Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default President may grapple with same-sex marriage

The Supreme Court and the future of marriage
    McCain, Obama oppose gay marriages, but how to ban them is the issue

WASHINGTON - With four months to go until the election, msnbc.com is presenting a weekly series, Briefing Book: Issues '08 which will assess issues and controversies that the next president must confront once he takes the oath of office.

This week, we look at the courts and marriage. Can same-sex couples marry? Is such a right is guaranteed by state constitutions and by the United States Constitution?

As these controversies make their way to the Supreme Court, will the next president have the opportunity to appoint justices who'll address these questions?

Why it’s a problem
    For same-sex couples, the California Supreme Court’s May 15 ruling on marriage is an historic victory.

The state’s highest court ruled that the California’s constitution protects the right of same-sex couples to marry.

In doing so, the court overruled the state’s voters. In 2000, 61 percent of California voters approved a ballot measure that said “only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California.”

But the ruling poses a thorny election-year problem for both Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama.
    Both men have said that they oppose granting legal recognition to same-sex marriages.

But neither candidate wants to alienate voters who support marriage rights for same-sex couples. And gay and lesbian campaign donors can be a powerful force, particularly in the Democratic Party.

McCain cannot afford to forfeit the support of conservatives in his party who abhor gay marriage and who believe the California ruling is an example of judges imposing social policy changes on the electorate.

Apart from California, same-sex marriage is recognized only in Massachusetts, where the state’s highest court ruled in 2004 that the state’s constitution implied protection for marriages between two people of the same sex.

Forty-five states have laws prohibiting same-sex marriages, including 26 states with constitutional amendments that define marriage in the traditional terms: one man and one woman.

The California Supreme Court ruling may pose a problem for the 45 states that do not recognize same-sex marriages — if the United States Supreme Court eventually overturns the 1996 federal law called the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

That law, signed by President Clinton, says that no state shall be required to recognize any same-sex marriage performed in another state.

But if marriage to another person of the same sex is a fundamental right protected by the United States Constitution, then DOMA would be unconstitutional and same-sex marriages would be constitutionally protected in every state.

In that case, California same-sex couples would be able to move to any of the 45 states that don’t recognize same-sex marriages and those states would be compelled to grant recognition to their marriages.

The U.S. Supreme Court’s Lawrence v. Texas ruling in 2003, which struck down state sodomy laws, seemed to indicate that the court might someday rule that there is a constitutional right of gays and lesbians to marry.

The question of marriage itself was not before the court in the 2003 case, but the majority opinion, written by Justice Anthony Kennedy, said, “Our laws and tradition afford constitutional protection to personal decisions relating to marriage, procreation, contraception, family relationships, child rearing, and education."

The Constitution, Kennedy added, demands respect “for the autonomy of the person in making these choices.” Then he added, “Persons in a homosexual relationship may seek autonomy for these purposes, just as heterosexual persons do.”

Does the “autonomy” of which Kennedy spoke include the right to marry?

The court has not yet said. And that’s another reason why the future membership of the court and the justices appointed by either President McCain or President Obama will be so very important.

Where the candidates stand
    Both McCain and Obama have said they believe the states should decide their marriage policies. Both men have said they support civil unions, rather than full-fledged legal marriages between same-sex couples.

But McCain has been contradictory on civil unions, at times saying that he supports them, at other times saying he does not. "I do believe that people ought to be able to enter into contracts, exchange powers of attorney, other ways that people have relationships can enter into," he said in 2006.

On the day the California Supreme Court announced its ruling, Obama’s campaign issued a statement saying, “Barack Obama has always believed that same-sex couples should enjoy equal rights under the law, and he will continue to fight for civil unions as President. He respects the decision of the California Supreme Court, and continues to believe that states should make their own decisions when it comes to the issue of marriage.”

A proposed amendment to the state constitution will be on the ballot in California on Nov. 4 that will say, “Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.” If this is approved on Election Day, the state’s voters would overturn the state Supreme Court’s marriage decision.

McCain favors the proposed amendment to the California constitution.

“I support the efforts of the people of California to recognize marriage as a unique institution between a man and a woman, just as we did in my home state of Arizona," he said.

I actually sort of agree with both Obama and McCain on a couple of matters. I believe there shouldn't be same-sex marriage, because marriage is a bond between a man and a women.

I'm not saying I hate gays, but I think same-sex marriage is wrong. I just can't picture a man and a man together, but a women and a women I can sort of picture together. I don't know why, but I don't think it's right for a man and a man and a women and a women to be married.

My question to you guys is: Should same-sex marriage be granted in America, and/or in other countries?

Side note: Once again, I have nothing against gays, and don't hate them. (Just to put that out there)
    Come check out my YouTube channel, all about gaming tips and tricks and walkthroughs and even reviews!
    YouTube - MrGamertip's Channel

Raw I disagree with you
    I think that if people are in love
    they should get married
    I agree with you it seems really weird
    for a man and a man to get married or a
    women and a women to get married
    but if they are in love
    I think it should be allowed

* I know you dont hate gay people
    I am not saying you do *
    just to let you know

made by Th3-Devils-Princess
    Joe Mauer is the best catcher

I understand your opinion and respect it.

But I am willing to argue my point that same-sex marriage shouldn't be allowed.

If god made a man and a women, then it does mean something. He didn't make a man and a man now did he.

(Note: this is based on the Jewish bible. ie: adam + eve)
    Come check out my YouTube channel, all about gaming tips and tricks and walkthroughs and even reviews!

I also don't think same sexes should marry. I don't hate gay's either, its just that marriage is a ceremony. when gays get married, there breaking the ceremony.

yeah its awkward to see gays/lesbians to get married
    but how would you be in there position
    if you were attracted to the same sex
    wouldnt you want to marry the person you loved?

made by Th3-Devils-Princess
    Joe Mauer is the best catcher

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    I also don't think same sexes should marry. I don't hate gay's either, its just that marriage is a ceremony. when gays get married, there breaking the ceremony.
    Exactly. Marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a women. Not man and man or women and women.

God made it that way, I think we should follow it, and keep it that way.

I strongly disagree with you and look past your opinion and spew hatred words at your heterosexual fairytale life time.

Ahem.

The whole topic is basically surrounded by god.
    I say let there be gay marriage!
    It doesnt affect YOU so why should you care?
    if it makes them happy, why should you disagree?
    Times are changing, they always do, and people need to suck it up and accept it.
    You know what used to be weird?
    seeing women vote.
    EL OH EL

-shrugs-
    I don't see why it's SUCH a big issue, other than politicians and religious bible thumpers blowing it up beyond proportion.
    Why can't we just accept people the way they want to be, and let them be happy?
    Oh wait, thats right, because humans are ignorant and hypocritical beings.
    har!
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

I think its perfectly fine. Why shouldn't gays and lesbians be afforded the chance to live a life of misery and hate just like us straight married couples.

Quote Originally Posted by Raw! View Post
    I actually sort of agree with both Obama and McCain on a couple of matters. I believe there shouldn't be same-sex marriage, because marriage is a bond between a man and a women.

I'm not saying I hate gays, but I think same-sex marriage is wrong. I just can't picture a man and a man together, but a women and a women I can sort of picture together. I don't know why, but I don't think it's right for a man and a man and a women and a women to be married.
    I think it's wrong that you are opposed to gay marriage because you can't picture them together.
    So what?
    Why mess up the life they choose to lead just because people don't want to see them together.
    Can you imagine being in those shoes?

Then people try to pull the "they can't procreate" card.
    It's horrible because there are so many gay couples out there that are willing to adopt from the over filled foster care places and they won't allow it BECAUSE they're gay.

I'm getting on a whole different issue, lol.
    Sorry.

Thread Information