Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Snakes in decline

Snakes may be declining across the world, according to a global study.

Researchers examined records for 17 snake populations covering eight species over the last few decades, and found most had declined markedly.

For reasons that are not entirely clear, some populations shrank in number abruptly around 1998.

Writing in the journal Biology Letters, the researchers describe the findings as "alarming" but say much more work is needed to understand the causes.

"This is the first time that data has been analysed in this way, and what we've shown is that in different parts of the world we seem to have this steep decline in a short period," said project leader Chris Reading.

"It surprised us when we realised what we were looking at," he told BBC News.

"And we don't have a clue what it was about that period of time (around 199."

Dr Reading's team at the UK's Centre for Ecology and Hydrology ran the study with institutions in Australia, France, Italy and Nigeria.

Data deficiencies

The main problem for anyone wanting to conduct a global survey such as this is simply lack of data.

Monitoring snake populations means marking the individuals in some way - typically by snipping a pattern into their scales, or implanting a microchip.

Field seasons can last for many months, and have to be repeated annually.

The researchers believe they amassed most, if not all, long-term datasets for this study - although "long-term" in this context means going back more than one decade, in some cases more than two.

Nevertheless, within this relatively short timeframe, eight of the 17 populations were seen to fall markedly in size - some by more than 90% - with only one showing any sign of a rise.

Species in decline include the asp and the smooth snake from Europe, the Gabon viper and rhinoceros viper of West Africa, and the royal python.
    Asp being tagged
    Many of the studies involve tagging snakes so they can be followed

Populations shrank even in protected areas, suggesting that the progressive loss of habitat for wild animals being seen all over the world is not the only cause.

Similar steep declines observed in frogs and newts in an earlier period were eventually found to be caused by the fungal disease chytridiomycosis.

The year when many of the snake declines began - 1998 - raises the question of whether climatic factors might be involved, as very strong El Nino conditions contributed to making it the hottest year recorded in modern times.

Dr Reading's research group suggests many causes might be involved, and is appealing to other researchers to come forward with any more long-term datasets that might broaden the picture.

"The purpose of this paper was to say 'this is what we've found', and to say to other herpetologists 'now go and look at your own data'," he said.

"But I think that with so many populations in different places showing decline, it's more than co-incidence."

Natural disease killing or they can't adapt to the warming planet. That's my 2 theories, sucks man though. Snakes are cool. I want to eat one some day

Never been a fan of snakes myself but oh well lol

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Awwwwww, snakes are awesome though

I will draw a rainbow snake later in tribute

^ Sig by Foofle ^

dang, that's sad. I used to have a pet snake, but it died due to aging. or maybe it was temperature causes, what you said... thanks for sharing, rather interesting

my brother was obsessed with snakes
    that would be his dream job like to study reptiles and snakes and stuff.
    but this is sad
    we need to save the snakes

made by Th3-Devils-Princess
    Joe Mauer is the best catcher

i think a rainbow snake is a diss to the species, they arent suppose to look at trippy

D: But I love snakes.

I MUST START BREEDING THEM
    FOR GREAT JUSTICE

also its probably one of the things jaks sujested.
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

I find them gross. I touched a snake once and it was pretty disguising, as I could feel his guts under the skin. I will never find them attractive.

awww, but they're the cutest! D:
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

i love snakes and i will own one. my boy has a few pythons and had one of the babies tattooed wraped around his whole arm. Snakes are ****in awesome

Thread Information