Thread: OnLive

Default OnLive

The $99 gaming PC: the OnLive microconsole in pictures

OnLive promises to bring PC gaming to any device with a fast Internet connection. Since the heavy lifting is done on the company's own computers and then streamed to you, the hardware doesn't need to be technically impressive. Starting on December 2, you'll be able to purchase a standalone console to access the service.

The microconsole comes with a single controller and one game download. Here's our first look at the hardware, with a full review of the service coming very soon. This may not be the future of gaming, but it's certainly an interesting experiment.
    There's some pictures of the controller, the console, and size comparisons in the link. What do people think of this? The idea of having their own servers handle the games, and simply streaming you the footage seems like it might work, but they'd need a MASSIVE computer to handle it, and you'd need an amazing internet connection. I don't see it catching on full-time, but it might become a niche thing.

Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
    What do people think of this?
    This looks redonkulous.

It takes me back to the old school video game industry when companies would release a console that was "in between" two consoles as far as looks and games...an attempt, if you will, to grasp the masses and construct it into a more singular entertainment system. But....yeah it just looks super old school. The controller looks like a hunchback version of the PS2 controller. Looks huge. And then the console is small? WTF I might lose that on the way home.

I don't see it catching on. Maybe it will, I'm not an expert. Actually no, I could see it catching on. All games on one console, that's the gist right? That's purty cool. I'm writing this as my opinion collapses.

Well, the controller is about the size of a 360 controller, there's just more stuff underneath the joysticks.

I could see this catching on and becoming a niche kinda thing, but i doubt it will ever become the main way to play games. Unless somebody can invent some sort of virtual server that can keep increasing it's space and doesn't take up much physical space, or something

I tried a beta of it, it was interesting..

You could literally watch anyone play and others could easily watch you and there was no loading or anything on your side.

The concept is revolutionary, but the delivery is lacking. The game list is too small to be practical, the graphics aren't up to par due to compression, and it's been clearly stated that any game you buy a "playpass" for can be removed from OnLive at any given time.

what kind of game is that?

It's a console, sort of. It's hard to explain, so you should probably just Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    The concept is revolutionary, but the delivery is lacking. The game list is too small to be practical, the graphics aren't up to par due to compression, and it's been clearly stated that any game you buy a "playpass" for can be removed from OnLive at any given time.
    It's prolly a little to before it's time.

Thread Information