Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Power Supply Amps Help

So I was looking over my GPU that I'm getting and I noticed that my Power Supply doesn't give enough amps. The GPU says it requires at least 30 amps on the 12v rail. Mine only supplies 28 amps, so I'm just going to buy a new power supply.

I'm just confused what I'm looking at, I'm on newegg looking at the specifications on power supplies. Is it the output that current that says +12V1@16A +12V2@16A +12V3@16A +12V4@16A does that determines the amps?

If so
    Newegg.com - COOLMAX CL-700B 700W ATX 12V v2.2 Compatible with Core i3i7 Power Supply
    This card has 4, 12v rails at 16 amps each. Do I need 30 amps on a single rail or what?

Also, Just curious to know how many watts/amps I should go over the minimum so I don't stress the power supply. The Card requires at least 500 watts with 30 amps on a 12v rail. So should I go up to 700 watt Power supply with like 35 amps?
    Last edited by Trunks; 11-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Well after doing some research and talking to a few people I found it out.

To anyone who is interested, whatever the recommend watts for the card is, you divide that by 12, because of the 12v rail. So my card requires 500 watts, which means 500/12 is about 40. So for the Power Supply to run fine without any stress, it's best to have about 40 amps for the power supply.

The different 12v rails can be added up to find the total amps, so the one I posted above has 4 12v rails at 16 amps which totals to 64 amps. Though it's better to have all the amps on a single rail, it gives the PSU a lot more power.

Also I was told by a lot of people that cool master sucks, don't buy it. So instead I'm dishing out extra cash for a better brand.

Well doubt anyone cared, but there ya go.

I saw the thread from work but didn't have any time to write out a response

And did they say coolmax sucked or coolermaster? Because Cooler master is awesome.

I have an OCZ Fatil1ty which is awesome too, I like OCZ Products.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Oh yeah, it was cool max, sorry about that. I'm going to get a corsair though. Read the reviews they were all postive. The negatives all had replies from custmer service, so looks like a good company.

Corsair is awesome too, currently using their RAM (will be adding G.Skill soon).

Thermaltake is another good brand, they make good cases and PSUs, and Antec also makes great cases, not sure how their Power Sources are, I've never used them but it's another great company imo.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Yeah I like G skill for memory as well that's what I currently have. I was looking at Antec cases, but I don't want to pay 100 dollars for a case. Starting to run low on cash and I still need to buy windows 7 and like 4 more gigs of ram. Might wait on the case till later.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    Yeah I like G skill for memory as well that's what I currently have. I was looking at Antec cases, but I don't want to pay 100 dollars for a case. Starting to run low on cash and I still need to buy windows 7 and like 4 more gigs of ram. Might wait on the case till later.
    Newegg had a black friday sale for g.skill memory. 8 gb for $25 which was extremely cheap. Price is back up though, but I think if you buy it around Christmas, you should be able to get a similar deal.

Ended up going with a roswell, was only 60 dollars with 600 watts. 46 amps. Reading the comments, seems like a good company, they replied to all the negative feed back.

Have another question thought I'd just ask here instead of making a thread. I have an quad core i5 750, it's basically the worst quad core i5 you can get lol. Is my professor going to hold me back a lot? Because I bought a GTX 670, would I still be able to run games with decent fps with and i5 750. Friends that I play with online that are pretty tech savy laughed and said they never heard of an i5 750 lol.

When I bought it last year, I did some research on it, it's supposed to be one of the better CPU's for gaming, but I wonder if it's too out dated for today's newer games. Plus it's discontinued I believe, another sign that it's outdated lol.
    Last edited by Trunks; 12-04-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Rosewill is a good company, if I'm not mistaken, I believe it's a house label of newegg so their customer service is very good imo.

And it's highly unlikely that the i5 will cause any issues with gaming unless you let it overheat. And being the worst Quad Core i5 still makes it so much better than so many other CPUs out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    Is my professor going to hold me back a lot?
    That I don't know about, you're gonna have to talk to your professor about that :P

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    Rosewill is a good company, if I'm not mistaken, I believe it's a house label of newegg so their customer service is very good imo.

And it's highly unlikely that the i5 will cause any issues with gaming unless you let it overheat. And being the worst Quad Core i5 still makes it so much better than so many other CPUs out there.

That I don't know about, you're gonna have to talk to your professor about that :P
    lol, yeah I guess I'll talk to him....

But yeah, I got enough case cans to keep my cpu cool, plus the i5 is capble of over clocking from 2.67 to 4.32. So I should be good considering I'm not even over clocking it yet.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it.

Thread Information