Default RPG blending with other genres

Are RPGs better blended with FPS(first person shooters) or RTS(real time strategy)....?

Im more a traditional JRPG guy but out of the 2 you mentioned id have to say Real time strategy i really love baldurs gate and thats pretty much the definition of RTS and RPG blended together.

Exactly what is asked.... do people look for the action more or strategic gameplay in an rpg... i've got an even poll so far where ever i've asked....

I dont know, I enjoyed spellforce 2 (rpgrts) but I also love Mass effect (rpg tps)

It all depends on what games there are, many fps games today got rpg influences but rts is more rare.

Im split and I cant really answer that question yet.

Yes, again choice... but... considering the "role playing" feature... i feel the action packed ones are more in sync.... single player or leading to MMO's... and the new witcher series speaks itself on arguement.... i find the rts versions cant sustain the RPG aspect properly....

I think Role-playing games originated as something to work strategy into. To keep the game true to its root, more strategy-based elements are appropriate in comparison to action-based. Though the trend these days is focusing more on action than strategy. It's true you can have both but strategy is better.

Xbox Live: event decay

Playstation Network: mutilations
    What is reality compared to me?

Quote Originally Posted by mutilations View Post
    I think Role-playing games originated as something to work strategy into. To keep the game true to its root, more strategy-based elements are appropriate in comparison to action-based. Though the trend these days is focusing more on action than strategy. It's true you can have both but strategy is better.
    couldnt agree with you more RPGs where around long before the action genre dipped there fingers in the mix they are just an offshoot of the RPG genre an evolution if you will.

Yes, true, thats the origin, from rts... now that the kind of diversity available in strategic elements, one can afford to make the game more action packed.. that elimitaing the core being realtime strategy, making the game more absorbing... i think rpgs drifted backbone as they evolved........

Personally, I would be more interested in a RPG/FPS blend, rather than RTS. When there's noticeably more strategy than action, I tend to get bored easy.

Am I the only one that really digs the turn-based approach? I love to be able to plan everything do too.

Xbox Live: event decay

Playstation Network: mutilations
    What is reality compared to me?

Thread Information