Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality | Polygon

Umwat???

Also stated that: "The PS4 will also not support external hard drives at launch." Which, eh... not really a big deal to me.

The lack of streaming though man, what's up with that?
    Last edited by Mizel; 10-31-2013 at 12:57 PM.

I've never really used this before, I think I tried it once with music, but my speakers for my PC are way better than the ones on my TV. By the looks of it, Xbox One wont support this either, so it's whatever. I don't see this being a big deal to the majority of people.

I use my PS3 to stream movies and shows every single day :/

And Microsoft hasn't given a definite yes or no answer to this yet. I have a feeling that since Sony already said they won't be supporting this (at launch at least), Microsoft probably end up supporting it as an attempt to have something that the PS4 doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizel View Post
    I use my PS3 to stream movies and shows every single day :/

And Microsoft hasn't given a definite yes or no answer to this yet. I have a feeling that since Sony already said they won't be supporting this (at launch at least), Microsoft probably end up supporting it as an attempt to have something that the PS4 doesn't.
    Me too. Do you use TVersity? I'm going to be waiting a bit before getting either system. It's like an election. Both parties keep saying this or that but until there is a final product, most of it is constantly changing information based on who they are talking to. At least in this case I can wait and see what they deliver before I make a choice.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziek88 View Post
    Me too. Do you use TVersity? I'm going to be waiting a bit before getting either system. It's like an election. Both parties keep saying this or that but until there is a final product, most of it is constantly changing information based on who they are talking to. At least in this case I can wait and see what they deliver before I make a choice.
    Haha Yea, it really is.

I used to use PS3 Media Server, but I tend to use Plex most of the time now. The only reason I don't use Plex all the time is because I don't have the DTS settings configured yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizel View Post
    Haha Yea, it really is.

I used to use PS3 Media Server, but I tend to use Plex most of the time now. The only reason I don't use Plex all the time is because I don't have the DTS settings configured yet.
    gotcha. You may want to give TVersity a try. I think it's version 1.9.7 or something. An older version used to be free and that's the one I use. Install, tell it to look at the folder I store my stuff in. Done. Setup couldn't be easier. Plex work on linux by chance? I had used PS3 Media Server a bit on a linux system I had a while back.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

Hmmm... I'm honestly not sure if Plex does work on Linux or not :/ Overall I like it better than PS3 MS.

Looks like the plex server software has some Linux versions. They have it for Ubuntu, Fedora and CentOS. Will probably work on any of their derivatives as well.

That's kinda wierd though

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

maybe it might be ps money problem?

Send me FR on Steam
    Imperial_Kade

I don't think it cost a lot to do. I have a smart TV that has DLNA and I didn't pay a lot for it at all. 42 inch 1080p, internet access, normal smart TV stuff for like 400 bucks. I think I also heard that PS4 doesn't support MP3 files. So I'd say it's Sony's way to force you into using their apps for music, which means spending more money.

I however think it's ironic. All the PS4 fanboys were making fun of the Xbox One for being a Media Center. Everyone was saying how they just want a gaming console. Well PS4 fanboy's, you got what you asked for, you indeed have just a gaming console.

That being said though, still no word on if Xbox One supports DLNA
    Last edited by Trunks; 11-06-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Thread Information