Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What draws you into or pulls you out of a game?

What most draws you into games? I'm going to explain what draws me into games by comparing 2 games: Metal Gear Solid and FEAR. Both games you control a soldier or whatever and you're going through a lot of samey-looking rooms trying to complete a mission. FEAR on one hand, focuses on the gameplay, with snippets of plot here and there, and some horror elements here and there. That doesn't interest me. MGS, however, makes storytelling a large part of the game, almost equal with gameplay. And the game doesn't focus on action, even though there are action sequences. There is a good balance between fighting and exploration, and also a good balance between gameplay and story. Another game that really drew me in was (another older game) System Shock 2. There's not nearly as much storytelling in this game, but it once again strikes a perfect balance between action and exploration. A lot of the game is spent exploring areas, solving puzzles and trying to move on, and enemies are put here and there to add to the challenge. Another game I found engaging was (yet another old game) The Legend of Dragoon. It has typical RPG gameplay, but there is a lot of focus on the characters, with a lot of sections without any action, simply extended dialogue. The combat isn't the focus of the game, but it's the focus of the gameplay. That is my problem with a lot of today's games, the focus of the game is on the combat, and it loses the balance that I enjoy in a game. I see enemies as an obstacle that you need to defeat to get from point A to point B, but a lot of games (let's say, Halo) have it so you need to get from point A to point B in order to fight more enemies (at least, that's how I see it)

Short version: I'd rather games have a balanced experience instead of an intense main focus on combat and have other elements to give you a reason to fight.

What does it (or doesn't do it) for you?

I dont need a epic story to like a game if the gameplay is good. And I dont need epic battles if the story IS good.

One example Myst, you cant die, no action whatsoever and almost no characters. But I still love it.

call of duty serie. Epic battles, story not so important and really fun to play.

And cs, no story at all. Only action.

Good Multiplayer pulls me in. That's why I played CS for like a decade. As Paecmaker pointed out, it has no story, just online and that's all I need. Same goes for the current games I play now like l4d2 and bfbc2. Tetris is an exception...
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

I like a game that is hard to play... I dont mean a game with crappy controls but one that take some skill to play... I like a hard mode to be actually hard and makes you think of every move you do before you do it...

A lot of game nowadays arent like that... Some games have extreme mode and its no different the normal mode.... I hate that...

I fall for the Games with Amazing Graphics. I played ff13 just cuzz it looked cool and i like the jaw dropping moments.
    But other then graphics a game has to have a great stylized Feel
    games like GOW and DMC both are fun because the way the battles are. Same for KH.
    I also love story and unique gameplay Which is why I love MGS.
    Next is if the game has its own brand of awesome Such as all rock stars games have great voice acting and story. And all Bethesda games have wonderful open worlds.
    I like to know the companies strong points.
    Linx....Is me

Storyline and gameplay is what draws me deeply into a game. Halo:Reach is a perfect example of this I played it all the way through with very little breaks and what not because it was pretty badass. I dont believe in video games that make me do task one-task 1 bazillion without a purpose and that is one of the biggest things that turn me away from video games. Even if i Hate the game I will still complete it just because I dont like to leave video games uncompleted.

I really don't care about graphics... many of my favorite games are from the 90s or earlier, or don't have graphics at all, or just simply have bad graphics...

Atmosphere is a big part of it though. Having a world being big and open is not the same as FEELING big and open, and the latter is superior. It's not often I get to feel the magic of a game, but when I do, it's that first initial awe that can draw me into it for the long run (This isn't always true, of course.) For example, the first time I loaded up Morrowind, and started walking around the world, or Hexen II, or figuring out my way around Nethack... love it.

I guess I can say, a lot of times I like exposition. My favorite games (legend of dragoon and metal gear solid) both have a lot of exposition, but some other games I really like (megaman battle network series, most j rpgs, grand theft auto 4) have a lot of exposition. Of course, i enjoy games that don't have exposition, or there are games with a lot of exposition that I don't like (for example, red and blue I feel are the best pokemon games (aside from some areas that lack polish) because they're so simple, and it lets you assume the role of the character. once they tried adding a plot and stuff....no)

It depends entirely on the type of game. If I'm playing F1, then the whole competitiveness is the main pulling force of the game. The immersion in games like Assassin's Creed is more related to the narrative. The whole curiosity of what's the next move? where is the story going now?

These aren't the only aspects which are important of course; the whole experience in general is important for whether I am drawn in or not.

I really draw to games based off historical moments. Those are usually action and/or hacknslash games though, but not always. I'm also a fan of the epic storyline. Hence my appreciation of the Final Fantasies. However, if the storyline is weak, typically my fascination with it is also.

Thread Information