Default Define gaming addiction.

Hi Everyone,

I’m conducting a study as part of my MSc into understanding gaming behaviour from the point-of-view of gamers.

Following your comments on a pervious tread, I found that many gamers consider gaming addiction to exist.

I would like to find out how you define addiction, is it the same as other types of addiction or different.

Thank you for your help.

Hmmm.... gaming addiction.... I suppose there are different levels. I consider myself an addict in the sense that I always want to be playing games. However, I'm not an addict in the sense that I let those urges to play games interfere with real life and obligations. I work, even though I'd rather be gaming. I do chores, hang out with friends, etc etc, even though I'd rather be gaming. I think to not be considered a full blown addict, you need to be able to prioritize life around gaming and control those urges.

Just like Mizel says there are many levels, I am probably addicted as I play games most of the time Im free, however I still do other things and while others sit inside for days without even eating.

gaming addiction works just like any other addiction.

I'd say it's an addiction when it completely controls your life. Everything you do is focused on playing games and it ruins other parts of your life (family, work, relationships, etc.). So pretty much just like any other addiction.

Gaming addiction: addicted to playing video games. Not that complex of a subject.

Shout out to Eggs for the awesome signature

There are points in the day when I find that thinking about playing games is interfering with whatever I'm doing, or I'm becoming distracted etc. Those are the times when I do have to go and sit down in front of the TV and play for a while. Nothing untoward happens if I don't do it, but I find myself grumpy or disinterested in whatever I'm supposed to be doing. Now I used to be addicted to prescription medication and when I got the urge to take it I had to take it.

But for me personally, with games, the addiction can be ignored a lot more easily.

I'm sure there are people out there with serious problems though. People with addictive personalities can find solace in RPG's when their own lives aren't going to plan. They find themselves creating a perfect life within a controlled environment and it can be very hard to give that up and come back to reality.

hmm honestly i dont think addictions are really anything. just a word used to not blame yourself.

what you do is called a choice.
    what is referred to as addiction is merely senseless choosing.

but yes i have been known to make those choices with gaming such as
    i have my finals tomorrow....but im almost done. then going to sleep at 5 am and waking up two hours later. terrible choice. by your terms, sinking into addiction.

all it is is lack of will. just like any other "addiction"

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTrynPlz View Post
    Gaming addiction: addicted to playing video games. Not that complex of a subject.
    Whoa whoa whoa. This is an extremely complex topic that requires much debate.

Thread Information