Thread: shoutbox

Default shoutbox

we should put a shoutbox on this forum i heard its free and easy to do and i think it will increase usage of the forums by the community

Mizzie sent me a message about my lack of being in IRC, but I can pass that rant on and tell you to go -> http://widget00.mibbit.com/?server=i...32d325963b39f2

+ the hasn't the shoutbox/chatthingy on the page like the never-ending-quest-to-talk-Linux-to-do-it, but there has been some real reasons it hasn't shown up?
    Last edited by vepanator; 09-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.

linux should put it in

I believe the reason was before was that it would decrease post count. I think, I could be wrong.

decrease post count? lol

All shoutboxes that I've encountered have security flaws, they're easy to break through. We had one a long time ago but removed it once an exploit was discovered.

I did try out a mod last year (or the year before) that basically put the IRC channel on a page here, but it also had a major exploit, I removed it after a week. I'll see if any updated ones came out (possibly leak free, which is unlikely).

As for an actual shoutbox, the other reason was that it ways takes away from forum activity. The stuff that we get for the forum (servers and advertising that keep the forum running) comes because we can show that our post count is ever-increasing. I've seen too often that shoutboxes take away from forum posting and end up hurting the forum. Over time, this has actually become a secondary concern. I'm more worried about the forum being exploited because of a small bug in software which shoutboxes are known for.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

define shoutbox bug and what does it exactly do?

Exploits - they allow people to hack into the forum and shut it down. That's not even the worst case scenario.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Thread Information