Unhappy Improving performance on Defiance for PC

I know that my system is dated, but I would rather save money and get a new rig altogether, rather than blow it all on meager upgrades; so please refrain from flapping your big i-7 genitalia all over the thread. For now, I am stuck with a six-year-old:

Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 GHz
    4GB RAM
    Geforce GTS 250 1GB GDDR3
    64-bit Windows 7

Despite being annoyed at games being needlessly demanding, I have managed to cope with this dated configuration for quite some time. Hence I was terribly frustrated when trying out Defiance, which is unplayable due to horrible performance.

I run it at low settings; everything turned off; and 1240x768 at -20 to about 60 fps. The average, however, is not the logical 40, but an annoying 25 frames per second. And as if the unstable framerate is not enough, the game throws random (yes, random; it doesn’t matter if I’m in the midst of open-range combat or a deserted, tight corridors) stutters which feel like mini-freezes.

To add insult to injury, it doesn’t matter if I’m playing at 1080p, 1065p, 900p, 720p, 768p etc. It runs like ass regardless of resolution.

Now I don’t mean to reflect upon glory days, but I’m pretty sure Defiance couldn’t hold up a candle to most games I’ve played in regards to visual fidelity. It is a 2013 game; I’ve played Batman: Arkham Origins, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon; and State of Decay in 2013, at medium-low settings (while keeping textures high and resolution up at 1080p or 900p), while still maintaining a stable 30+ fps.

Why is it so then, that Defiance runs this bad?
    My specs are equal to what is recommended, save for the CPU. So could the CPU be causing all the trouble? – It didn’t for AO and BD.
    Or is it connection issues?

Is there a way to fix it – furthermore is there an ini file or something I could edit?
    The game is so fun I wouldn’t mind removing all the foliage, particles and similar unnecessary details/effects. I’m needy enough to be playing at 768p. To be honest I could probably run Max Payne 3 at that resolution and still get a smoother performance.

Thanks in advance

I think the biggest issue is optimization. Tons of games run in to the issue. The game could run better on less powerful hardware in some instances, or in your case, they might not have done a great job optimizing. You do have an older GPU and CPU which could be the issue.

You do beat out the minimum spec requirements, but unfortunately, there is no standard "minimum requirement." To the company that made the game, their standard of minimum could mean 480p@10FPS all settings lowest, or it could mean 1440p40FPS. It's kind of a pain in the butt when looking at requirements that there isn't a defined minimum requirement.

I'd suggest grabbing an i5-4670k and a GTX 970 whenever you are able to. It is quite a costly upgrade but you'd be beyond set for the next few years. I'm running a GTX760 with that CPU and still able to push 50-60FPS on newer games at high-very high settings in 1080p.

I think you might just be SOL on this one though if it's an optimization issue, friend.

Faaahrk. And it was just so damn alluring. I mean, it's not every day that you stumble across an MMORPG that plays like a TPS. Furthermore, one that isn't set in a fantasy WoW-ish universe.
    Got cast out from AAAs, now can't even access F2Ps.
    And what kind of a game doesn't have an editable configuration file? This is the first time I run across such a miniscule flaw.

Aw man, that rig sounds so alluring. Yeah, my price range would be about $700, but the **** thing is that I have trouble getting over the guilt of buying a $700 toy. So whenever something pops up, I reach for the elusive "New-PC-budget". Not to mention the necessity of a new car. I think I'll be stuck with this configuration for a while.
    Well, having been denied low-budget F2Ps, I guess I'm off to revisiting old nostalgia titles. Mrw you're nostalgic for the original Crysis

Just out of futile hope: Anyone else maybe aware of a script, or a file, or a Steam command or something? :/

Thread Information