Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default PlayStation 4 New Controller Design

Article: PlayStation News: CVG sources: Sony to abandon DualShock design for PS4 - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

The new PS4 controller design, which remains a closely guarded secret across the PlayStation organisation, is expected to break new mould for Sony. The biometric tech, in particular, is something games studios such as Valve are interested in due to its function as a heart beat sensor.
    It's about time they change the controller, it's been the same thing since the original play station in 1998. Will be interesting to see what they release, hopefully we'll see it at E3. Also looks like next gen's big thing is going to be biometric controllers. Which will be nice, when going to friends houses. You'll be able to save games to the controller an take them to friends houses and play.

The heart beat sensor would be cool too if they could get it to work with the games correctly.

These are rumors btw, but the article says multiple reliable sources have said that it's not going to be dual shock controller.

Edit: New Info

Second Article: The PlayStation 4 Has A New Controller, Fancy User Accounts And Impressive Specs (So Far)

PS4 Specs:

System Memory: 8GB
    Video Memory: 2.2 GB
    CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)
    GPU: AMD R10xx
    Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet
    Drive: Blu-Ray
    HDD: 160GB
    Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels

To sum up the article. Basically, right now the PS4 is being called Orbis, it won't be the official release name, but that's what Sony is calling it while it's in development. The name seems to have something to do with the PS Vita, so it's likely that the two will be more compatible.

More information on the controller, it seems that Sony has said that will be releasing the same design of the Dual Shock type controller with 2 analog sticks ect. However the dual shock controller is supposed to have a few new features. Biometric data is one of them which is explained above. It will also have a touch pad like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button.

As well with the new dual shock controller, they're making a new controller based on the wii remote wand, no other information is released on it yet, so it's most likely just an idea for now.

This is kind of how the Biometric controllers work:

That's it for now. Remember, none of this information is confirmed, and even the information that is locked down in January 2013 may change before the console's eventual release, which is likely not for at least another nine months, at minimum.

A good view of the controller:
    Whats DualShock 4? - IGN
    Last edited by Trunks; 02-22-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: New info

Dont fix wasnt isnt broken, the design was a problem and they added those to it over the years. It's like changing the 360 design. All they need to do is get a better Dpad for Xbox 3. I'll wait and see, there is rumbling that Sony might jump E3 with a ps4 news launch, it'll be interesting if they do that. I can with near certainty believe that Microsoft and both Sony will be make some sort of splash at e3. Both are down yoy and any smart business man doesnt wait till his product is dead to release your next iteration.

I'd announce it before E3 then rather than waste time discussing the console I'd show off what it can do and what will be available at launch. Those press conferences are only so long. Less talking, more gaming. A new controller for either console would be interesting, but both work so well (despite minor flaws) I do not see why either should change them too dramatically.

I am pretty disappointed with PlayStation right now, if most of these rumors are true I may switch to a full time PC gamer.

Just update original post with new information, definitely sounds a lot better than the original news that was posted about the console and controllers.

There's a reason Sony hasn't changed the controllers in so many years. If it's not broke don't, fix it. Which is the same reason Microsoft is always changing the Xbox controllers :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mizel View Post
    There's a reason Sony hasn't changed the controllers in so many years. If it's not broke don't, fix it. Which is the same reason Microsoft is always changing the Xbox controllers :P
    I haven't heard any news about a new xbox controller? Or are you talking about older ones, because they're pretty similar, they just made a little smaller and removed a few buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    I haven't heard any news about a new xbox controller? Or are you talking about older ones, because they're pretty similar, they just made a little smaller and removed a few buttons.
    Oh no, I just mean the progression over time. Like if you look at:

Microsoft seems to change their controllers every time. But Sony seems to stick to the same thing. Overall, I def prefer Playstation controllers though. The Xbox controllers are honestly the one reason I don't own an Xbox :/

First 3 aren't even xbox lol, they're some odd PC joystick. When I had a PS2 and not an Xbox, I didn't like the big size either, but once I got a 360 I like it a lot better. It fits my hands better than the PS3 controller, on the ps3 my fingers touch in the back, xbox 360, they wrap nicely around the handles. It's all just personal preference

Yea, they're just Microsoft controllers lol But yea, to each his own. I think what I don't like is more where the pad and joystick are on the Xobox controller. If they just switched those, I'd be much happier lol

Thread Information