Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon X and Y

Default Pokemon X and Y

honestly I played pokemon Y for 12 hours today, it is the most fun I have had playing pokemon since first and second gen, they did this one right. First I want to point out that there are a ton of first gen pokemon appearing and I havent finished the 2nd gym, but I have already collected pigy, pikachu, caterpie, weedle, onyx, arodactil, cubone and psyduck. Golduck and cubone being 2 of my all time favorits.

Second thing they did right: Effort value points. "EV" points used to be a hidden stat that got boosted for fighting wild pokemon. You have to kill 150 of this and 200 of that in order to max the stats you wanted at the right levels to play competitively. It was a lot of grind. Now efort values are controlled by training mini games and can be reset with certain "punching bags". If I want to put all my stats into speed and sp attack I can, so it doesnt matter what lvl you get a pokemon at or what you fight to lvl it anymore. Essentially making a lot more pokemon usable competitively.

Trading: traniner show up by proximity, to you locally, so if Im not online looking for a trade I can trade people in wifi distance at any time. I dont have to be at a pc or mart, any I can still trade pokemon from my boxes. Finally trading is easy.

breeding is also essentially fixed from what I hear, but Im not an expert on breeding so I just take peoples word on it.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

I really enjoyed Black and White, it was probably my favorite of all time. Mainly because that's when I learned how to eV train and with the power items and pokerus, instead o killing 150 you only need like 40 which was nice. But yeah pokemon Y is definitely my new favorite, I haven't played it in awhile, but I beat it in about 2 days. Definitely a huge improvement into the series.

Breeding is awesome now with the addition of the Friend Safari where every Pokemon has 2-3 stats with 31 IV's. Giving a Pokemon with the Destiny Knot will transfer these IV's to the Pokemon you breed. So it's really easy to breed, say, a Modest Abra with 31 special attack and speed IV's.

Another cool thing is, all legendaries have 3 perfect IV's for their primary stats, like Xerneas for example. He comes with 31 special attack, attack, and speed IV's. And this goes the same for Pokemon you receive from in game trades and these Pokemon also come with the best nature, like my Adamant Bisharp that has 31 attack and speed IV's.
    Last edited by xLykos; 12-30-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Shout out to Eggs for the awesome signature

i need to do some more reading on IV's, I assume those are initial values or something, so that you can max that stat out and still put leftovers somewhere else. Since I never got into eV training or breeding Im not sure on how the max value system works. If I breed a pokemon with 5 perfect IVs I dont want to be confined to a set of the most overpowered pokemon.

does a pokemon at lvl 100 with 5 perfect IV's and one stat at 0 look the same as any other pokemon at lvl 100 witht eh same IV values? Or is there a huge power difference between them all even at near perfect stats. I like the idea of a smaller bridge to gap so that there is more emphasis on abilities, types, natures and game strategy.

Basically what Im worried about is seeing the same pokemon used consistantly online because they are absurdly stronger than anything else.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

There's a pretty noticeable difference. IV stands for individual values and they're prerendered on the Pokemon so you can't change them. They also effect what Hidden Power your Pokemon will have.

Quote Originally Posted by xLykos View Post
    There's a pretty noticeable difference. IV stands for individual values and they're prerendered on the Pokemon so you can't change them. They also effect what Hidden Power your Pokemon will have.
    you can change the IVs through breeding, IVs can be handed down from parents who share an egg group. So if ninjask has a perfect speed IV you can breed it with any other pokemon of the egg group and have a chance of passing that IV to another species suck as wheedle. But that's not what Im asking.

After going from lvl 1 to lvl 100 you gain stat points, some pokemon gain more than others. If their is a cieling that most dont pass unless you have perfect IVs then it levels off. If one pokemon gains 100 more points in speed than any other pokemon reaching lvl 100 than if breed properly there is nothing that will be faster.

I guess I should just look this up on a guide or buy a strategy guide so I can see what stats look like maxed.
    Last edited by BobTD; 12-31-2013 at 07:48 PM.

You're not making any sense so I guess you better should lol

IVs: Individual values - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

IV Breeding: Guide to breeding pokemon with Perfect or near-Perfect IVs - Pokemon X Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs

I think I can figure out my questuions playing with this stat calculator:

http://www.marriland.com/tools/stat-...0|31|31|31|31|

I am developing a long term team to breed towards, but this is what I have so far:

Alakazam
    SPECIAL SWEEPER

Item -Life Orb, Trait -Magic Guard
    (life orb is +30% damage with the life hit canceled by magic gaurd)
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 hp / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

Energy Ball
    Psyshock
    Shadow Ball
    Hidden Power [Fire]

Garchomp
    PHYSICAL SWEEPER
    Item -scarf?
    Last edited by BobTD; 01-01-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Hmm.. interesting. I think I might have to pick this up later on this year. Still occupied with fire emblem awakening.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTD View Post
    IVs: Individual values - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

IV Breeding: Guide to breeding pokemon with Perfect or near-Perfect IVs - Pokemon X Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs

I think I can figure out my questuions playing with this stat calculator:

I am developing a long term team to breed towards, but this is what I have so far:

Alakazam
    SPECIAL SWEEPER

Item -Life Orb, Trait -Magic Guard
    (life orb is +30% damage with the life hit canceled by magic gaurd)
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 hp / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

Energy Ball
    Psyshock
    Shadow Ball
    Hidden Power [Fire]

Garchomp
    PHYSICAL SWEEPER
    Item -scarf?
    Garchomp doesn't really need a scarf. He's already quick and has such a good move pool it wouldn't be that efficient to lock him into one move. I would either mega evolve him or give him a Yache berry. Then I'd run something along the lines of:
    Swords Dance
    Outrage/Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

Thread Information