Default League hacked Gamer Arrested

Hackers hit League of Legends game BBC News - Hackers knock League of Legends offline

Long story short, the hacking caused fake hostage reports leading to pro gamer PhantomL0rd being arrested in his house. He was released once the mess was further sorted.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

This happened with another game a while back right? I Can't remember which game.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

battle.net went down for a while as well. That affected every blizzard game pretty much, only wow was up because I think hearthfire used battle.net.

Hackers Claim Takedown Of Battle.net, League Of Legends, EA [UPDATE]
    Last edited by BobTD; 01-01-2014 at 03:26 AM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

I always think it's cool if a hacker manages to do something to a huge company, I mean honestly how many people have the capability of shutting down one of the worlds biggest games. Pretty crazy, and according to the article, no information was taken so it was more of a fun thing than a theft. Other than getting that pro gamer arrested lol.

Apparently the same group DERP took down PSN on accident while trying to crash PlanetSide 2 servers.

Article: DERP Hacker Group Takes Down PSN, DCUO, After Targeting PlanetSide 2 - PlayStation LifeStyle

Odd how PSN is always getting hacked, I don't think Xbox Live was ever taken down by hackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    Apparently the same group DERP took down PSN on accident while trying to crash PlanetSide 2 servers.

Article: DERP Hacker Group Takes Down PSN, DCUO, After Targeting PlanetSide 2 - PlayStation LifeStyle

Odd how PSN is always getting hacked, I don't think Xbox Live was ever taken down by hackers.
    Not that I recall. Probably because They take themselves down. Why bother? Haha. Thinking back to a few years ago when it was down for like a month and they were just like "well you all agreed to the service rules so not our problem." PSN on the other hand was down and gave free games and apologized for interruption of a free service.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

I don't remember Xbox Live ever being down a month lol, I remember them being down a weekend once for "maintenance" and maybe a couple days out of the year for the same thing, but that's about it. Also, with psn being f2p I understood why it was always getting hacked. They didn't get as much money coming in to upgrade and keep its security up like Xbox did. I thought now since PSN is P2P it would be a little difficult to hack, I just found it funny that DERP wasn't even trying to take down PSN servers just planetside 2. At least no credit card information was taken this time, DERP only seems to just want to crash things instead of steal information.

Xbox Lives outage was more or less bad planning and capacity issues. Christmas 2007 they were completely out for a week and like 95% out for the better part of a month. The massive influx of gamers over the holiday was more than there servers could handle. I agree it makes sense why the free ones crash more often and get hacked more than xbox live. I would imagine PSN will get more secure but there isn't a system in the world that can't be hacked.

Yea this DERP group seems to be doing it for bragging rights and the challenge. Reading up on these articles is making me miss my "ethical" hacking class in college. Was probably the best class I've ever had. The professor was an ex-penetration tester for government. Almost enough to make me stop being lazy and actually get back in to those studies.

THANKS!

Oh I remember that now, it was right when I got my xbox, I was kinda disappointed. It was like 2 weeks, but they weren't completey down, just a lot of crashes and some things not working. For the most part you could still play online most of the time. It was like you said, xbox wasn't ready for the massive amounts of people. Something that PS4 is having issues with now.

Thread Information