Default Mars Phoenix Lander Finally Samples Ice!

The mission of NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander has officially been extended for one month beyond its original mission, NASA announced today, as mission scientists also celebrated the news that a sample of ice was finally delivered to one of the lander's instruments.

"I'm very happy to announce that we've gotten an ice sample," said the University of Arizona's William Boynton, co-investigator for Phoenix's Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer, which heats up samples and analyzes the vapors they give off to determine their composition.

The news that ice had fallen into TEGA came on Thursday morning, surprising scientists who had run into problems delivering a sample of the icy dirt because of its unexpected stickiness.

"There were champagne corks popping in the downlink room," Boynton said during a NASA briefing from the University of Arizona at Tucson, where mission control is currently based. "It's something we've been waiting a long time for."

Click here for more.

When can I start moving out. Well not in my lifetime. Boo.

wonder if it'll find traces of life, like fossils of microscopic life...i wouldn't be surprised
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

start terraforming before 2100,please. also apparently they discovered something else but won't reveal till mid-Aug

Phoenix has Found Something More Compelling than Water: President Bush Informed | astroengine.com

Quote Originally Posted by jakncoke View Post
    start terraforming before 2100,please. also apparently they discovered something else but won't reveal till mid-Aug

Phoenix has Found Something More Compelling than Water: President Bush Informed | astroengine.com
    cool...i wonder what it is - maybe fossils of past life lol...if i'm right...i want a million dollars for predicting it!
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

i don't want to sound like a complete idiot but i don't get the importance can someone explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    i don't want to sound like a complete idiot but i don't get the importance can someone explain?
    Well there might be bacteria in the water

Quote Originally Posted by jakncoke View Post

I do wonder what that is?
    PM me if you have any problems. Just don't annoy me out of my wits.

Thread Information