say go for the wii

Quote Originally Posted by Tails View Post
    Yea but u should just go for a xbox if u want cuz thats pretty much the same with the kinect but then again u gotta pay extra for the kinect and u dont got mario party to yea id say go for the wii
    The problem with Kinect is simple: There are, in my opinion, no good games other than Dance Central and Kinect Sports (R.I.P. Rare Ware). Also it seems that all wanna-be-hardcore(i hate that name)-games fail terribly.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tails View Post
    The problem with Kinect is simple: There are, in my opinion, no good games other than Dance Central and Kinect Sports (R.I.P. Rare Ware). Also it seems that all wanna-be-hardcore(i hate that name)-games fail terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordry View Post
    Hardcore Games for example are:

Conduit 2
    No More Heroes 1/2
    Mad World
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 (it was for me personaly more hardcore than most shooters)
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Metroid Prime Trilogy.
    Isn't Donkey Kong Country Returns the game that lets you autopilot through sections that are too hard for you? How exactly is that hardcore?

Thread Information