Thread: What now?

Default What now?

I'm in a position where I'm about to start from the beginning. I want to sink myself into a really good, mmorpg. I would like something for the ps4 but pc is fine too. I'm looking for a fairly new mmorpg that's highly populated, and that has a really good pvp culture. I don't care if it's ftp or subscription. I would like for it to be new because i dont want to be too far behind everyone. I just got divorced, got a new apartment and I would just like to sink myself into a fantasy world and meet some new friends. I enjoyed WoW but it's too old, i enjoyed Warhammer online but it wasn't populated enough, i enjoyed Starwars galxies and ultima but i came in way too late on both of those. What do you guys recommend?

For PS4 all you've really got is DC Universe (pretty meh, F2P) and Final Fantasy XIV. It's a fantastic game, and you can play either controller or mouse and keyboard! You could also grab it on PC and actually just switch between them, all characters saved to the same account, and play either depending on your mood. You can play every class on the same character by levelling them up and just switching a weapon on the go after level 15! Very neat. Subscription game, $14.99/mo.

On PC I'd recommend Wildstar. I haven't had much time to play but it's a ton of fun. It adds a fresh take to the tab target MMO by using action style combat, supported by "Telegraphs" or basically you can see where your own skills will land as well as enemies! Tons of sass and hilarity in the dialog (levelling up and hearing "OH SH** YOU'RE KICKING ASS!" is great. About the same price of a subscription, although you can actually purchase game time using the in game currency as well! Cool system.

RIFT is a ton of fun. There's 4 main classes, each with 11(I think!) specializations that all play radically different. Tank mage? Cool! Healer warrior? Why not! F2P with in game cash shop for cosmetics/mounts. I like to think of it as "free WoW" but, after 8 years of WoW on and off, it holds my attention more.

TERA:Rising is my go to to suggest. I don't play nearly as much anymore but it's so much fun. Skill based action combat, with GvG, open world PvP, and a ton of stuff to do! The company that runs the game En Masse Entertainment is one of the best I've ever dealt with for customer support issues. They're VERY in touch with their community both on their website, and fan sites/subreddit. The PvP gets repetitive, and it's fairly easy to get geared for end game content (Think 2-3 hours a day for a month compared to WoW, with 3-5 hours a day for a month at the start of an expac.) It's free as well, with a cash shop for EXP/rep boosts (not gamebreaking don't worry!) mounts and outfits. One of the better F2P games out there.

Honorable mentions go to Neverwinter, DungeonFighterOnline, SMITE, SWTOR which are all F2P. Oh, and Guild Wars 2. I wasn't into that one very much, but I know others who really like it. Buy once, play forever!

Hope that helped

Thanks ROFLBRYCE, That was very informative. Two games here looked right up my ally. Tera and Neverwinter. Tera looks more detailed and complexed, but it's two years old and I'm afraid I would be playing catch up. However, neverwinter seems somewhat lacking in the classes and even though I would be getting in on the ground floor it could flop. But I really like the look of neverwinter, and am already familiar with the lore. Can anyone testify to the validity of these statements?

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Oh, and what game has more players currently, Rift or Tera?
    Last edited by Kalgalath; 07-04-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Honestly, TERA isn't much of a catch up game. They've released 4 tiers of new weapons/armors I believe? But they tone down older content so you're not going 1->2->3->4 anymore, you're just going 3->4. TERA did come out 2 years ago, but they launched as free to play early last year. They add new content semi-regularly, the most recent being a new class. The hardest part is hitting max level! edit: Also, if you just want to get to end game, the new Reaper class (playable by Elin race only) requires you to have a level 40 character to make, but starts at level 55 so you can skip 15 levels, the tutorial takes you to 58/59, and you're getting geared for end game!

Unfortunately, I don't have much info on Neverwinter

TERA claims to be the #1 F2P MMO in ranks of playerbase. You have to remember though, there are multiple servers for each game. So if one game had 1 thousand players and one had 10 thousand, if each server only holds 500 you won't see a difference. Both have very active end game content, so there's no worry in finding groups for end game dungeons and PvP. My suggestion would be to download both! Play Rift up to about level 20-ish, and TERA till about 25. Try two different classes even! You'll find which game you like more, or if you're like me, play both on and off.
    Last edited by ROFLBRYCE; 07-05-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Very helpfull, thanks! Now off to newegg to build my new gaming system

Personally I really like the secret world but its a bit special.

First you dont pick a class but your skills totally depends on what weapons you plan to use, you can equip two weapons so you can use skills from two trees at the same time. What I love most about the game is the very special setting, the game is set in a mix of the real world and "the secret world"

Quote Originally Posted by Kalgalath View Post
    Very helpfull, thanks! Now off to newegg to build my new gaming system
    One more suggestion on this, try pcpartpicker! It compares lowest pricing with other sites, so you might have to go from 5-6 sources but it'll be cheaper! Also points out any rebates/deals on items you're interested in
    Quote Originally Posted by paecmaker View Post
    Personally I really like the secret world but its a bit special.

First you dont pick a class but your skills totally depends on what weapons you plan to use, you can equip two weapons so you can use skills from two trees at the same time. What I love most about the game is the very special setting, the game is set in a mix of the real world and "the secret world"
    I might have to check this one out, I haven't heard of it before!

Prompt pirate role-playing game?

Ugh, don't waste your time with Neverwinter. It's turrible. It was fun when it came out.... for about 20 minutes. There is no end content, they are no longer working on it, there is virtually no community left.

I highly recommend Wildstar, Rift and Tera. Tera and Rift are free to play, Wildstar has a monthly sub (but it absolutely worth it).

Or, you could get an Asheron's Call lifelong subscription for $10 :P

Thread Information