Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digimon World

Default Digimon World

Though a fairly old game, Digimon World for the Playstation one is still fun to this day. Why? It's unique.

After watching a clip showing your character being sucked into a keychain, you begin the game in file city surrounded by other digimon

You name your character and your Digimon whatever you want, and you go on an adventure to save the island by building a city to bring everyone together. Gameplay consists of training and raising your digimon, which consists of training at the gym, feeding it, letting it sleep, and taking it to the bathroom. It lets you know what it needs through a thought bubble. You can also praise or scold your digimon for it's actions...you're going to want to praise it for doing things such as fighting boss digimon and scold it for doing things like disobeying commands or going to the bathroom outside of the restroom. The gym contains a bunch of machines which train individual stats, but training too much makes your digimon tired. The better job you did training and raising your digimon, the better digimon it will digivolve into. After a few days your starter digimon will digivolve into another form, and if you raised it well enough, it will digivolve even further.

The point of the game is to go around the island, convincing digimon to join your city in an effort to bring the island's inhabitants together and save the digital world. You can't recruit every digimon however, only certain ones will join the city. Usually digimon join after a battle, but sometimes you need to bring them an item or meet some other kind of condition for them to join. A lot of these digimon have easy conditions to satisfy, but eventually getting digimon to join the city becomes very difficult, which leads me to the first of the game's problems. Not all Digimon reach their final form, and instead die of all age. However, by the time you get your digimon strong enough to fight some of these bosses, they've reached that age. So, most of the time you spend playing the game is spent raising weak digimon to be strong enough to fight enemy digimon, and very little time will be spent actually recruiting digimon. On the plus side, it makes for a very satisfying experience when you finally manage to recruit the next digimon. However, when you do reach the ultimate form, that's your best chance to fight the various boss digimon and convince them to join the city.

Battles consist of yelling commands at your digimon while it acts mostly of it's own accord. You start by only knowing two commands ("your call" which lets your digimon do whatever it wants and "run" which escapes from battle) but as you train your digimon in intelligence, it gains more commands (defensive, all out, keep your distance, or the option to choose whatever attack your partner knows) aside from issuing commands, you can throw items to your digimon to use, and issue it's final special attack, but otherwise you don't have much control over your digimon. It can be frustrating, but in the game you control your character, not the digimon, so it makes sense, and is very satisfying when you command your digimon to a victory.

The graphics are good, considering the system the game was released for. The in-game models all look great, with lots of detail, and the pre-rendered backgrounds also look great. There isn't much sound, other than some nature sounds and sounds of other digimon.

There is a multiplayer mode, which involves pitting digimon against each other. In order to fight digimon, you need to register your digimon on a computer in the starting area, and you can fight these digimon against each other. There isn't much more to say about multiplayer mode.

All in all, while there are some shortcomings, these add to the experience by making your successes in the game even more satisfying. It's also a very satisfying experience to watch your city grow and prosper, as well as finally getting that ultimate level digimon you've been yearning for. However, this game isn't your typical action or rpg game, and plays closer to animal crossing meets tamogochi, and isn't for everybody, but if that sounds like fun, or you're a big fan of digimon (and don't mind the fact that it's an old game) then give it a shot.

Ahh I actually played this game. I don't own it, but always wanted it.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    Ahh I actually played this game. I don't own it, but always wanted it.
    It's a lot of fun. I've had it for years and i've still never beaten it because it's so freaking hard. I always end up coming back to it since it's such a fun and rewarding game.

Omg I miss those games

Shout out to Eggs for the awesome signature

I was actually looking to buy Digimon World: Dawn for my DS but couldn't find a good copy. I have always loved those Digimon World, just because it was the one game my friend could never really enjoy that I did.

Thank you Rachel and Subb for all the help

Wow I completely forgot all about this game. I remember when the Digimon would poop lol. I may have to find this on eBay to play it again. Thanks for the memories.

My friend showed me this digimon MMO so me and her have been playing that the past few days and it kinda got me back into digimon a little bit, so I figured i'd review the game.

Oh man I loved this game so much! I remember crying all the time because your digimon dies out lol. Then I got the gameshark code that makes him immortal XD
    My blog: Diablo 3

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
    My friend showed me this digimon MMO so me and her have been playing that the past few days and it kinda got me back into digimon a little bit, so I figured i'd review the game.
    Where can I find this and is it free??

Shout out to Eggs for the awesome signature

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTrynPlz View Post
    Where can I find this and is it free??
    Digimon Battle- The Journey Begins. To the Digital World is free, but there's a sequel that's better I guess I just don't know the URL. I'll ask her for the link

Thread Information