Default Sony: Putting Blu-ray in PS3 is "Smartest Decision We Ever Made"

dailytech

Sony stands strong behind decision to include Blu-ray in the PS3

Those critical of the PlayStation 3?s price often point to the Blu-ray Drive components as culprits for the system?s spendiness. Not only has the inclusion of Blu-ray into PlayStation 3?s spec driven up the bill of materials cost, it?s also much to blame for the initial shortage of consoles at launch and the delayed release into Europe and Australia.

Sony said recently that it plans to have shortage problems solved by May. ?The blue laser diode, as you well know, had a blip short-term ramp up issue, which is now past; that's now behind us,? said Phil Harrison, SCE Worldwide Studios, in a GameDaily interview. ?That did cause us some challenges in being able to supply the launch worldwide, but that's all resolved.?

Some consumers clamor on Internet forums that the Blu-ray Drive?s added cost is nothing but another effort for Sony to sneak its HD format into the homes of consumers, and that Sony should remove Blu-ray functionality from the console and offer it as an add-on. Of course, such arguments seem to ignore that PS3 games also run off of blue laser media, and that the Blu-ray format can do more than just movies.

?We needed to have Blu-ray disc from a game design point of view. The chipsets in PS3 chew through data at such a rate that in order to build variety and detail and quality into the games, we need more than nine gigabytes,? Harrison added. ?Now, the fact that we could also adopt the preeminent next generation movie format into PS3 was an added bonus, not an added cost.?

Every new PlayStation generation features the latest in optical disc technology. The original PlayStation used optical media when Nintendo was still firmly planted into cartridges. The PlayStation 2 brought affordable DVD players into millions of homes. And the PlayStation 3 makes the generational jump to Blu-ray Disc.

Admittedly, the inclusion of the newest optical format has plagued the latest PlayStation more than formats of past, but Sony remains confident in the decision. ?No regrets whatsoever, and it's those kinds of decisions, painful though they were to live through in the last quarter of 2006, those are the decisions that are going to propel PlayStation 3 to be a platform that lasts for ten years, like we've seen with PS1 and PS2,? Harrison said. ?And it will be, I believe, reflected on as the smartest decision we ever made.?

http://www.checkemall.co.nr/
    Check your website's PR and Link Popularity in Google, Yahoo, and MSN

Default Re: Sony: Putting Blu-ray in PS3 is "Smartest Decision We Ever Made"

THey just want to get everything huh, well they should go all out if its gonna be their last console lol, lets see if its the smartest decision they ever made
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Default Re: Sony: Putting Blu-ray in PS3 is "Smartest Decision We Ever Made"

Will more than likely raise the sales of blu-ray discs though, so it probably is a good decision

hi! Eric's answering machine is currently broken. this is his refrigerator. please speak very slowly and ill attempt to stick your message to myself with a magnet

the extra space over dvd was so good to this gen too bad it cost them the gen though and billions of dollars

Thread Information