Default Routing myself into internet superiority

I'm in the market for a new or slightly used router, and i would like to know which ones to look at.

I want to spend around 50 bucks and i'm not above going onto Ebay to find it.

This is my situation. I have a PlayStation, an Xbox, a Laptop, a Desk Top, a Tablet, and three smart phones running off of my home internet.

The PlayStation, One smart phone, and the Desk Top are mine.

Currently my PS3 (soon to be 4) is in a dmz and i access the router through my desk top.
    What i want is maniacal control over the internet.

I want to be able to store every devices ip into the router so that i can choose what device gets priority, and easily be able to change priorities when my mood changes.

For instance I want my ps3 to have all have internet it wants when it is on and if my son gets on his tablet and my wife gets on her phone starts streaming you tube, they are the ones that get lag and my internet is not phased.
    But, say i get on the tablet and someone else is on a phone, i want to be able to "flip a switch" and the tablet receive priority. another cool thing would be if i could turn off the internet radio from my smartphone when people start pissing me off, so the only things with internet are the things wired directly in.

I think my current router can do this, but it looks really difficult, and what i'm looking for is something for laymen.

I will be happy when my family refers to me as the internet nazi and has to beg me for gigabits
    Any suggestions?

You could try using software like traffic limiter, though the downside to them is that they have to be on every system for it to work. I'd be surprised if you could find a router with those capabilities for under 50 dollars. I've never messed with any of this stuff, so I don't know a whole lot about it.

Unlikely you'll be able to find a router that does that for under $50 and the "flip a switch" part is even less so. You can set priorities in high quality routers but you won't be able to change those without logging in to the router and changing those. I suppose you could attempt writing a script but I'd imagine not all routers will be able to take that or at least make the changes fast.

A much easier solution is a better connection. Figure out where your bottleneck is and then upgrade it.

I can run a PS3, Xbox 360, 3 Laptops and a Desktop computer all at a fairly high internet usage without so much as a hiccup. I'm lucky now with a 50-60 mbs download and 10ish up but I've had 20 down 2-3 up in the past and was equally fine. Try going to Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and see what your speeds are. If they are decent you may just need a router with higher speed ports and wireless capability rather than messing with priority and that you could do for under $50.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

Ok, thank you.
    What would be a good router that can do these things no matter the price?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziek88 View Post
    you may just need a router with higher speed ports and wireless capability rather than messing with priority and that you could do for under $50.

What would be a router that you would suggest till i can save the money for the one i want?

Before buying a router you should test the things I mentioned and make sure that is actually the source of lag. It would be a shame to get a new router and find no improvement. Try that site I put there and see what your up/down speeds are. Do you know what your current routers port speeds are as well as the wireless speed?

A sidenote *Knowing people who do go and lock down their routers they always seem to end up having more issues.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

Thread Information