Default Linux and Putty question

I've encountered an issue using putty to connect remotely with my Linux server. It connects fine and I'm able to start up my minecraft server, but if I close out of putty, the minecraft server also closes. Is there a way to keep the minecraft server running once I close putty. Kind of an issue because I don't want to have to run my PC constantly as well as my linux server.

Anyway to open a server in putty and close out of puppy and have the server still open?

You can use either nohup or screen. I used to use Nohup when I ran the GF Game Servers from my home machine years ago.

This post shows the syntax of using nohup: jobs - How to use unix command nohup without nohup.out - Stack Overflow

Info on screen: GNU Screen - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

I haven't used screen as much though. And haven't used either methods recently. I haven't run any game servers on machines I manage in a long time.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Yeah, that stuff looks way over my head. I just started messing with a Linux OS like 2 days ago. So I barely know anything, basically all I know how to do is get a static IP and create, delete and move directories plus download files. That's really about it.

Yesterday I tried mounting a USB drive to get a file off of it and I for some reason wasn't able to do that. So yeah, I'm definitely at beginner level.
    Nohup looks a little to advanced for me atm.

What command are you running to turn on the game server?

Just put 'nohup' in front and '>/dev/null 2>&1' at the end. So for example, when i run php commands, it would look something like:

Code:
    nohup php /home/dir/subdir/home.php >/dev/null 2>&1
    don't think of me as an expert, I google everything at one point to learn.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

I don't use >/dev/null 2>&1

For minecraft I just use

Code:
    java -Xmx3G -Xms3G -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
    It's just ran with java, I'm sure it's different running something else; should I be using a difference command to start it?

so should I use

Code:
    nohup java -Xmx3G -Xms3G -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui >/dev/null 2>&1
    and I expected you to be an expert because your name is Linux
    Last edited by Trunks; 01-11-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Yup, that should work.

And I have approximate knowledge about many things (quote from adventure time I believe). I don't consider myself an expert at anything, besides breathing oxygen and eating chocolate.

Give teamviewer a try. It has a lot of different setup methods but they are all pretty easy. I have my server setup with it and it auto logs in when they system starts. Then I can access it from any other computer as long as I have teamviewer there as well. I've been using it for a couple years now. Free and easy. I have used it on linux but it's been awhile. I remember it working just fine.

*edit*
    Make sure to change the setting about "lock system at end of remote session" or something to that effect. You want to turn that off.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    Yup, that should work.

And I have approximate knowledge about many things (quote from adventure time I believe). I don't consider myself an expert at anything, besides breathing oxygen and eating chocolate.
    Thanks, everything seems to be working fine, kinda disappointed that I can't see server logs unless I close the server and open the file, but all well.

One more question, is there a way to change my External IP for just my Server? I tried goggling, but couldn't find anything, or is proxying really the only way?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziek88 View Post
    Give teamviewer a try. It has a lot of different setup methods but they are all pretty easy. I have my server setup with it and it auto logs in when they system starts. Then I can access it from any other computer as long as I have teamviewer there as well. I've been using it for a couple years now. Free and easy. I have used it on linux but it's been awhile. I remember it working just fine.

*edit*
    Make sure to change the setting about "lock system at end of remote session" or something to that effect. You want to turn that off.
    From what I read about team viewer, it's a lot slower. I'm using Ubuntu server so everything is text based, I don't have a desktop. Already bad enough I'm using a laptop as a server so I'd like to keep my server using the least amount of resources possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    Thanks, everything seems to be working fine, kinda disappointed that I can't see server logs unless I close the server and open the file, but all well.

One more question, is there a way to change my External IP for just my Server? I tried goggling, but couldn't find anything, or is proxying really the only way?
    Is this a home machine? If you're on a home network, then your ISP probably just gave you one IP address, in that case, you can't really change it. But if you own an IP somewhere, you can set up an 'a-record' and basically point to your current IP. It's easier than I make it sound and pretty much what I do. 'A-records' are domain based, meaning i can setup something like game.gamers-forum.com to point to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and people will use it as game.gamers-forum.com.

Now if you have multiple external IPs from your ISP, then it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post

From what I read about team viewer, it's a lot slower. I'm using Ubuntu server so everything is text based, I don't have a desktop. Already bad enough I'm using a laptop as a server so I'd like to keep my server using the least amount of resources possible.
    I forgot the server doesn't have a preinstalled GUI. That wouldn't be great. Teamviewer has been pretty darn fast for me but I'm pretty sure it requires a GUI so that wouldn't work anyway.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

Thread Information