Default FRAPS - 5fps in-game

Does anybody use FRAPS? I know there are better programs out there, but I got FRAPS, because I know a lot of people who have got along fine with it, at a reasonable price. I purchased it today, and I've had nothing but bother with it. Every time I go into a game with FRAPS active, I'm put right down to 5fps, regardless of how low or high my settings are, and that's all before I've even pressed the 'record' hotkey!

My computer is good enough to run both a video game and fraps at the same time, but I just don't understand why it's so dire right now.

Has anybody had the same issue, or know how to fix it?

Thanks.

I've used fraps before (I still have it but haven't used it in months) but never had any issues with FPS dropping that greatly. It's generally the GPU that would cause issues like this, what graphics card do you have?

And download WeGame and see how that treats you, it's similar to Fraps but free.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    I've used fraps before (I still have it but haven't used it in months) but never had any issues with FPS dropping that greatly. It's generally the GPU that would cause issues like this, what graphics card do you have?

And download WeGame and see how that treats you, it's similar to Fraps but free.
    I have a GTX 560 duder. I found out what was causing the problem though, but didn't have time to post due to me being swamped! Every time I come out of Company of Heroes, for some reason it causes every game I play afterwards to lag, ridiculously, if I've not restarted my PC. It's happened once or twice before, but I've never nailed it on to CoH causing the problem until now, when I did a few tests.

So until I find out what the problem is with that, I'll just avoid CoH if I want to get some video stuff done!

Thanks for the suggestions though mate.

That's weird. Do you use fraps soon after you get out of CoH? Or do you wait?

If it's soon after, then it might be an overheating issue. I had that a few years back with my old 8600GT on L4D. Major FPS drop on any other game right after even though L4D was fine. Just something to look out for so you can at least rule it out if it's not the case.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Hm, a 50 investment or so of RAM could really help in these situations, but you did say your computer was good enough.

If you record does it slow down even more?
    If not, do this, goto the "Movies" section and hit 60fps, and then Half Size, this will make it record, and possibly in the situation run much faster, but at a cost to quality.

If this doesn't work I really suggest reading there FAQ.

Never had any problems with it at all
    My blog: Diablo 3

Thread Information