Thread: Table Top Games

Default Table Top Games

On a whim I decided to lookup Mageknight, a table top game I played a pretty long time ago. Sadly, it eventually died out because they changed the rules alot and pretty much murdered a good thing. Anybody ever play the original version, and moreso, know of anything current that is similar? It was a fantastic game.

It is apparently being re-released but will undoubtedly flop again. Still using the remade rules and rather than having hundreds of pieces to build from they are releasing a 40ish. Clearly they have not learned.
    Last edited by Ziek88; 10-07-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

We play lots and lots of tabletops, but sadly I've never heard of this one. What does it play like?

Once upon a time it played awesome. it's 1v1 and you build point based armies. Each piece has a point value and a base that rotates showing it's stats. Each damage it takes is 1 click rotation of the base which reveals different stats or death. At the end of the game you total your points. You get points for what you have left alive and what you have killed. Generally games were 200 point games which meant moves per turn.

Obviously it was significantly more complex than that but what was cool was they had at least 500 different pieces and depending on your strategy and playstyle, all of them were viable. Every single one. Unfortunately they got the bright idea to rewrite the rules and it pretty much made every piece from prior sets no longer viable and introduced the overpowered pieces to the game which removed all the fun from the game. The are re-releasing based on the remade version rather than the original. Rather sad about this.

I used to have an army that was built with what was frequently considered one of the weakest pieces in the game. It was pretty much unstoppable in my state. New locations would laugh at it thinking it was a joke, until I managed to score 600 points in a 200 point game. Perfect score would be 400 . Thanks to necromancer's I got to kill my enemies more than once. Nothing more demoralizing than annihilating every piece your opponent has and still losing because they killed your army 3 times over before you did.
    Last edited by Ziek88; 10-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

Sounds really fun. There's a game called Castle Panic that is *slightly* similar gameplay-wise, albeit a little simpler. I think it's.... 4-6 players? You all work together to protect your castle walls. There are various monsters stationed outside the walls (and you draw more as you play) that move closer and closer to your walls. If they get to a wall, it's down. End of game is how many points based on how much of your castle is still standing. It's actually really hard to beat the game with your castle still totally in tact :P

I own armies in 40k, Warmachine, and the mechwarrior click style game.

Not familiar with Mageknight oddly. Is it mostly in the UK or something?
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

It was in the US. Your Mechwarrior clickstyle army might be Mageknight.

Pieces look like this?
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...chwarrior3.jpg

That base was the signature for all MK lines. The Mechwarrior was one of the later offshoot versions of the game.

THANKS!

Anyone into Maulifaux?

I'm not familiar with that one. Sadly I'm way out of the loop with tabletop. Slowly branching back in but I"m extremely picky about them and cheap so it's tricky to find a good one that I can actually get in to anymore.

THANKS!

Malifaux is really fun. It's very similar to Warhammer gameplay, yet so different. And it's affordable haha I loved Warhammer, but it was *so* expensive. In Malifaux you can get a complete basic army for about $20. Hell in WH just your commander was like $35-50 alone O_o The awesome thing is that the creators of Malifaux created a tabeltop RPG based off of Malifaux called Through the Breach. We've currently just finished up alpha testing it. I think there were 50 (people total, or groups total.. I can't remember) testers in the whole world. When the manual comes out my name will be mentioned in it!
    Last edited by Mizel; 12-16-2013 at 09:29 AM.

That's Awesome! Testing is pretty spiffy.

THANKS!

Thread Information