Default Wow Poachers suck

Poachers have killed more than 11,000 elephants in Gabon's Minkebe National Park rainforest since 2004, Gabon's government said on Wednesday, with the massacre fuelled by increasing demand for ivory in Asia.

The densely-forested central African country is home to about half the world's roughly 100,000 remaining forest elephants, the smallest species of elephant and coveted by ivory dealers for their harder and straighter tusks.

A study conducted by Gabon's government along with advocacy groups World Wildlife Fund and the Wildlife Conservation Society found two-thirds of the forest elephants in Minkebe park had been killed off since 2004, or about 11,100.

"If we don't reverse this situation rapidly, the future of elephants in Africa will be compromised," Lee White, executive secretary of Gabon's national parks agency, said in a statement issued by Gabon's presidency.

Demand for ivory for use in jewellery and ornamental items is rising fast in Asia. Conservationists say growing Chinese influence and investment in Africa has opened the door wider for the illicit trade in elephant tusks.

Poachers are often armed with large-calibre rifles and chainsaws to remove tusks, the statement issued by the presidency said. They have secret camps in the rainforest, evading small deployments of park guards and leaving rotting elephant carcasses in their wake.

A park official said most of the poachers were believed to be from neighbouring Cameroon, where the government has deployed army helicopters and hundreds of troops to protect its own dwindling elephant population.
    Gabon Elephant Poaching: More Than 11,000 Animals Killed In Minkebe National Park Since 2004
    friggin people wanting ivory going to drive elephants to near extinction

That's terrible, only a 100k forest elephants left, no humanity.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

The ivory is also used in ancient chinese medicine ways. I cant remember what they think it does, I stumbled off this old article and :|
    2 tons of elephant ivory seized in Hong Kong - World news - World environment | NBC News

Rhinoceros - Rhino Horn Use: Fact vs. Fiction | Nature | PBS

Unrelated but possibly related, another chinese medicine causing poaching on rhino horns because they believe its an aphrodisiac ffs...

That's so sad

it is sad, but then there is always the market that allows poachers to make a living off of acts like that.

Thread Information