Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need some advice on a new gaming laptop

I'm about to buy a used Alienware Aurora m9700 for 430$ US. Here are the specs:

AMD Turion 64 ML-44 2.4GHz
    (2) PDP 1GB DDR PC3200 (2048MB Total)
    (2) 9700 NVIDIA 7900 GS w/ 256MB ***SLI*** (512MB Total)
    FUJITSU 60GB 5400RPM SATA
    24x DVD CD-RW COMBO LITE-ON OPTICAL DRIVE
    MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME
    AIRGO TECHNOLOGY WIRELESS NETWORK CARD

2 questions:

- Will I be able to run Assassin's Creed and Crysis on it?

- Is this a good purchase for a gaming laptop or should I look for something more powerful?

Thanks

Well, you need more ram for max quality and I think you'll be able to play 1 of those games on that laptop, I suggest you look for a better gaming laptop
    Winner of 9 Sig of the Weeks | Member since April 8th 2007

sounds cheap and pretty good, the two games you mentioned will work on there, but see if you can get windows xp pro edition, its a bit more secure and better imo.

but personally i prefer to use a desktop for gaming, its more stable and less likely to get hot and burn out. and of course you can pack in more power on a desktop
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Honestly, thats a piece of crap! $430 won't get you even CLOSE to the specs you're going to need to play Crysis and AC. If you really want a GAMING laptop, you aren't going to spend less than $1800. Period. Unless of course, you don't mind playing with the graphics turned ALLLLL THE WAY DOWN TO THE MINIMUM.

List of crap you're going to want:

Intel Pentium 2 Duo - Dual Core proc. No less than 2Ghz.
    2Gb of ram if not more.
    ATI X1850 video card or an Nvidia card of the same caliber or HIGHER.

Those items alone will run you $900 even if you were to go through a site like www.ibuypower.com or www.cyberpowerpc.com and build one yourself.

Hear my advice, stay the hell away from Alienware, Dell, HP, Gateway, etc if you want a gaming LAPTOP. They all suck. Trust me, I've literally tested them all. They work fine, and if you're a rich little bastard who has $3,000 - $4,000 to spend, them be my guest. But you're much better off building one yourself.

i want to add stay away from TOSHIBA! I've had 2 of them and they both failed me.

and you can actually go AMD instead of Intel because AMD can give you almost the same power you need but they are much cheaper - i've built a few custom computers myself and 100% of them were AMD lol
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Okay so.

I'm getting a laptop for college, and I want to be able to run some newer games on it (like titan quest, starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when they come out, supreme commander, MAYBE Crysis)

I'd be willing to turn the graphics down because i don't care as much about those but i still want it to look good.

what are some specifications for a laptop that won't cost me money but will be able to run those games?

1. Not sure about games.

2. I would get a desktop for gaming with xp and about 400 gbs

Quote Originally Posted by :Master: View Post
    1. Not sure about games.

2. I would get a desktop for gaming with xp and about 400 gbs
    what? where'd you come from

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
    Okay so.

I'm getting a laptop for college, and I want to be able to run some newer games on it (like titan quest, starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when they come out, supreme commander, MAYBE Crysis)

I'd be willing to turn the graphics down because i don't care as much about those but i still want it to look good.

what are some specifications for a laptop that won't cost me money but will be able to run those games?
    well i think you should have opened your own thread with this lol but anyway you can expect to pay around a $1000 but i won't say much more - if you need help with your own thing, open your own thread - master was probably responding to the thread opener's questions, so it can get a bit confusing

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    well i think you should have opened your own thread with this lol but anyway you can expect to pay around a $1000 but i won't say much more - if you need help with your own thing, open your own thread - master was probably responding to the thread opener's questions, so it can get a bit confusing
    I was gonna open my own thread but I thought i'd get yelled at because there's already a laptop thread...but i didn't know that master was allowed mack at the time, so i was like WTF when i saw he posted. I thought he like hacked your system or something lol

Thread Information