Default Sim City - Another Victim of DRM

So all this Digital Rights Management bs is pretty much ruining the release of video games we're most looking forward to. One of the most notable instances was Diablo III - that launch was probably one of the worst launches I've ever experienced in my life, especially considering the hype and popularity surrounding the franchise.

Bringing us right back to the present day. We now have Sim City in stores. So far, the launch has been a catastrophe. If the server is broken, I don't get to play the game. If the server is busy, I get to play the game with performance issues. More often than not, the server has been broken.

Sim City is yet more evidence that companies just aren't learning from past mistakes, and their methods of DRM and the 'always online' approach is a massive hindrance to gamers. I know I started a topic similar to this one in 2012... maybe even 2011, but many games have been released since then, so there needed to be a fresh rant! It's just ignorant for companies to think that they can effectively handle a games launch day with a DRM method in place.

I appreciate EA and Maxis' vision to have everybody connected and working together with their cities in regions, but I don't wanna have to be forced to play that way. If I want to play offline and on my own then I should be able to. But to be restricted by a server issue, and not being able to play the game at all (like right now for example), it's just infuriating.

I just wanna play the frigging game!!! Screw your DRM.

SimCityRage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhmmz View Post
    So all this Digital Rights Management bs is pretty much ruining the release of video games we're most looking forward to. One of the most notable instances was Diablo III - that launch was probably one of the worst launches I've ever experienced in my life, especially considering the hype and popularity surrounding the franchise.

Bringing us right back to the present day. We now have Sim City in stores. So far, the launch has been a catastrophe. If the server is broken, I don't get to play the game. If the server is busy, I get to play the game with performance issues. More often than not, the server has been broken.

Sim City is yet more evidence that companies just aren't learning from past mistakes, and their methods of DRM and the 'always online' approach is a massive hindrance to gamers. I know I started a topic similar to this one in 2012... maybe even 2011, but many games have been released since then, so there needed to be a fresh rant! It's just ignorant for companies to think that they can effectively handle a games launch day with a DRM method in place.

I appreciate EA and Maxis' vision to have everybody connected and working together with their cities in regions, but I don't wanna have to be forced to play that way. If I want to play offline and on my own then I should be able to. But to be restricted by a server issue, and not being able to play the game at all (like right now for example), it's just infuriating.

I just wanna play the frigging game!!! Screw your DRM.

SimCityRage.jpg
    Yea, that whole thing irks me too. Not only that.... but you PAID for a game that you can't even play all the time. What if your out of town with no internet? Moving and won't have it for weeks? Etc etc. I hope that this isn't the future for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizel View Post
    Yea, that whole thing irks me too. Not only that.... but you PAID for a game that you can't even play all the time. What if your out of town with no internet? Moving and won't have it for weeks? Etc etc. I hope that this isn't the future for gaming.
    Sim City is swiftly on its way to the lowest rated item on Amazon, ever!
    Also, EA is banning any users who chat keywords like, "refund," or synonyms.
    Most of the EA forum community has requested a singleplayer mod, scrolling though the thread, the majority of them are now banned.

Steam has responded by making similar games discounted, these included: Tropico Series, Towns, City XL, and many, many more.

EA has however made many great games, don't let this entirely reflect upon future games coming from EA. There's even been rumors of a sequel to Mirrors Edge.

I agree, online only DRM is only bad. Sadly it makes many games unplayable for me(for example Diablo 3) not counting the server problems.

This url is to a page where people can sign a petition against online only games released by EA, I dont know if it will have any meaning but I have signed it.
    https://www.change.org/petitions/ele...d-future-games

online petitions dont work lol

Also im glad i didnt fork out money to build a computer for this game. Hopefully EA gets their heads out of their arses and rights the ship. Also i heard your city size is incredibly small, so thats saddening as well.

I was going to be getting this soon lol....

Thread Information