Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8.1

Default Windows 8.1

So apparently Microsoft is releasing Windows 8.1 later this year. It's a free upgrade to Win8. I don't think they've done a .1 since windows 3.1.

info: Windows 8.1 Preview - Microsoft Windows

Anyone here using Windows 8 as a main OS? After a few hours of Beta, I haven't really used it. I'll probably have to get it at work since more clients are upgrading to windows 8 and I have no idea how to guide them through certain things without googling.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

I have Windows 8 on one of my laptops that I use for school. It's pretty garbage to be honest, I rarely use the main screen where are the apps are located. I'll probably upgrade when it comes out, but not going to waste any time previewing it, I really have no reason to get familiar with windows 8.

I've been using it on my system at work. I actually really like win 8. The really dumb thing is they used the same interface on their server. 8.1 is supposed to bring back some form of start menu.

Totally forgot 8.1 was coming. Gonna be getting that downloaded to test right quick.
    Last edited by Ziek88; 06-26-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

I installed Windows 8 on my PC and swapped it out for Windows 7 within 2 days haha But from what I hear, 8.1 fixes everything that is wrong with 8.

Unfortunately I can't test 8.1 yet. They released yesterday but if you are a volume license/enterprise user you need the ISO file from Micro$oft which they have yet to release.

The major thing people don't like about 8 is the change to the start menu. From what I've read, although they say they are bringing it back, they are not. What they are actually doing is just adding an icon to where the start menu was and it still launches the same splash screen. I don't really hate the splash screen but I can imagine how a lot of people would. It's a cool option but that is really all it should be. An option.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

This looks like a great improvement. The only issue I've ever had with Win8 is not being able to resize an app that you've snapped to the desktop, but I could see myself using some of the other things too.

The only real "downside" to Windows 8 imo was the lack of start bar. I don't like the metro screen, but then again I never see it. Past that it's not much different than 7 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziek88 View Post
    Unfortunately I can't test 8.1 yet. They released yesterday but if you are a volume license/enterprise user you need the ISO file from Micro$oft which they have yet to release.

The major thing people don't like about 8 is the change to the start menu. From what I've read, although they say they are bringing it back, they are not. What they are actually doing is just adding an icon to where the start menu was and it still launches the same splash screen. I don't really hate the splash screen but I can imagine how a lot of people would. It's a cool option but that is really all it should be. An option.
    I think they already did that with windows server 2012, I installed it on my old pc just to try it out and maybe have a windows server at home and clicking on the bottom left hand side brings up the splash screen but I don't remember if there was an icon or just a clickable area. The server is currently turned off and stored away since I don't have any space to keep it on.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    I think they already did that with windows server 2012, I installed it on my old pc just to try it out and maybe have a windows server at home and clicking on the bottom left hand side brings up the splash screen but I don't remember if there was an icon or just a clickable area. The server is currently turned off and stored away since I don't have any space to keep it on.
    Should just be a clickable area at this point but who knows. The metro interface is great for touch devices but on a server? What is microsoft thinking haha.

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziek88 View Post
    Should just be a clickable area at this point but who knows. The metro interface is great for touch devices but on a server? What is microsoft thinking haha.
    Yeah I checked, it's just a clickable area like the bottom right hand side of Win7 which shows the desktop when clicked.

And I agree that the interface is completely unnecessary on a server. I originally installed it thinking that it wouldn't be like that but wasn't very surprised when I installed and saw it like that.

So I decided to use my 4th of july vacation to further test windows 8.1 If you are considering using 8.1 DON'T!

For the love of god don't. I cannot say enough, don't. Especially if you want to use Steam cause while it'll install and pretend to work. Try to play a game. You will not be happy.

THANKS!

Thread Information