Default Google's Public DNS

The internet revolves around DNS (Domain Name System/Server). The other day, I started having major issues loading web pages, but my internet was 'fine.' I blamed my router for days, I even went back to my old Linksys and that didn't even work. Until yesterday, I haven't realized that only some websites worked while others didn't. So I thought may my ISP's (Time Warner Cable) DNS was being screwy. So I looked up a few public DNS IP Addresses and I remembered that Google offers their system for free here: Public DNS Google Developers

The IPs are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Since I switched my DNS, my internet has been working like a charm. I was going crazy the past week because I haven't been able to do much of what I wanted online. I am trusting that Google will be better at keeping their DNS working because this isn't the first time TWC messed up on me, happened a few months ago but fixed itself and I couldn't figure out why.

They have configuration instructions here for those interested: Using Google Public DNS - Public DNS Google Developers
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

I've been using Google as my DNS on my Linux Server, all seems to be working good since I've had it for 2 or 3 months or so now.

I'm curious though, I don't know a lot about networking, but I've been having issues with sudden link quite a lot over the past 3 or 4 years. I wonder if it's a DNS issue. IF I change the settings on my PC, I'll be the only one using googles DNS correct? Would be a good way to test if it's the DNS or just sudden link being crappy like always.

Good find. I've got a friend who I'm pretty sure has Time Warner and similar issues. Will have to pass this along.

Check out my league of legends clips on YouTube. If you are thinking about starting LoL, please use my referral link to make your account.
    THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    I've been using Google as my DNS on my Linux Server, all seems to be working good since I've had it for 2 or 3 months or so now.

I'm curious though, I don't know a lot about networking, but I've been having issues with sudden link quite a lot over the past 3 or 4 years. I wonder if it's a DNS issue. IF I change the settings on my PC, I'll be the only one using googles DNS correct? Would be a good way to test if it's the DNS or just sudden link being crappy like always.
    Yeah if you change the settings, it'll only use their IPs, I changed it on all my machines at home, PC, laptop, router, I wonder if there is a way to do it on my tablet because I know it has the same issue, I just forgot about it. I'm sure I can set manual settings on the android, gonna check when I get home tonight.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Thread Information