Default I think I'm done with EA

I think as thinking reasoning human beings we occasionally have to take a stand on certain issues. Not over reacting is a good thing as well, so sometimes you let most things slide. But when is the last time you really took a firm stand against something or someone that has been dealing you ****? Probably not often enough.

That's why I have decided Im drawing the line with EA. It has had to much slack for to long. There is a reason that as a company it get so much flak.

We are talking about some of the most disappointing events in video game history, like the ending to Mass Effect 3 (including its controversial day 1 DLC "From ashes" that should have been shipped with the game) The horrendous DRM and online only content of Sim city 4. Basic decent business practices.

What recently pushed me over the edge was a kickstarter I was following:

Mercs Minis changes Myth board game logo after receiving EA cease-and-desist | Polygon

Thats right, EA appears to have "legal rights to the use of flames on letters, numbers, and symbols." According to Mercs Minis' lawyer, a court might decide that brand confusion could result because of the "close proximity" between board games and video games.

So that cool name had to be changed because EA feels it should have exclusive rights to basic symbols like fire itself. Just, just screw them. Their list of BS stretches to far to list in a single thread.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Remember that the ending to mass effect 3 wasnt really EAs fault(and I personally didnt think it was "that" bad)

And even if I dont really like EA their games library is just to big for me to boycot them as many of my favourite games/series are released by them.

And truth is I havent had that many problems with Origin(However I hated the **** known as games for windows live) as Ive had with uplay, and battlelog is actually very good.

EA is a big corporation but they are no different from Ubisoft for example.
    Last edited by paecmaker; 01-19-2014 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paecmaker View Post
    the ending to mass effect 3 wasnt really EAs fault
    That is highly debatable. It was admitted that EA had more of a hand in ME3 than ME2. And the direction the ME series after being acquired by EA,because lets face it ME1 does not have a lot in common with ME3. EA did set the budget and the release dates, and decide on day one DLC. So when you have people telling you no you cant have more money or more time to finish your game and it comes out like crap, that seems like its partly EA's fault.

There is a long and obvious trail of EA acquiring projects followed by a sharp drop in quality.

You did notice they pushed BF4 out before ghosts right? Did you enjoy a stable and mostly bug free game launch with battlefield 4? Probably not. Oh and lets not forget their favorite marketing strategy "micro transactions":

Dead Space 3 microtransaction/DLC prices revealed - Destructoid
    Last edited by BobTD; 01-19-2014 at 08:49 AM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Quote Originally Posted by BobTD View Post
    That is highly debatable. It was admitted that EA had more of a hand in ME3 than ME2. And the direction the ME series after being acquired by EA,because lets face it ME1 does not have a lot in common with ME3. EA did set the budget and the release dates, and decide on day one DLC. So when you have people telling you no you cant have more money or more time to finish your game and it comes out like crap, that seems like its partly EA's fault.

There is a long and obvious trail of EA acquiring projects followed by a sharp drop in quality.

You did notice they pushed BF4 out before ghosts right? Did you enjoy a stable and mostly bug free game launch with battlefield 4? Probably not. Oh and lets not forget their favorite marketing strategy "micro transactions":

Dead Space 3 microtransaction/DLC prices revealed - Destructoid
    Now EA is not the only publisher that uses microtransactions, all big companies does that with more or less outrageous prices(sadly). edit: all but valve .
    . When it comes to day one dlc I am definitly with you, they should either be in vanilla or not at all(however later dlc are fine).

Even though I have never played bf4 I agree on this one. EA are greedy, they are like any other international corporations, the people that run EA are not gamers but the same people that run other major corporations and they only care about money. While I see your point to boycot it I would just boycot different games until they are fine, like bf4 and sim city. After they are fixed I see no reason to boycot anymore, the games are fixed, I buy them and have a good time. And I give them another chance to release good games in the future, if the same happens I just dont get that game until its fixed.

A question, lets say you do your boycot and promise to never buy a single ea game. Suddenly they release(say star wars battlefront 3) and they have done everything right this time. The game is not stressed but released when mostly done and only with minor glitches, the game uses battlelog(released on steam and origin) and it works great. There are many well thought out maps and a whole bunch of weapons and vehicles. The servers are handling everything just fine and later dlc looks well filled with many weapons/vehicles and maps.

Would you buy it(if you were interested in it)?

About Me3 I actually thought it was the best ME, the combat felt smoother and personally I always thought that many things in me1 was only halfhearted, they tried to keep it like an rpg and a tps but failed at both. The inventory was just a place to hoard identical stuff that you picked up all the time, the combat felt smoother in the 3rd and while the mako was fun to drive the open planets were oh so boring.

And while I have heard a lot of hate about the ending the worst thing is that they released the longer one. The ending in mass effect 3 could have gone to history as the most daring one ever if they only had kept the old one and hinting on the indoctrination theory, then they could reveal the "true" ending(aka that shephard was indoctrinated) when the next mass effect is released and BOOM, the most shocking ending in video game history.

But thats just my personal feelings.

This became longer than I had thought.

ALSO ONE THING.

I NEVER buy a game on release(except a few)I also try to remain as neutral as possible and dont let myself on the hype-train, that way I dont get as dissapointed if the game is worse than everyone thought. I wait for reviews, patches and in some cases even mods before I get a game(Like sim city, they are scrapping the always online drm and even grant mod support).
    Last edited by paecmaker; 01-19-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Hmm looks like EA is getting pretty desperate I played alot of EA's games like the old Medal of Honor and liked them but secret advertising? Really?

Electronic Arts Also Paid YouTubers for Secret Advertising
    Last edited by Imperial_Kade; 01-22-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Send me FR on Steam
    Imperial_Kade

Quote Originally Posted by paecmaker View Post
    A question, lets say you do your boycot and promise to never buy a single ea game. Suddenly they release(say star wars battlefront 3) and they have done everything right this time. The game is not stressed but released when mostly done and only with minor glitches, the game uses battlelog(released on steam and origin) and it works great. There are many well thought out maps and a whole bunch of weapons and vehicles. The servers are handling everything just fine and later dlc looks well filled with many weapons/vehicles and maps.

Would you buy it(if you were interested in it)?
    If they redeemed themselves with quality content on a major title, and everyone who got it on release seemed to have had a good launch experience, then I would really be blown away. In that case I would probably give them another chance because I would be really impressed, but I really dont see something like that happening.

Its for more common for a game like this to launch with server problems because they only wanted to pay for enough servers to run the game on average, without taking into account the launch. It is also a lot more common for these games to be filled with bugs and game crashes because it is cheaper to not do bug fixing and let the pre order fans find the bugs for you to patch later.

Its pretty much been the same BS from a lot of companies. But if EA actually turned that around then of course I would give them another chance. But I think that has the same odds as a snowball in hell.
    Last edited by BobTD; 01-22-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Thread Information