Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Good to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTD View Post
    You make a few excelent points. What you are saying is true, people do connect more online and forums are declining.But does not spell doom for forums. Most of that actually works to our advantage in several ways if we think about it:

-There are more people online than ever, who like social media.
    -There are more ways to get online and stay connected (phones, tables, computers even in game browsers)
    -most social media (like facebook) keeps you in touch with friends, but there are few places better than a forum to meet new people with similar interests.

Facebook is more of a continuous wall of images and "make me feel better" mood updates. What a forum can offer is much more interesting environment in several ways.

What everyone is saying about having a welcoming and friendly community is true. We need to create a place where people can talk about common interests on a deeper level, and a place that is consciously aware that it needs to be welcoming. And also as a forum those members that make up its core need to go out of their way to express interest in what others are posting if they can.

Forums are struggling, but if we worked at it there is no reason we could not take off in a big way.
    I was more referring to the fact that Facebook pages and groups sort of fill the void that forums used to. It's easier to find these groups and easier to connect with multiple people. You also don't have to go through the hassle of registering. It's not the same, but because of that I feel a lot of people don't need forums. I'm sure there are more active forums than I realize, I just never go looking for them, so I don't see them.

I feel like we just need to have more incentive for people to join. I wish there were more active game reviewers. I know i'm a game reviewer on here but I hardly come to the forum as it is and I don't really play that many games anymore. However, now that i'm done with college (for now) I might have time to do a review or two here or there. I have some games i'm almost done with/currently working through/about to start, so I can throw together a quick review of them. If we could get a dedicated team of people to review new games as they come out, maybe people would enjoy that? I don't even know if that would work well, just a thought.

I think we should have a Facebook page that posts frequently for sure. We just have to figure out the right kind of content. Memes always go over well on Facebook, so gaming memes might get us some attention. Then we'd just include a link to the forum on every pic we post. It could work.

Gaming memes would help with exposure but I dont think that is a solution because there is just a constant information overload online. If we try to appeal to something like game humor with images we have way to much competition.

I wont discourage you from an an attempt at that, but I cant really see any benefit in making it a focus on the forum.

On the other hand good conversation with others on a wide range of topics, is not something a facebook group can fulfill. Do you know how often I see people with similar interests on a facebook group but actually know nothing about them other than that they are in that group? And how awkward would it be if I tried to ask complete strangers like the guys on the mass effect facebook page if they have read any good books? It would probably be removed as spam.

Here I get to ask you if you like any good books and then can compare them to your other interests. Or anime, or games or just about anything. And if you answer twilight and then recommend the movies Im going to laugh at you, but at least I understand you liked the books and that's why you watched the movies.

Even if Twilight is a terrible example you get the idea. Forums are a much broader medium for what is essentially conversation. Not status updates.

----------------------------

Also wanted to thank Linus for taking my format idea and updating to forum. I talked with him a bit and we brain stormed, but what he is doing right now looks like a good improvement on the original idea. Also I should thank the mods for helping with with such a large project.
    Last edited by BobTD; 01-05-2014 at 06:37 AM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Ok let's come back to this we need to publicize! Anyone know any good places that we can say like

Go to gamers-forum.com to talk about the latest games, hardware, and general gaming news!

Send me FR on Steam
    Imperial_Kade

I say we actually get some moderators to play with us so we can video the gameplay and get GF on YouTube!!!!!

Who has fraps?

Send me FR on Steam
    Imperial_Kade

You do don't you?

*streeeeeeeeeeetch*
    Welp, I'll tell yah this.. If this forum is going to get back to anything like it was, I feel like Linux is gonna need a bit of a team. Every time I've come back here there's still the same bugs, looks wise it needs a bit of an overhaul, and it's too big!
    The game reviews is a good way to have content that is unique to GF, but Blogs seem to be a bit redundant. As popular as the arcade used to be, I feel like it needs to be dialed down, perhaps selecting a nice handful of the more popular and well put together games and removing the rest? There's just too much going on all over the place, and you can easily feel quite lost or claustrophobic here.
    Share buttons for easier social integration with twitter and facebook would be nice. A facebook page would be good for big announcements, reminding people when they go on facebook that there is indeed still stuff going on.
    I also feel like there's currently not much need for most sub forums, but an easier way to keep track of your favourite game might be to have the search bar return results with the subject in the title, instead of in any post by default.
    For example I searched starcraft and got back 8 pages of threads, including the "call of duty vs BF3" thread.

Don't mind my mess of suggestions, just came by and thought I'd give a cent or two.
    I'm interested in coming back, but probably not until some changes start happening.
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Quote Originally Posted by LemonRising View Post
    *streeeeeeeeeeetch*
    Welp, I'll tell yah this.. If this forum is going to get back to anything like it was, I feel like Linux is gonna need a bit of a team. Every time I've come back here there's still the same bugs, looks wise it needs a bit of an overhaul, and it's too big!
    The game reviews is a good way to have content that is unique to GF, but Blogs seem to be a bit redundant. As popular as the arcade used to be, I feel like it needs to be dialed down, perhaps selecting a nice handful of the more popular and well put together games and removing the rest? There's just too much going on all over the place, and you can easily feel quite lost or claustrophobic here.
    Share buttons for easier social integration with twitter and facebook would be nice. A facebook page would be good for big announcements, reminding people when they go on facebook that there is indeed still stuff going on.
    I also feel like there's currently not much need for most sub forums, but an easier way to keep track of your favourite game might be to have the search bar return results with the subject in the title, instead of in any post by default.
    For example I searched starcraft and got back 8 pages of threads, including the "call of duty vs BF3" thread.

Don't mind my mess of suggestions, just came by and thought I'd give a cent or two.
    I'm interested in coming back, but probably not until some changes start happening.
    I fullhardly agree, there are many glitches left, for example when trying to choose font or size its almost impossible to see what it stands.

I know Linux is busy but there are so many things that needs to be done here
    Last edited by paecmaker; 02-01-2014 at 08:12 AM.

I'm planning on upgrading the forum to the latest vB 4, I just have to find some time to do it, unfortunately I need to put several days aside to do it because of all the cleanup that needs to be done, but to avoid that I actually contacted a few design companies already to see if we can get a custom layout for the site.

I do plan on bringing this forum back to the way it was, just will take some time.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Thread Information