Hybrid View

Stating my system makes me feel like an ectomorph flexing in front of professional lifters I know it is severely outdated, but I am not looking at newer games. I'm thinking about titles south of 2010; after all, I'm not talking serious gaming here - just want the experience.

I'd invest the money into a new PC, and then save up again for a new 3DTV
    The TV's main purpose will be experiencing movies at a whole new level - gaming would be an accessory. Not to mention I could still use it for 2D gaming.
    Also, a new PC would be entirely for myself, whereas a 3D TV is something for the whole household - so I'm taking the less selfish route.

The benchmarks I'm finding online are showing 30-45FPS for games like Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3 on high, and up to about 80 on low for those ones
    Well that's odd. I remember playing those games (and many more) with a Geforce 9600 GSO 768 MB (which is objectively weaker than the GTS 250), and getting very smooth framerates at 1080p.
    While I can't be sure if it was over 120fps, as my monitor is 60Hz, I can guarantee that it was a solid 60 fps.
    And none of them were set to low. In fact, it used to run most games at max settings, with the exception of AA and shadows (and in later years, other fancy stuff).
    I was especially proud of Crysis (then) and Batman: Arkham Origins (now).
    So why should the GTS 250 be any less competent?

btw, Is hitting 120fps an absolute necessity? If the computer can get up to 60, the TV will produce 30fps, right? - Which is still playable.
    Also, resolutions are tweakable; not to mention I am the absolute opposite of a graphics snob. (with my rig I better be, lol)

What I really want to know is whether the 3D itself puts extra strain on the computer. And whether it works for framerates lower than 120fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr1chton View Post
    Well that's odd. I remember playing those games (and many more) with a Geforce 9600 GSO 768 MB (which is objectively weaker than the GTS 250), and getting very smooth framerates at 1080p. I was especially proud of Crysis (then) and Batman: Arkham Origins (now).
    So why should the GTS 250 be any less competent?
    The benchmarks I were looking at didn't specify the CPU used and at what speeds, but they did all show at 1080p resolution. There are many different things that could happen in performing them to change the performance, unfortunately I just have google on hand to try and find it out I'm not super great with hardware that hasn't come out in the last 2-3 years as I'm fairly new to PC gaming myself, just trying to find what I can!

btw, Is hitting 120fps an absolute necessity? If the computer can get up to 60, the TV will produce 30fps, right? - Which is still playable.
    Also, resolutions are tweakable; not to mention I am the absolute opposite of a graphics snob. (with my rig I better be, lol)
    The only reason I mentioned it hitting was because you said you'd like the games at 1080p 60FPS in the 3D, which would require 120FPS consistently. From what I could find scrounging around, you'd really be pushing on some of the games closer to 2010-2012 to be hitting that, but again I just have Google at hand to try and find the information.

What I really want to know is whether the 3D itself puts extra strain on the computer. And whether it works for framerates lower than 120fps.
    The 3D itself shouldn't be any different from a regular display. It's not pushing the CPU/GPU to render/process anything faster than normal, it just splits the framerate.(Woops, this piece was wrong. It's like Trunks said, it will require more power but being NVIDIA it shouldn't be too much more.) If you're fine with 24/30FPS (what console games and movies are usually locked to) you only need to be able to get 48/60FPS on your desired graphic quality.Anything lower than 1080p would not look good when rendering the 3D, as the display itself is made to be used at that resolution when producing the 3D effect. This would be like plugging your subwoofer in to the wrong speaker on your home theatre. It would not be doing what it's supposed to and not be near as good. For regular gaming though, lower resolutions would work just fine.

Hope this helped!
    Last edited by ROFLBRYCE; 02-20-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Thread Information